Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill

dbrok

I heard a more rumor for 70 Ionia. Mid-range restaurant/bar. Moxie Churchill's or something is the name. Apparently it's a chain although i can't find anything about it. Anyone have anything to add?

EDIT: More rumor: it will be half restaurant, half nightclub with two separate entrances sharing one kitchen and liquor license.

Edited by twoshort

I heard a more rumor for 70 Ionia. Mid-range restaurant/bar. Moxie Churchill's or something is the name. Apparently it's a chain although i can't find anything about it. Anyone have anything to add?

EDIT: More rumor: it will be half restaurant, half nightclub with two separate entrances sharing one kitchen and liquor license.

I believe there was both a Maxies and a Churchills in Flint at one time, might still be there don't know. Let's hope it's not related to either one of these. Think Drink, but dirtier. Neither were a sports bar, rather a night club.

Wouldn't suprise me, I think I saw another one too, just can't remember where (or maybe it was the same thing) and thought the same thing (maybe it was on a Level employees T-shirt).

I do know they started Demo work on Level on Sunday.

This would make sense, the same company owns the Red Star Tavern as Bar Louie. We beat Detroit to the punch on getting a Louie, so maybe we're the test market for them in MI. Livonia is getting a Bar Louie in late summer 07.

There's a Moxie's Classic Grill chain out of Canada. :dontknow: Maybe Churchill's is the dance club portion. That space doesn't look big enough for both a restaurant and a nightclub. Are they taking the second floor too?

There's supposed to be a Red Star Tavern (owner of Bar Louie's) at the Village of Orchard Hills on the Beltline. I doubt that's what's being advertised though, and I'd trust twoshort and PBJ (they seem to know all the bar ins and outs). :thumbsup:

There's supposed to be a Red Star Tavern (owner of Bar Louie's) at the Village of Orchard Hills on the Beltline. I doubt that's what's being advertised though, and I'd trust twoshort and PBJ (they seem to know all the bar ins and outs). :thumbsup:

The Red Star that's going where Level used to be isn't a "big" corp thing. Their future website (not up yet) www.redstargr.com is registered to Mike Vorce, a successful GR businessman of (VoEx fame among others), the registrar has it registered to him with Emerson Group LLC at 333 Bridge Street as the Company. I can confirm that he is involved with the project along with another known partner and a few "silent" partners from what I've been told.

Supposedly there's a Red Star Nightclub in New York and South Beach or something that's they're partnering with for the concept.

Edited by PBJ

It would appear in our great nation there are more "Red Star"s than you can shake at stick at...

Red Star Tavern - Portland

[bTW - One could only thank thier lucky stars (sorry, couldn't help it..) that GR's Red Star would be something like the "linky" one. Really superb place, very relaxed, food is outstanding, just a great place to enjoy lunch or dinner]

I've been told there used to be a restaurant on Monroe, across from the Amway, called Churchill's. That was before my time though.

Williams Group is on the second floor of 70. They are comfortable and aren't going anywhere.

Hey everyone... as of last week, it's been time to let the cat out of the bag, and I'd love to answer any and all of your questions regarding Churchill's and Moxie.

I am one of two managing partners of this combo, and I just joined this forum as I've heard for a bit that there's been some discussion about our fun project.

Here's some information that addresses the questions I've seen so far:

** it is not a chain

** yes, they are separate, with separate entrances

** the space is large enough for two concepts, however neither is what I'd call massive

** yes, there used to be a Churchill's on Monroe

** we're only on the first floor

** there are moxie pubs and bars and grills and lounges all over, but we're not affiliated

Thanks all, and as I said, feel free to ask away! Very soon you will all see an article in the Press related to the project which will address some of the questions in more detail.

c.

Hey everyone... as of last week, it's been time to let the cat out of the bag, and I'd love to answer any and all of your questions regarding Churchill's and Moxie.

I am one of two managing partners of this combo, and I just joined this forum as I've heard for a bit that there's been some discussion about our fun project.

** it is not a chain

** the space is large enough for two concepts, however neither is what I'd call massive

** there are moxie pubs and bars and grills and lounges all over, but we're not affiliated

Thanks all, and as I said, feel free to ask away! Very soon you will all see an article in the Press related to the project which will address some of the questions in more detail.

c.

Thanks for the update djcorey and welcome to the forum. I hope all goes well with your plans :thumbsup:

Red Star may or may not set a new American-Seating-Park-Bar record by closing before it even opens.

This is true, employees have been told they will not be expected to open this Friday as planned, if at all. This all went down Monday night at Varnum, and has left a lot of people out of a job. One of the major financiers has backed out for various reasons that I'm not going to get into here.

This is true, employees have been told they will not be expected to open this Friday as planned, if at all. This all went down Monday night at Varnum, and has left a lot of people out of a job. One of the major financiers has backed out for various reasons that I'm not going to get into here.

So at the moment, there's no bar open at American Seating and Level is long gone?

** it is not a chain

c.

Nice to see you're branching out corey. It's been a long way from sunny fm and taking bar photos. good luck with everything.

** it is not a chain

Will we be required to wear sunglasses at night?

I so apologize for that, I literally could not resist!

c.

The Sierra Room on Ionia south of Fulton will close on May 5th after being open for 10 years....

"Colleen Gill, general manager and daughter of the restaurant's owner, Rita Williams, blamed the closing on chronic problems with parking, increased competition and changing dynamics of the area."

The complete story is on MLive.com

http://www.mlive.com/newslogs/grpress/inde..._03.html#246335

Doesn't Rita Williams own Gill Industries, a struggling company? Seems like a pattern.

Didn't someone in the family pass away just recently (or a year to two ago?)? I don't want to drag the family through the mud.

I seem to recall that as well. Best to tread gently perhaps.

Maintaining quality customer experiences is a brutal reality in the eatery biz. Haven't been to Sierra in a few years, but my experiences were good prior to that. Regardless the reason for their closing, I'd say they had a pretty well regarded and long run given the track record of some establishments in town. My best to them in whatever is next.

Edited by FilmMaker

Doesn't Rita Williams own Gill Industries, a struggling company? Seems like a pattern.

Gill Industries is'nt struggling that I know of - in fact one of the local sucess stories in the local " tool & die turned manufacturing" businesses. Rita had 12 children, was a nurse, then learned the tool & die business from her husband. Became general manager and now is CEO after I think her husband died (can't confirm that on google :( )

The restuarant business is tough and they now have lots of competition.

It's easy to blame that downtown problem - parking ;) I've never yet heard someone going out of business say, ya know I screwed up, my prices were too high and my service sucked.

Gill Industries is'nt struggling that I know of - in fact one of the local sucess stories in the local " tool & die turned manufacturing" businesses. Rita had 12 children, was a nurse, then learned the tool & die business from her husband. Became general manager and now is CEO after I think her husband died (can't confirm that on google :( )

Try legacy.com, or the SSA death index.