Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill

dbrok

I don't know if it's been reviewed here yet but my wife and I went to Old Chicago's this weekend. Don't flame me for eating on 28th street!! We went to Roses' (2 hour wait,) called Bluewater (2 hour wait) and found the same at The Shipping Company. Weren't dressed "cool" enough to go to our downtown spots.

The food was terrible. I am a Chicago deep dish fan so I ordered their, so called, Chicago Pizza. Not even close. Don't call it Chicago Style Pizza if you're not going to follow the rules for Chicago style pizza.

It was a Pizza Hut Pan Pizza. Very dissappointed.

^Heck most of the places around here don't even provide authentic "Chicago Pizza" according to some folks I've met here and in the city. Forgive me, but I have to be schooled on what exactly qualifies as authentic. I'm under the impression its more than a deep dish?

We're having pizza tonight, but the only time I ever eat pizza is when I make it by hand.

Edited by Rizzo

^Heck most of the places around here don't even provide authentic "Chicago Pizza" according to some folks I've met here and in the city. Forgive me, but I have to be schooled on what exactly qualifies as authentic. I'm under the impression its more than a deep dish?

We're having pizza tonight, but the only time I ever eat pizza is when I make it by hand.

Thick buttery crust rolled up the edges of a DEEP pan. Crust, then LOTS of cheese, then chunky crushed tomato sauce on top. Sprinkled with parmesan. Carmelized cheese at the upper edge of the crust = bonus. If it is going to have fillings, it should be an obscene amount of chicago style italian sausage below the cheese layer.

Pizzeria Uno Chains = Not quite deep dish, it's cooked on a rack

Old Chicago = Pan pizza (Not the same)

Some places serve "Chicago Deep Dish" around here but it has another layer of crust ontop of the cheese, so it is "stuffed". This is how Giordano's in Chicago makes their pie as well so it could maybe be called traditional chicago style, but it isnt deep dish, it is stuffed.

Chicago Deep Dish and Dogs made a RAGIN good pie until they closed :( it could hold it's own against chicago anyday... :(

The wiki explains it all, has a picture of Geno's East Deep Dish pie (My personal fav!):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago-style_pizza

[code][quote name='Rhino6885' date='Mar 19 2007, 12:49 PM' post='728609']<BR>I walked by there this weekend on my way to the Gaia and checked it out/picked up a menu. The place seemed pretty cool--very modern decor and interesting menu. The guy behind the counter called it "progressive American" (at least I think that's what he said). If anybody tries this place out, please let me know how it was. I'm going to try to grab some dinner there this weekend.<BR>[/quote

]

I am happy to say that I had an amazing meal at bloom last night. The dishes are innovative, beautifully presented, and tasty as well! I can say that his food is comparable to some restaurants you would find in larger cities..at an extemely affordable price. I also am happy that Chad and his wife Gwen are passionate about working with seasonal and local ingrediants...SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL FARMERS:)I speak with 10 years restaurant expierience in Chicago and NYC and can say that this is the first time I have been soo impressed with food in my hometown of Grand Rapids. They definately deserve your support! I know I can't wait to go back....brittanie

-they had mentioned that they very intended on opening with a BYOB license, but were told on opening day that Michigan had just passed a law that prohibits any establishment from bringing their own bottles into a restaurant...am i wrong, or doesn't Shogun allow BYOB as well as a few other restaurants in town. Also, doesn't MI law allow people to cork an unfinished bottle of wine and take it to go? Seems kinda ridiculous that you could take a open container of alcohol out the door, but are not allowed to bring one in? I could be confused though...I have just moved back after being gone for 10 years

I am happy to say that I had an amazing meal at bloom last night. The dishes are innovative, beautifully presented, and tasty as well! I can say that his food is comparable to some restaurants you would find in larger cities..at an extemely affordable price. I also am happy that Chad and his wife Gwen are passionate about working with seasonal and local ingrediants...SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL FARMERS:)I speak with 10 years restaurant expierience in Chicago and NYC and can say that this is the first time I have been soo impressed with food in my hometown of Grand Rapids. They definately deserve your support! I know I can't wait to go back....brittanie

-they had mentioned that they very intended on opening with a BYOB license, but were told on opening day that Michigan had just passed a law that prohibits any establishment from bringing their own bottles into a restaurant...am i wrong, or doesn't Shogun allow BYOB as well as a few other restaurants in town. Also, doesn't MI law allow people to cork an unfinished bottle of wine and take it to go? Seems kinda ridiculous that you could take a open container of alcohol out the door, but are not allowed to bring one in? I could be confused though...I have just moved back after being gone for 10 years

Wow...you've got me excited. I'm definitely heading over there for a meal this weekend. As far as BYOB goes, I'm not sure. I have brought wine and beer to one of my favorite Japanese restaurants (I suppose I should keep it anonymous if it's not legal...) I think it's a great concept, as most restaurants without a license don't make their money on beverages. I would like to see more restaurants do this.

