Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill

dbrok

• 2 weeks later...

• 5 weeks later...

Corner of Fulton and Ionia - not sure if this has been posted about already or not - but there is going to be a sports bar going in at this location that's been empty for so long. Couldn't get an opening date or even a name out of the nice guy who was in and out of there yesterday afternoon. He would only say that it was going to be "pretty sweet."

Corner of Fulton and Ionia - not sure if this has been posted about already or not - but there is going to be a sports bar going in at this location that's been empty for so long. Couldn't get an opening date or even a name out of the nice guy who was in and out of there yesterday afternoon. He would only say that it was going to be "pretty sweet."

gvsu sean ... is this a BW3??

I am moving downtown in June, this would be the greatest thing ever! While I love local bars, I think a BW3 right there would bring in a ton of foot traffic. I'm from the Detroit area, and when a BW3 came to downtown Ferndale, it about doubled the amount of foot traffic down there (in my estimation).

Edited by Parhelion

I don't think so. I thought I heard/read it was someone out of Kalamazoo that has been working on it for a looooong time (evident by the signs that have been in the window for ages).

Edited by twoshort

I don't think so. I thought I heard/read it was someone out of Kalamazoo that has been working on it for a looooong time (evident by the signs that have been in the window for ages).

I think the Kalamazoo guys are at the corner of Louis and Ionia in the ground floor of the Trade Center Bldg. Maybe they moved to another spot, who knows.

501264907_88db5fd2e1.jpg

1 Ionia is going to be some kind of restaurant, because they were looking for approval not long ago to add a big vent on the roof, that would be visible from the arena. I can't remember if it was the planning, zoning or city commission.

• 2 weeks later...

GVSUSean says he has talked to the wife of the owner of the Michigan BW3s and they are in-fact going to put one downtown GR.

I think that's what he's alluding to.

At Festival of the Arts, BW3's sponsored the United Methodist Community House's food booth by providing at least the paper holders for the wings and also had a BW3's employee down there much of the time. While I was at Festival, someone suggested that maybe they thought this is how BW3's is breaking into the downtown market. Personally, I haven't seen or heard of a company sponsoring a food booth like that at before at Festival, since they're all run by non-profits, and I'm not sure that I approve of their method.

Awesome. Now, they have to get another Sushi chef in there. That guy works fast, but you still wait a looooooong time for you meal. Still, it's worth it.

Does anyone know how that place is going, business-wise? I've been there a few times, and its always pretty empty.

Does anyone know how that place is going, business-wise? I've been there a few times, and its always pretty empty.

I'm there about every two weeks, and there's usually quite a few other people in there, even on weeknights. And service has only been slow one time I was there, it was a Saturday evening and they were really really busy.

Are you sure they have a license for it or they just allow it?

I'm 99.9% sure that the State of Michigan doesn't allow BYOB licenses. If Shogun does, its probably on the down low. I wish more places did that, I would probably spend more on the food and more on tip if I wasn't paying $9 per glass of wine, that I can buy at Martha's for $11 per bottle.

I'm 99.9% sure that the State of Michigan doesn't allow BYOB licenses. If Shogun does, its probably on the down low. I wish more places did that, I would probably spend more on the food and more on tip if I wasn't paying $9 per glass of wine, that I can buy at Martha's for $11 per bottle.

BYOB not allowed in MI http://www.michigan.gov/cis/0,1607,7-154-1...99198--,00.html

All I know is that you can bring the goods in, and they will supply you with cups, glasses and even a wine opener if needed, but they will not go anywhere near the booze. The customers have to take care of all of the serving.

I hope they weren't on the down low. If so, I just ruined everything. :scared: