5/3 Bank to sell downtown campus, remain as tenant

GRBorn

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/6/2016 at 0:38 PM, Dj Augustine said:

Hopefully CWD will come up with a plan faster then they have on 50 Monroe.  

The Monroe St. building is likely to be converted to a hotel.

I've heard 50 Monroe too will be a hotel.  De-skinned.  Scrapping the hotel that we saw a few years back for the parking lot.

I think 50 Monroe is slowly being drained of tenants. I know a bunch of radio stations are in the building, but I think they've let a lot of leases expire (Huntington, TGI Fridays). 

It they re-skin this building, I will venture to say it'll be my favorite project (without even seeing the plans).

There was a lot of buzz about this in February, and then nothing. TBD I guess.

Joe

11 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

I think 50 Monroe is slowly being drained of tenants. I know a bunch of radio stations are in the building, but I think they've let a lot of leases expire (Huntington, TGI Fridays). 

It they re-skin this building, I will venture to say it'll be my favorite project (without even seeing the plans).

There was a lot of buzz about this in February, and then nothing. TBD I guess.

Joe

The hope is to de-skin to the original 2 buildings, they just need to see what they have underneath first

I say tear down 50 Monroe. The black skin is better then the white skin but the floor plan sucks. I'm sure deskining and transforming back into 2 buildings isn't worth it. Tear down and make one nice building. 20 stories. 6 stories of watertower place style shopping. 5 stories of hotel. 9 stories of grade A office space!

4 hours ago, SupercityGR said:

I say tear down 50 Monroe. The black skin is better then the white skin but the floor plan sucks. I'm sure deskining and transforming back into 2 buildings isn't worth it. Tear down and make one nice building. 20 stories. 6 stories of watertower place style shopping. 5 stories of hotel. 9 stories of grade A office space!

I've also read it's not worth the restoration underneath but if they can do anything like they did with the Rowe, I'd be for it.

Here's an old sketch by GRDad that was pretty cool.

IMG_2437.JPG

31 minutes ago, WMrapids said:

I've also read it's not worth the restoration underneath but if they can do anything like they did with the Rowe, I'd be for it.

Here's an old sketch by GRDad that was pretty cool.

IMG_2437.JPG

Haha, wow that was a long time ago. 

I don't think it's out of the possibility that they re-skin 50 Monroe. Aldrich Place on Monroe Center was in terrible shape, had all ornamental elements stripped off and replaced with nasty aggregate rock. I still remember the only thing not rock panels above the first floor were fire access doors. It was nasty. They used the "ghosted" imprints of ornamental elements and photos to redo the whole building. 

I don't know what 50 Monroe looks like underneath, but it has been done (and done well) in downtown GR in the not so distant past.

Joe

I think the thought with 50 Monroe was to bring back the two facades. One in the west side, one on tthe east. If an AC Hotel were to take up the west building (as speculated), the east building could be used for something completely different. And there is still a LARGE chunk of developable land between the parking lot at 50 Monroe and Davenport's graduate building (which I'd have to say is underused space I'm that prime location). It could really be a spectacular block blending old and new (and with the BOB additions). 

Joe

37 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

CWD has released renderings/concepts for possible changes to the streetscape at the 5/3 center.  It includes opening up the stone walls to include retail/bars/restaurants/office and new access points to the plaza above. 

-a02c1ec2f6a6ba22.JPG

-fbfff88ff1630ca3.JPG

That's kinda cool. Kind of like the "mall" idea we all had for this area. 

31 minutes ago, x99 said:

Anyone else notice that Warner Norcross & Judd logo on these "long term" renderings?  I find that to be very curious, since last I checked there was no logo facing Monroe, and a 5/3 logo facing Lyon... Odd.  

I noticed that.  I wonder if they want to move WN&J to the Gas building while the new black mini-fridge goes up, so they can rehab the entire OKB tower like they did with the Calder Plaza building?

3 hours ago, x99 said:

Anyone else notice that Warner Norcross & Judd logo on these "long term" renderings?  I find that to be very curious, since last I checked there was no logo facing Monroe, and a 5/3 logo facing Lyon... Odd.  

5/3 employees on floors 1-3 in the Old Kent building have moved to the Gas building so renovations could take place. They plan to have ALL 5/3 employees moved to the Old Kent building no later than June 2017.  Maybe WNJ will move to Gas building around that time? 

Archived