Opinion on Orlando's I-4 Conroy Exit bridge sign?

bsutter2

I, for one, am an avid bridge fan. And it pleases me to no end when aesthetics are incorporated into bridge design. Landscaping on embankments, colored girders, decorative lighting, etc., can make something that is otherwise rudimentary and functional into a form of expression, a work of art.

In my neck of the woods I have been watching with intrigue as an old overpass (probably built in the late 50s, early 60s) is being torn down and a new one rebuilt, so that the four-lane roadway beneath it can be widened to six lanes. Some of the new flyover ramps being built down here are extraordinary and provide rare opportunities to see the cityscape from up high.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's an entire Business Improvement District (BID) that was set up for the Millenia (sic) bridge financing. We don't have soooo much time on our hands... we're actually people who do these projects, ya know. B)

In fact, this freeway interchange didn't magically materialize out of thin air... this was financed by a special tax on the properties a Millenia (sic) --- the "BID".

I've obviously taken for granted here in Orlando what so many good people have worked hard to build. Personally, I hardly goto the Mall at Millenia, but when I do go, I enjoy the convenience of the bridge. So thanks to all who built it and forgive me for trivializing an very important part of Urban planning! :cry:

Archived