ACC Championship Game

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are probably right Jayvee. It will be Ohio St and Michigan St or Iowa. UNC has not had a very tough schedule. But they have really been blowing out teams. UNC looks really good this year. Just imagine if they had not lost that first game to South Carolina 17-13!!!

If Clemson wins, we will still have a ACC school in the final 4!! Good year for college football overall. A big game for the city of Charlotte too! The city will get more air time...and tons of Clemson fans and UNC fans live in Charlotte.

5 hours ago, archiham04 said:

Why is UNC even on the field (or court for that matter) right now?   ...what with the fraudulent education controversy and all.  I mean the fraud is not even in doubt... they have just been "processing the paperwork" for like 5 years now.

Probably because UNC isn't the only school with very questionable athletic programs.  If the NCAA decided to harshly (and appropriately) punish UNC by suspending the athletic programs, many other schools would need their programs suspended as well.  Suspension = lost revenue + headaches

I don't see any likely scenario where UNC can make the playoffs. UNC would certainly have to dismantle Clemson, and Alabama and Stanford would likely have to lose as well. It also doesn't help that 2-loss Notre Dame and Florida State are ranked higher than UNC in the recent rankings.

The playoff committee has made it clear that they value wins versus ranked teams (unless you are Alabama, in which case it is purely the eye test). UNC would certainly have the best win in college football with a win over Clemson, but their strength of schedule and bad loss to South Carolina almost automatically forfeits any chance in the committee's eyes.

I'm looking forward to a great game Saturday night. It is healthy for the ACC to have the #1, #9, and #10 teams in the country (and one could argue Notre Dame at #8 since they essentially play an ACC schedule). Even more so, since this is a Charlotte forum, I'm looking forward to the city getting more exposure through national coverage on ABC. Hoping for a clear night so our beautiful skyline can be showcased.

Good luck RaleighHeelsfan. I'll be there cheering on Clemson with several friends. Go Tigers!

Good game last night, except for the officiating.

I was surprised that, despite great weather, Charlotte got little love from ABC. I only saw a couple of broad shots of the city, and many of those featured lots of cars on 77 and 277. Atlanta got much better publicity from the SEC game telecast.

On 12/2/2015, 8:38:28, abttown said:

Probably because UNC isn't the only school with very questionable athletic programs.  If the NCAA decided to harshly (and appropriately) punish UNC by suspending the athletic programs, many other schools would need their programs suspended as well.  Suspension = lost revenue + headaches

There are many things that set the UNC scandal head and shoulders above other cheating programs... but you are right,  punishing UNC will likely have no impact on other programs.  Look no further than their own program and what happened immediately prior to UNC beginning its paper class regimen.  In 1989 NC State (30 minutes down i 40) was accused of a laundry list of violations, penalized for a few, but spent a decade cleaning house.  This apparently had absolutely no impact on UNC's program who seems to have taken "lack of institutional control" to the next level.  

7 hours ago, archiham04 said:

There are many things that set the UNC scandal head and shoulders above other cheating programs... but you are right,  punishing UNC will likely have no impact on other programs.  Look no further than their own program and what happened immediately prior to UNC beginning its paper class regimen.  In 1989 NC State (30 minutes down i 40) was accused of a laundry list of violations, penalized for a few, but spent a decade cleaning house.  This apparently had absolutely no impact on UNC's program who seems to have taken "lack of institutional control" to the next level.  

I have been shocked by the brazen depravity in Chapel Hill (no, not the kind I engaged in there as an undergraduate...:rolleyes: ) 18 years?!?!? I have been appalled, outraged, embarrassed, depressed. South Building stopped responding to my outraged emails. And yet...

Anytime someone is admitted to a college or university for athletic prowess who would otherwise not be admitted, there is fraud. These admissions can be found at each and every Div. I school.

It's almost as if Carolina threw up its hands at the kabukiness of it all and decided to let it rip, integrity be damned. There is sort of a twisted integrity in doing that, even though it broke all the rules and shortchanged more than one player (poor players, such pawns.) Carolina obviously recognized the truth about the NCAA minstrel show and its constituent plantations, the colleges and universities and decided to take the fraud to a new level-because there really was and is no integrity to the NCAA, anyway.

I no longer watch any of the games. My interest had been waning even before the scandal broke. But I'd like it if the colleges & universities admitted and did the following:

• The colleges and universities provide a free flow of talent to the pros. (Why?)
  • The players are not students. Most of them have no interest in being students. Most of them would never be admitted if they were not football or basketball phenoms. The 'education' they receive is guffaw-inducing. Look at the 'academic majors' of the players the next time you watch a game. Please.
  • But even if all this were not so, the demands placed on them for practice, play and travel would preclude for almost anyone any meaningful academic endeavor. So we build Loudermilk Centers of Excellence (again, guffaw) to take care of things like papers and exams and such.
  • They generate enormous sums of money for the 'programs.'
  • They are athletic entertainers, not students.
  • So they should be paid a salary, just like any other entertainer. If this reduces the flow of money to the coaches and the schools and the teevee thingie, good.

If the colleges and universities did this, we'd at least have some real integrity and truth. Otherwise, we're just enabling the NCAA minstrel show and its constituent plantations, the colleges and universities.

The NCAA is likely to punish Carolina far more lightly than one might expect (or hope and pray, as the case may be.) Carolina still generates fan interest and cash, even now. The NCAA will be loathe to disturb that rainmaker. But it would be ok with me if Carolina got the death penalty for men's FB and BB because I want UNC to be like the University of Chicago: leave the plantation, offer Div III sports and become less of an undergraduate institution.

Archived