Atherton Mill Redevelopment

archiham04

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have any specifics on when the retail portion of this redevelopment will open?  The website only says "opening in 2019."  No specifics.  Ricky Davis Fan 21 had said it would be in September.  Now we're more than halfway through September.  And how about that Rail Trail segment?  It would be nice for that to open up soon to give pedestrians connectivity to Publix from the Rail Trail.

http://athertonmillandmarket.com/development/

10 minutes ago, JacksonH said:

Does anyone have any specifics on when the retail portion of this redevelopment will open?  The website only says "opening in 2019."  No specifics.  Ricky Davis Fan 21 had said it would be in September.  Now we're more than halfway through September.  And how about that Rail Trail segment?  It would be nice for that to open up soon to give pedestrians connectivity to Publix from the Rail Trail.

http://athertonmillandmarket.com/development/

I don't care when the retail portion opens. I just want South Blvd sidewalks and a traffic signal at McDonald to be completed. 

• Like 2

It'll be really interesting to see how this development ends up working, because it's really the first one that's trying to face both the rail and South Blvd, right? So far it seems like developments have picked one or the other.  I'm interested in the practicality of having retail facing both directions, parking traffic vs walking traffic, etc. I wonder if retail facing the trail will do better than retail facing South, or vice-versa. I'm also hopeful for the day when someone along the rail figures out how to face both directions but hides the parking deck in the middle so it truly is a double-facing site.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Madison Parkitect said:

It'll be really interesting to see how this development ends up working, because it's really the first one that's trying to face both the rail and South Blvd, right? So far it seems like developments have picked one or the other.  I'm interested in the practicality of having retail facing both directions, parking traffic vs walking traffic, etc. I wonder if retail facing the trail will do better than retail facing South, or vice-versa. I'm also hopeful for the day when someone along the rail figures out how to face both directions but hides the parking deck in the middle so it truly is a double-facing site.

The only items facing the Rail will be Legion, Indaco, Vin Master, Not Just Coffee and Luna's Living Kitchen. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, kermit said:

Durham photo is actually of Brightleaf square, not ATC.  Its conversion from tobacco manufacturing to retail / office was done in the late 1980s / early 1990s, it may have been the first redevelopment project in central Durham.

The Atherton parking deck is a travesty of a mockery of a sham.

you are correct and American Tobacco looks like that too with natural areas and extensive landscaping.  and Brightleaf Square did get the ball rolling with redevelopment of the tobacco warehouses in the Bull City. 

• Like 3

This thread is titled Atherton Mill and I defy anyone unfamiliar with this area to find the Atherton Mill without assistance. I know it is there, somewhere, but will anyone ever know after this? The mills on the north line are celebrated. This one is hidden, embarrassed to be seen. Is that better than demolition?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, tarhoosier said:

This thread is titled Atherton Mill and I defy anyone unfamiliar with this area to find the Atherton Mill without assistance. I know it is there, somewhere, but will anyone ever know after this? The mills on the north line are celebrated. This one is hidden, embarrassed to be seen. Is that better than demolition?

you can at least see it from the Rail trail and it is better than demo.   I guess the best example of mill saves in SouthEnd is the Design center and the old Nebel Mill. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, t_money said:

Why don't more buildings utilize the roof of their building?  Decks, plants, something?

Is it too expensive? Or just not practical? Seems like a lot of good real estate to just have 100 A/C units.

It's cost, no developer is going to put money into something nobody is going to see if they're not required to. Every added weight adds structural cost, and especially for plants there's a lot that goes into roof systems/drainage/etc. Green roofs are pretty heavy.