I am happy to say that I had an amazing meal at bloom last night.

Anyone know if they have a website? I'm always surprised to see restaurants that don't have their menu online. I always like to check it out beforehand...takes some of the apprehension away from trying a new place.

"All alcohol served at an on-premises licensed establishment must be purchased from that establishment. If the establishment does not hold a license, MCL 436.1913 clearly states that those establishments may not allow consumption of alcohol on the premise"

http://www.michigan.gov/cis/0,1607,7-154-1...99198--,00.html

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(mptssd45d...me=mcl-436-1913

Edited by twoshort

"All alcohol served at an on-premises licensed establishment must be purchased from that establishment. If the establishment does not hold a license, MCL 436.1913 clearly states that those establishments may not allow consumption of alcohol on the premise"

http://www.michigan.gov/cis/0,1607,7-154-1...99198--,00.html

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(mptssd45d...me=mcl-436-1913

Now, why does that law make any sense? Is this a law like drugs in Amsterdam...in the books, but rarely inforced? I'd hate to see my BYOB establishments get fined, but the BYOB concept is one of the main reasons I frequent them. Getting a couple drinks in a restaurant is quite expensive, and being able to bring your own allow me to indulge on the food...maybe a fancy sushi roll or something. On the other hand, you can buy a bottle of wine at Bombay Cuisine for $9, but they have to hold a liquor license to be able to do that in the first place. What ever happened to "private property...do as you wish?"

Chicago Deep Dish and Dogs made a RAGIN good pie until they closed :( it could hold it's own against chicago anyday... :(

The wiki explains it all, has a picture of Geno's East Deep Dish pie (My personal fav!):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago-style_pizza

Havd you tried Joe Chicago's in Grandville? Or Chicago Joe's, I don't remember. While nothings as good as driving to Pizzano's in Chicago for the atmosphere. Joe's is every bit as good. Get their pepperoni and extra garlic. TONS of fresh, chopped garlic cloves.

My understanding of the authentic Chicago style is crust, layers of Pepperoni, then tons of cheese, and then topped with sauce.

The crust is actually rather thin but "deep" because of it's pie-crust shape. It's not thick like Old Chicago's poor attempt at Chicago Pizza.

Seriously though, if you feel like "suburbing" it for a night, try Joe Chicago's on Wilson.

I am happy to say that I had an amazing meal at bloom last night. The dishes are innovative, first time I have been soo impressed with food in my hometown of Grand Rapids. They definately deserve your support! I know I can't wait to go back....brittanie

Couldn't agree more. As Oscar Wilde put it: "In any great meal, the ingredients are the heart, the preparation is the soul, and the presentation is the wit".

Bloom's got heart,soul, and wit goin' on.....and they are looking into a beer/wine license.

Couldn't agree more. As Oscar Wilde put it: "In any great meal, the ingredients are the heart, the preparation is the soul, and the presentation is the wit".

Bloom's got heart,soul, and wit goin' on.....and they are looking into a beer/wine license.

What kind of food is Bloom? What are some examples of menu items? And what's the price range?

Now, why does that law make any sense? Is this a law like drugs in Amsterdam...in the books, but rarely inforced? I'd hate to see my BYOB establishments get fined, but the BYOB concept is one of the main reasons I frequent them. Getting a couple drinks in a restaurant is quite expensive, and being able to bring your own allow me to indulge on the food...maybe a fancy sushi roll or something. On the other hand, you can buy a bottle of wine at Bombay Cuisine for $9, but they have to hold a liquor license to be able to do that in the first place. What ever happened to "private property...do as you wish?"

As a licensed establishment I would say the primary reasons for this are training and liability. How will you verify age and if the customer becomes intoxicated how will you address this? I think as aprivate club you used to be able to allow "members" to BYOB, but you were then regulated by the state.

As a licensed establishment I would say the primary reasons for this are training and liability. How will you verify age and if the customer becomes intoxicated how will you address this? I think as aprivate club you used to be able to allow "members" to BYOB, but you were then regulated by the state.

I can see that. I suppose they could ask for ID if you bring in alcohol. What I really liked about it was buying a bottle of wine at the Grand Central Market for the price of 2 glasses at a restaurant, as well as the fact that there's not the issue of obtaining the sacred liquor license.

What kind of food is Bloom? What are some examples of menu items? And what's the price range?

Menu is short, classic American; ribeyes, pork tenderloin, shrimp, pasta, etc.. I had a stunning scallop appetizer. Appetizers are $6 or $7, entrees about $16 to $20. Breads by Nantucket.

They are open for lunch with an even shorter menu....check it out.....