Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill

dbrok

We have a lot of posts and topics regarding building projects around the area, especially downtown, but how about restaurants that will be, or could be opening soon? (If this thread exists, please point me toward it).

One, for example, is the Seattle-based Red Robin on Rivertown Parkway. There are couple in the Detroit area, and now we finally get our own. I heard the burgers are excellent, but haven't had one myself.

We also have XO Asian Cuisine coming to Monroe Center Ave and The Omelette Shop opening in Breton Village Mall. Joey's Only from Canada is coming to 60th & Kalamazoo and On the Border and Noodles are both adding locations to 28th St.

Any word on what will be moving into the former Gibson's?

We have a lot of posts and topics regarding building projects around the area, especially downtown, but how about restaurants that will be, or could be opening soon? (If this thread exists, please point me toward it).

One, for example, is the Seattle-based Red Robin on Rivertown Parkway. There are couple in the Detroit area, and now we finally get our own. I heard the burgers are excellent, but haven't had one myself.

We also have XO Asian Cuisine coming to Monroe Center Ave and The Omelette Shop opening in Breton Village Mall. Joey's Only from Canada is coming to 60th & Kalamazoo and On the Border and Noodles are both adding locations to 28th St.

Any word on what will be moving into the former Gibson's?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Supposedly a more family friendly place (hopefully not as stuffy). I know the Campagnia on E. Beltline owned by Bistro Bella Vita has closed and is now going to be El Burrito Loco. And we know that a new McFaddens is opening in the Waldron Building downtown, and the Post Bar is opening a new location on Grandville. I found this on McFaddens (mainly on the East Coast now). I am assuming it is the same place:

virtual-tour-photo_05.jpg

jefpad3tm8j17_sm.jpg

http://www.mcfaddensdc.com/homepage.php

http://www.mcfaddens42.com/homepage.php

I also heard P.F. Chang's is looking for a location in Grand Rapids (I heard this from company sources).

Supposedly a more family friendly place (hopefully not as stuffy).  I know the Campagnia on E. Beltline owned by Bistro Bella Vita has closed and is now going to be El Burrito Loco.  And we know that a new McFaddens is opening in the Waldron Building downtown, and the Post Bar is opening a new location on Grandville.  I found this on McFaddens (mainly on the East Coast now).  I am assuming it is the same place:

virtual-tour-photo_05.jpg

jefpad3tm8j17_sm.jpg

http://www.mcfaddensdc.com/homepage.php

http://www.mcfaddens42.com/homepage.php

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it looks like McFadden's is in some pretty major cities, Boston, Philadelphia, NYC. I'm kind of surprised they would move into a smaller market like GR. Maybe they're franchising across the country.

PF Changs would great, but how does Boise, Idaho get one before us?

it looks like McFadden's is in some pretty major cities, Boston, Philadelphia, NYC. I'm kind of surprised they would move into a smaller market like GR. Maybe they're franchising across the country.

PF Changs would great, but how does Boise, Idaho get one before us?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't get the way those companies work. That place out by Rivertown, Kobe, only has a few other locations and they are all in the southeast US. Why did they choose grandville?

I don't get the way those companies work.  That place out by Rivertown, Kobe, only has a few other locations and they are all in the southeast US.  Why did they choose grandville?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A possibility might be they have different ownership, but the same name.

Kobe Austin is different than this one in California.

To my knowledge, the one in Grandville doesn't have a website.

there is a new resturant that just opened on alpine next to best buy. its called tony lins, and im pretty sure its not a chain. i was there last week and the food and service was great! its a good way to support local bussiness

btw this is NOT an add  :whistling:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

unfortunately they put it in the worst possible spot.

THe old damons will still feel like the old damons.

unfortunately they put it in the worst possible spot.

THe old damons will still feel like the old damons.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wish the Thai House and Wei-Wei Palace were not so far away from Downtown. I would like more sushi, Thai, Cantonese, and Vietnamese places in central city neighborhoods (they tend to hide in suburban strip malls). I say less fast food ethnic buffets, less national chains (Fishbone is owned by?), a larger Gaia House similar to the Heartland Cafe in Chicago, more local bistros that stay open later, more ethnic restaurants, and more specialty restaurants. (Like what you find in Bucktown, Scylla)

Is that too much to ask? Until 28th Street & Alpine are rebuilt with mixed-use sustainable developments, streets with a width of 42 ft, sidewalks, street furniture, crosswalks, mass transit, and zero setback buildings with open facades, I

I wish the Thai House and Wei-Wei Palace were not so far away from Downtown.  I would like more sushi, Thai, Cantonese, and Vietnamese places in central city neighborhoods (they tend to hide in suburban strip malls).  I say less fast food ethnic buffets, less national chains (Fishbone is owned by?), a larger Gaia House similar to the Heartland Cafe in Chicago, more local bistros that stay open later, more ethnic restaurants, and more specialty restaurants.  (Like what you find in Bucktown, Scylla

Is that too much to ask?  Until 28th Street & Alpine are rebuilt with mixed-use sustainable developments, streets with a width of 42 ft, sidewalks, street furniture, crosswalks, mass transit, and zero setback buildings with open facades, I

speaking of sushi, the sushi place downtown, morados, is really good, if you are in to that sort of thing

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree it's good, but it also has too many nontraditional items. Super deep fried maki rolls??? My issue with menus serving too many nontraditional items is that people start believing their eating "authentic cuisine." That is why I love Wei Wei's. It serves traditional Cantonese food like dim sum, chow fun, & gai lon. It's my GR version of a little Chinatown. Tea (cha) anyone?

"In the crazy world of mu goo gai pan and egg foo young, the line between authentic Chinese food and just another corn starch-infested slop from Happy Wok gets blurred." Quote from Mark Liao.

"Rainbow Roll, Caterpillar Roll with cream cheese is not traditional sushi," Kotani said. "I want to introduce American customers (to) how to eat sushi."

"The art of making sushi is being lost because it's getting too commercialized," said Robert Alvarado, co-owner of Yokozuna's, a Hawaiian-style sushi restaurant in Chula Vista. "They're just ... throwing ingredients together."

Maki

I know my opinion is strong on this matter.

I agree it's good, but it also has too many nontraditional items.  Super deep fried maki rolls???  My issue with menus serving too many nontraditional items is that people start believing their eating "authentic cuisine."  That is why I love Wei Wei's.  It serves traditional Cantonese food like dim sum, chow fun, & gai lon.  It's my GR version of a little Chinatown.  Tea (cha) anyone? 

"In the crazy world of mu goo gai pan and egg foo young, the line between authentic Chinese food and just another corn starch-infested slop from Happy Wok gets blurred." Quote from Mark Liao.

"Rainbow Roll, Caterpillar Roll with cream cheese is not traditional sushi," Kotani said. "I want to introduce American customers (to) how to eat sushi."

"The art of making sushi is being lost because it's getting too commercialized," said Robert Alvarado, co-owner of Yokozuna's, a Hawaiian-style sushi restaurant in Chula Vista. "They're just ... throwing ingredients together."

Maki

I know my opinion is strong on this matter.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yah, but thats good to know. Usually I don't care if its "authentic", I just eat what tastes good ;). But I agree with you that many restaurants claiming to be "authentic" are not even close. It is always hard to find a good authentic places, that is for sure.