19 hours ago, R-123 said:

I think you will like some of the resident amenities that has been included in the design. It will be in a league of it's own for Hampton Roads. 

1 hour ago, R-123 said:

That seems highly unlikely. 15% of the apts will be studios under 500 sq ft. 

Penthouse studios in the heart of Chicago go for +/- $1,600. Buddy's other property's have studios starting around $900.  I except Icon to be 20% higher than that. 

He will find what the market can bare, that's the beautiful thing about capitalism. 

Interesting insights.  Are you, by chance, employed by Garrison Partners or Marathon? 

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

http://pilotonline.com/news/government/politics/local/developer-buddy-gadams-says-he-didn-t-ask-for-norfolk/article_631fe9f7-f0b3-57c8-ac7a-ef0a58ef0804.html

WOW, Has someone tried to say that Buddy influenced the Norfolk CC? Sounds like the city attorney was the one who didn't mention Buddy or his company.

2 hours ago, lil-bear said:

http://pilotonline.com/news/government/politics/local/developer-buddy-gadams-says-he-didn-t-ask-for-norfolk/article_631fe9f7-f0b3-57c8-ac7a-ef0a58ef0804.html

WOW, Has someone tried to say that Buddy influenced the Norfolk CC? Sounds like the city attorney was the one who didn't mention Buddy or his company.

This is much ado about nothing. If they hadn't changed the rule he simply would've had to wait until January to take advantage of the same exact tax break. It would've meant starting construction in 6 months instead of now. Don't know why they're making such a big deal about this.

Related to this I was under the impression that the city requested them to keep the facade of that building on Boush Street.  I remember they had requested demolition permits and there was some backlash about that building and it's historic value. I believe the original renderings didn't have that building facade saved.

1 hour ago, mikeas said:

Related to this I was under the impression that the city requested them to keep the facade of that building on Boush Street.  I remember they had requested demolition permits and there was some backlash about that building and it's historic value. I believe the original renderings didn't have that building facade saved.

You are absolutely correct, but true to form the pilot put up a completely sensationalist article devoid of facts in an effort to generate clicks.

52 minutes ago, vdogg said:

You are absolutely correct, but true to form the pilot put up a completely sensationalist article devoid of facts in an effort to generate clicks.

we really need a better news source for this region than the pilot....and the people commenting on there are idiots...so many NIMBYs

No man is above reproach. No matter how much "good" he has done.  Every deal, and every dealer, deserves scrutiny.  From what has been reported, it looks like Buddy didn't get anything that anyone else wouldn't have gotten. So this is pretty much a non-story.  (Although I know that Council adores him and would be inclined to support him in close-call situations.)

Personally, I neither revere nor dislike Mr. Gadams. Then again, I generally don't revere  anyone...outside of my family, that is.  Given the fact that I was around the 15th individual ever to plop down a large deposit for a unit in the fabled--and failed--Granby Tower, I know firsthand that he isn't perfect.  

But then again, who is? 

I just hate that people (not baobabs) still hold Granby Tower against Buddy. Maybe it was too ambitious during a rough economic time, but the commenters who keep throwing that in his face are silly and ridiculous. Every successful person has at least one setback in his or her life. 

20 hours ago, BFG said:

I just hate that people (not baobabs) still hold Granby Tower against Buddy. Maybe it was too ambitious during a rough economic time, but the commenters who keep throwing that in his face are silly and ridiculous. Every successful person has at least one setback in his or her life. 

I'm sure he does not care. He has done some great things for Norfolk but getting a tax abatement for that former storefront is beyond "a stretch". It's more like "sketch".

Buddy has lots of buddies in high places so I would not waste time worrying on his behalf. 

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, BFG said:

A friend of mine in Pittsburgh posted this on Facebook this morning...Target is placing smaller stores in college towns and downtowns. Something like this would be perfect for that ground level, IMO. Either there or the old Farm Fresh.

https://corporate.target.com/about/shopping-experience/upcoming-store-openings

That would be sweet.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived