urbanvb

Premier Apartments Progress

i was hoping for some better looking spanish steps, but that hope because of the rendering of them above has now faded.  if it rises at least 100ft. then its a highrise.  it will definitely add to the skyline.  think about how it will look going down 264 east at witchduck.

I really like the design of this building. Fits well at pedestrian level to the streets/foot traffic around it. I wouldn't mind seeing some design like this in DT Norfolk tbh.

Looking at the renderings again and getting a better idea of where this building is going, it definitely needs a little more height IMO. Maybe raise it to 12-15 stories. By my count, the Cosmopolitan is 14 stories, including retail, so I think it should be closer to that.

• Like 1

I think the name of this theater is quite funny in that my favorite band is called Dream Theater!  hahaha.  They are named after a now closed theater in California...though they are from Long Island.  :/

Does anybody else know who they are?

Edited by metalman

This project received a preliminary positive vote of 9-2 tonight by city council. I know the final vote for the arena is next Tuesday, so I'm assuming the final vote for this will be held at the same meeting.

It's progressing. They're still ironing out some final details but construction is slated to begin in June.

According to southsidedaily.com the block 9 development has been green lighted. This looks like a great mixed use development encompassing residential, retail, entertainment, and public art and greenspace. Kudos to VB City Council on this one!

http://southsidedaily.com/2016/05/18/votes-send-nine-story-town-center-development-on-to-construction/

Edited by NFKjeff

20 hours ago, Virginia City said:

Looks really good but i wish it was taller.

I agree, the design of the building would actually look even better if it was 12-18 stories tall.

On 10/4/2016 at 11:21 PM, metalman said:

Deep breath-

"Zeider's American Dream Theater and Cabaret lounge public plaza retail restaurants and trendy apartments with a cool pedestrian bridge"

Block 9 it is. :lol: Think I'll just call it "Block 9 Progress"

Nevermind. Despite what appears to be a media blackout...so far, I was able to find a video of the groundbreaking ceremony. I don't know how to link it here. It's on Facebook. 

In any event, there is nothing to report. For contrary to last week's news reports indicating that A/H would be announcing tenants at groundbreaking, Mr. Lou Haddad failed to do so. 

Inside Business says the tenants apparently asked Armada Hoffler to hold off on the announcement.

Two “well-known, upscale tenants" were to be announced during the groundbreaking ceremony, Armada Hoffler said in a news release earlier this month. But the new retailers that will occupy space in this new mixed-use development asked to hold off on announcing their store openings, Armada Hoffler said Monday.

http://pilotonline.com/inside-business/news/commercial-real-estate/newest-town-center-project-breaks-ground/article_04ac9d43-9940-5b00-8182-ca9583e8024b.html

• Like 1

Has anyone heard anything more about the retailer/restaurant list for Block 9...or been by to see how things are looking?  Even though it's not a skyscraper, this project is significant in terms of massing, new-to-market retail and overall $$ investment. Plus I think the architecture is refreshing for this area.

• Like 2