Premier Apartments (Completed)

urbanvb

2 hours ago, metalman said:

Out of curiosity I checked the original 2007 tower article.  The office space sqftage is the same at 350,000.  It also mention 40,000 sqftage of retail, not to mention parking garage.

My point is, then the 80,000 sqftage figure for block 9 is retail/business.

The block 9 mixture has changed significantly. That retail/ business mix is now retail/entertainment/residential. Also, the only garage the skywalk can possibly connect to is the Westin, the Cosmo garage is on the side opposite where block 9 is ( it faces Clark Nexsen)

"Moss said that skyway would go to a parking garage and that no additional parking is planned."

The skywalk could connect to the Cosmo, you would just have to enter from the CN side and walk across to the other side. That side of the garage is fairly empty most of the time, and there is a stairwell there. There is more retail on the Cosmo/CN side of TC than on the Westin so it depends on what they really plan on doing. Spread the retail, or keep it closer together.

I'm a bit concerned about all the skyways being put in. It's a well-known fact that they limit pedestrian interactions on the street level, making them seem empty and cold. Not sure if that's what you want when building a new city from scratch.

On the plus side, with all of the of the news coming out of Hampton Roads, it's a nice change of pace from the Charlotte-Nashville circle-jerk that this forum is sometimes.

3 hours ago, metalman said:

No, no.  I wasn't hypothesizing.  It's going to connect to the Cosmo.  The parking garage is right next to block 9.  The entrance is not, but the 2nd-4th floor is. 

You must have missed it in the article.  I couldn't link it.  Reread the 4th paragraph.

I guess I'm confused then. How are you going to connect to that side of the Cosmo without going through someone's apartment? I guess I'll have to ride down there and take a look but I thought it was all apartments and retail on that side.

The apts start on floor 5.  There are open views into/out of the parking garages for 3 floors above Daily Grind and such.  There is also a staircase you can take in and out of the garage that spits out between Daily Grind and whatever shop is next to it.

They can do it, they have the technology.  :) 

well having a bit of experience myself with projects like this,lets think.we have a small plot to work with and portions of the block will be used to house the other portions of the project, leaving a small footprint for the tower. we have 100 units and say they start 5 floors up and they squeeze four units per floor we could see could see a 30 floor building here. but watch it be like 25. even with that and some design elements i think we'll be in the 300-350ft range 

9 hours ago, metalman said:

You think only four units per floor?  They only mentioned studio and 1 bedroom apartments.  What are we looking at; 600-1000 sqftage per apt?

I'm estimating 10 units per floor on top of 5 floors of retail/theater/etc. I've seen buildings with 5 units per floor so if it's that we're pushed into the 20-25 range. Keep in mind "several floors" could mean everything. For some people several could mean anything above 5. That's why I'm not getting my hopes up. It's an oddly worded and vague statement. They could've simply given us a floor range like they usually do but they didn't.

And now that we're arguing semantics "more than 100" could mean anything from 101 to 199, which would substantially increase the height. I will say this though, $42 million sounds awfully cheap for the sheer amount of items they've listed for this development. I know that not having to build a parking garage decreases costs significantly but still. I'm hoping we get a good product for that price, I'd really like to see some good and imaginative architecture.

10 hours ago, vdogg said:

And now that we're arguing semantics "more than 100" could mean anything from 101 to 199, which would substantially increase the height. I will say this though, $42 million sounds awfully cheap for the sheer amount of items they've listed for this development. I know that not having to build a parking garage decreases costs significantly but still. I'm hoping we get a good product for that price, I'd really like to see some good and imaginative architecture.

i wish man...that sounds very cheap though,if only the budget was even 80 million.i'd like to see a glass curtain personally, doubt it though.where is the meeting tomorrow?

19 minutes ago, bluebright1 said:
  1. 19 minutes ago, bluebright1 said:

I do not know how to get rid of quotes i mistakenly put in my reply box

10 hours ago, vdogg said:

I will never stop looking for pictures of future developments including this one.  there is one out there somewhere of a 9 or 14 story tower for hampton

Edited by tallguy81"

Well, bad news is at 9-10  stories it's not gonna help the skyline at all. Good news is it's a fantastic looking development. Disappointed with the height (block 2 is our only hope) but it is a good development. I figured once I saw the cost we'd be topping out at mid rise level. There's still time for it to grow though.

28 minutes ago, vdogg said:

Well, bad news is at 9-10  stories it's not gonna help the skyline at all. Good news is it's a fantastic looking development. Disappointed with the height (block 2 is our only hope) but it is a good development. I figured once I saw the cost we'd be topping out at mid rise level. There's still time for it to grow though.

Yeah, I was thinking 9 stories?!? Could they at least reach double digits! Either way, I'm excited for Phase VI and I think that it will significantly add to the urban feel even though it won't add to the skyline. Dyer was opposed to spending a measly $2M from the TIF fund and the EDIP to support the project. He just won't quit. 

Wonder why only 9-10 stories...that's shorter than the Clark Nexsen building, if I'm not mistaken. That said, I found a couple pics from the Powerpoint, and overall, I'm pretty impressed. It's a very sleek building, and stands out from the traditional "concrete tower" look. Very Euro! Hopefully the Pembroke office park space will start to look similar in the future.

Just for fun, I also attached a shot of Town Center from 1998. Amazing to see just how much that area has grown!

TC.jpg

TC2.jpg

tc98.jpg

Edited by BFG

Of course it would be awesome if it was taller, but I think the important thing is that we're now starting to see these few blocks finally getting filled up. Height isn't necessarily important in a city (aesthetics aside); density is. Only a matter of time before the land opposite gets built up. 

Here is the link to the powerpoint online.

Edited by OBXastronaut

48 minutes ago, bluebright1 said:
On November 23, 2015 at 10:15:32 AM, vdogg said:

how do i get the qoute out of my chat lmao

I've been having this problem too as well as a few others. I'm going to bring it up to the admin and see if he can create a trouble ticket.

It's shorter than Clark Nexsen because it's not sitting on a garage.

It looks like it'll come close to the height of the Cosmo because of those high initial floors. The first two floors are basically two floors in one so it'll have the presence of a 12-story building. I think I would be happy if we could reach 18 on this. I think it's doable considering the current demand and wait list. They have some time because they're not racing the clock to provide space for an office tenant. Once they start advertising I expect that this will grow. I'm also starting to wonder what their plans are for the regal Cinemas property that they purchased.

Personally, I really like these renderings. It's a departure from all the "beige and vanilla" of Town Center. And I too agree this thing could go higher since there is quite a demand to live in Town Center. I don't really mind it not being a skyscraper persey as it's good infill and I find it to be inspiring architecture. I really like the steps and the theater is modern with all the glass and has lines reminiscent of the Sandler Center. I think this could also give further push to develop Block 2 which will be exciting since it's the last block to be developed in TC. And yes, let's leapfrog across the street to Regal Cinemas and beyond.... 

4 hours ago, BFG said:

I remember the picture below like yesterday. I moved to Columbus Station (apartments then condo, bottom right) in 1998 and remember when all the trees came down. Though it's taken longer than I would have anticipated, It's been amazing seeing to see all the progress. 

tc98.jpg