Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill

dbrok

Says arguably the biggest fan of Olive Express.. ;) As is pointed out in Knapes piece, there isn't really any place close to get that kind of food besides BK and McD.

Friday's doesn't have burgers and fries? AGP doesn't have a restaurant that would sling some hash? Sundance? Pearl Street Grill? Big Boy?

A new retro diner opened on Plainfield, just north of Knapp, called Pilar's (in the former Bobby J's location). They have breakfast all day, classic American dishes, Mexican dishes and an ice cream counter. It's also attached to a candy shop. Prices are pretty reasonable; maybe $8 per person for lunch or dinner.

Here's a question.. what are some great places for Indian food?

I'm also going to need to hunt around for some vegetarian-ish places. I have a friend coming in from Canada in a few months for a visit, but our food tastes are polar opposites. The only place I can think of where we both could possibly eat together (downtown) would have been the former Olive Express. =[

Here's a question.. what are some great places for Indian food?

I'm also going to need to hunt around for some vegetarian-ish places. I have a friend coming in from Canada in a few months for a visit, but our food tastes are polar opposites. The only place I can think of where we both could possibly eat together (downtown) would have been the former Olive Express. =[

Indian food: Taste of India or Bombay. People on here aren't high on Bombay, but I've always had great food there. The Sunday buffet is infamous.

Vegetarian: Marie Catribs, Gaia (veggie hash!), Little Africa (Ethiopan), new Ethiopian place in Eastown, XO (many vegetarian Thai options), Mirado (have vegetarian rolls), Cherry Deli (a ton of vegetarian sandwiches), Dog Pit has vegetarian hot dogs, Brandywine has a veggie benedict that is do die for

I ate at Flavors of India last week. Met my aunt, who really liked the old place, suggested we try the it again under the new ownership or management. I thought the food was excellent and she didn't say it was worse or better than the old place. My only complaint is smelling like the place I've just eaten at for the rest of the day. I'll admit to being a little compulsive about it....nonetheless, while absolutely loving Indian food, it's generally why I've avoided Bombay and other Indian establishments in town.

Oh, and Chinese buffetts leave you smelling too. We may need to start a topic on the restaurants you go home with.