Premier Apartments (Completed)

urbanvb

An interesting article about a small theater coming to Town Center. Sounds like a good fit.

http://hamptonroads.com/entertainment/766044/2015/10/designed-experimental-artistic-hub-new-theater-town-center-thinks-small

The article mentioned a permanent theater being constructed with an opening date of 2017. I'm curious where it will be placed.

An interesting article about a small theater coming to Town Center. Sounds like a good fit.

http://hamptonroads.com/entertainment/766044/2015/10/designed-experimental-artistic-hub-new-theater-town-center-thinks-small

This is the type of funky, eclectic thing you'd expect to pop up in a real downtown. More of this please, both in and around Town Center. I wonder if the permanent theater is referring to plans for block 9?

• Like 1

On October 30, 2015 at 10:20:05 PM, urbanvb said:

Still hoping one day an upscale movie theater is buillt. That Regal is just so small. 

It's amazing how things change. I remember back in the day Regal was considered one of the best theaters, then AMC came along and blew them out of the water. The only reason I go there now is if there is a movie playing there that isn't playing at AMC (it happens).

• 3 weeks later...

On the November 17th VBDA agenda.

CLOSED SESSION

1. PROSPECTIVE BUSINESS OR INDUSTRY: Discussion concerning a prospective business or industry or the expansion of an existing business or industry where no previous announcement has been made of the business’ or industry’s interest in locating or expanding its facilities in the community, pursuant to Va. Code § 2.2-3711(A)(5). (Town Center) 

Something's  afoot. Wonder if this is one of the projects we mentioned up thread or something different? Announcement of a block 2 tower would be a great Christmas present. :D

1 hour ago, vdogg said:

On the November 17th VBDA agenda.

CLOSED SESSION

1. PROSPECTIVE BUSINESS OR INDUSTRY: Discussion concerning a prospective business or industry or the expansion of an existing business or industry where no previous announcement has been made of the business’ or industry’s interest in locating or expanding its facilities in the community, pursuant to Va. Code § 2.2-3711(A)(5). (Town Center) 

Ikea maybe? I've heard rumors of one coming to this area, and the company denied any plans to come here a couple years ago. The HQ lot - as much as I'd love to see that developed into more towers - is a great location.

The proposed shops and theater, which would be built under a public-private partnership with Armada Hoffler Properties, will stand several stories high and connect via a skybridge to a neighboring block, said Davenport and Councilman John Moss. Moss said that skyway would go to a parking garage and that no additional parking is planned.

"Several stories high" sounds pretty intriguing. Crossing my fingers for a design resembling the new Cavalier...

Edited by BFG

That must be it. I'll have to break this out into a separate thread when we get more details. I especially like this quote.

"The proposed shops and theater, which would be built under a public-private partnership with Armada Hoffler Properties, will stand several stories high and connect via a skybridge to a neighboring block, said Davenport and Councilman John Moss. Moss said that skyway would go to a parking garage and that no additional parking is planned."

I mean, 100 apartments and all that stuff on the smallest block in TC means they have to stack floors. It has to be at least as tall as the Cosmo. Might hit 20, don't think we'll see any 30's out of this one though.

"Residential tower" I'm getting excited. In that location I'm guessing 15-20. 5 floors for theater, restaurant and entertainment, 10 for the upper apartment portion. Perhaps 20 if the apartment portion grows, which it might since there's a waiting list (Westin started at 32 and grew to 38). Whatever it is I'm really hoping for something that stands out in the skyline. We need to fill the gap between the Westin and Clark Nexsen.

14 hours ago, tallguy81" said:

http://looplink.divaris.com/xNet/Looplink/Profile/Profile.aspx?stid=/broker/divaris&LID=15888409&LL=true&UOMListing=&UOMMoneyCurrency=&RentPer=PY&SRID=6525351733

Apparently the old block 2 tower plan must be back on track because the page was updated only 23 days ago.

That one's different. This proposed building sounds like it's going on Block 9, since it will connect to the Cosmopolitan.

I'm gonna miss having that parking lot during construction...

1 hour ago, BFG said:

That one's different. This proposed building sounds like it's going on Block 9, since it will connect to the Cosmopolitan.

I'm gonna miss having that parking lot during construction...

During construction? That lot is going away forever. We really need to get some green space in that area now for public gatherings. That "park" across the street isn't going cut it.

8 hours ago, BFG said:

I say during construction because I thought there's going to be a garage as well. But yeah, a true park would be nice, esp. with a small amphitheater setup for shows.

No garage with this one from what I've read. That's why they have a crosswalk to the Westin garage. This one is going to be all building, which is rare in this area.

Things are picking up! I'm excited at the prospects. So do we indeed have block 2 and block 9 being looked at? 

I was riding around TC tonight and I have never seen so many cars exiting the interstate and cars parked around Barnes and Noble. Folks were driving around looking for spaces. Maybe something was happening at the Sandler Center. At any rate, folks were around town! :D

Edited by urbanvb