142 posts in this topic

My sister used to work in the BOA Bldg. She still works for BOA in FL. I was visiting her this weekend and she said BOA actually only uses about two floors of that bldg. now.

A true high-rise apartment building in downtown. I like it. I dunno if any exist, but I wonder if he plans to put a restaurant on that ground floor somewhere.

The author's proposed idea for the space next to Harbor Park is intriguing. IMO, that should become an extension of the "Waterside District" with bars, restaurants and retail, connected by the walkway along the Elizabeth River.

Hmm...I dunno. The only way I see this happening is a) The BOA building will be partially converted and BOA will share space with the new apartments or b) There is a previously unannounced office tower on the horizon that BOA will move to thus vacating the old property so that it can be converted. We'll see. I'm taking this with a grain of salt for now.

And honestly, if Buddy wants a highrise apartment tower downtown I'd rather he build a new one. The arts district and SPQ would be prime locations.

28 minutes ago, metalman said:

Can't he just take his Granby Tower plans ton another block?

Honestly, Gadams was pretty burned by his experience with GT. I don't see him trying to dive into a Condo project of that magnitude again. He seems to have found his niche.

I don't think the BOA tower should be converted to residential. Not the right place for residential IMO. It would be an isolated residential building....somewhat disconnected from the residential happenings on the west side of downtown. I think this tower should remain office (BOA or not) because of its proximity to courts, governmental buildings, places of business etc.

I love the idea of a mid-rise residential tower on the site of the leaning building though. 12-15 floors would be a nice addition and Buddy could have his own design there.

EDIT: On second thought, maybe it would bring some much needed 24 hour life to that area.

Edited by carolinaboy

Ownership of this building and 2 Commercial Place has changed hands. There should be an announcement soon on the intended re-purposing of these downtown buildings.

One Commercial Place is indeed the BoA building, and Two Commercial Place is the 10 story building next door which used to known as the Royster Building (after the fertilizer co. which had it's HQ there.

The rumor has been that Buddy Gadams will convert the BoA Bldg. to apartments. I would also not be surprised if Cordish bought or leased them for apartments as part of the Waterside District. Cordish has several high rise apartments in K.C. as part of their Power and Light District there.

Edited by NFKjeff

7 hours ago, carolinaboy said:

EDIT: On second thought, maybe it would bring some much needed 24 hour life to that area.

Plus it will be right across the street from Waterside Live.

I love that elevated plaza in front of the tower. I could see a small block party happening there during the summer.

That is ALOT of office space to be taking off the market. It was already a lot with the one building,  now we're talking about two? I will stand by my earlier assertion, there has to be something built to compensate for that loss of office space.

Looking at the loop net listing that building only has 3 floors available plus one very small space for a total of 49,000 sq ft. The other 18 floors are occupied. Where are these other office workers going to go? I see 4 possibilities.

1) This isn't happening

2) It's happening but will only be a partial purchase of the 3 remaining floors (not likely, doesn't make sense)

3) There is a significant office development for downtown Norfolk that has yet to be announced.

4) Same as above, but Virginia Beach instead of Norfolk (Town Center block 2).

Of the options I listed, 1 and 3 appear to be most likely to me.

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/15987740/1-Commercial-Place-Norfolk-VA/

6 minutes ago, vdogg said:

3) There is a significant office development for downtown Norfolk that has yet to be announced.

4) Same as above, but Virginia Beach instead of Norfolk (Town Center block 2).

I can't fathom number 4 happening. I really doubt Norfolk would allow 18 floors worth of office workers to be relocated to Virginia Beach. You're right, I feel as if there's something big going on behind the scenes right now that we don't know about yet. Hopefully they'll make an announcement before the new year!

Edited by Helium3

1 hour ago, Helium3 said:

I can't fathom number 4 happening. I really doubt Norfolk would allow 18 floors worth of office workers to be relocated to Virginia Beach. You're right, I feel as if there's something big going on behind the scenes right now that we don't know about yet. Hopefully they'll make an announcement before the new year!

I hear what you're saying, but isn't this what they did with Clark Nexsen? Actually, that is exactly what they did with Clark Nexsen. If you recall, Clark Nexsen was supposed to build an 18 story office building downtown to house their headquarters, however Norfolk wasn't having that. They wanted to save waterside. That is why Clark Nexsen eventually moved to town center and built their office tower there. I'm not saying I expect that to happen. As I said, option 1 and option 3 or more likely. But it is a possibility.

Crossing my fingers that if it's option 3, that it's Snyder's Lot or the first step of the SPQ...

I don't think that's been updated in quite a while. I have a family member that works for Wilcox & Savage and they moved to the Wells Fargo Tower back when it was  completed a few years ago. 

Citywalk is the name of the development. the developer is called Marathon.  163000 sqft is available as of 2 days ago.  in one commercial place.  sorry about all the continuous posting.  The bank of america building will be called "The Icon at Citywalk".  the site mentions 21 floors but what confuses me is it also states there will be a skylounge on the "highest rooftop in virginia" for the same building.

Edited by tallguy81"