Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill

dbrok

Has anyone ever been to Cosi? There's one in East Lnsing. I'd LOVE it if we'd get a Cosi downtown - it blows Panera out of the water! I've e-mailed them before about locating in Grand Rapids...nothing yet though!

*fish

I had heard good things about the place, so when the one in EL opened up a few years ago I went to check it out. I didn't think it was that great and it was pretty expensive for what it was. I suppose though that it's one of those places where you pay for atmosphere and the atmosphere is a step up from Panera.

Has anyone ever been to Cosi? There's one in East Lnsing. I'd LOVE it if we'd get a Cosi downtown - it blows Panera out of the water! I've e-mailed them before about locating in Grand Rapids...nothing yet though!

*fish

Cosi opened in EL about 5 1/2 years ago, just as I was starting my freshman year at MSU. I tried them once right after they opened. I remember them being good and the atmosphere inside being nice (they had a fireplace I remember), but I never went back because as a college student I couldn't justify spending that much money on a sandwich. I never understood how that place is still in business and so many places in EL that were more appealing to students couldn't make it.

I have no problem with Cosi and would probably eat at one again if one opened up in GR since I make a little more than I did back then.

Cool.....I wonder what part of downtown they'd put this if it came. Ionia street is a little too saturated with bars. I think on Monroe, right near the new art museum would be perfect.

Looking at their menu items and kitchen requirements (lack of needing an exhaust hood) I think a possible location could be on the corner of Ionia and Fulton, across the street from Taps. I've heard a sports bar has been slated for this ground floor location (there's even a bar already built behind those taped windows), but because of the historical nature of the building, the city will not allow him to poke holes to the outside to vent a kitchen.

I could be wrong.

Edited by PHTPL

• 3 weeks later...

Graydon's will be opening a second location soon in EGR on Lake Dr. - found out last week from one of the waitresses. It's a good thing - it's getting difficult to get a table at dinner time these days!

** Sorry - just realized this was already noted in the bar/pub thread. They have great food though, they should be noted in the restaurant area.

Edited by oakesLife

Not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere, but a new place called Johnny's Lunch is moving into the old Olive Express location: Johnny's Lunch website

They have quite a few locations on the east side Michigan and also New York and Ohio. The menu is hot dogs and burgers, similar to Johnny Rockets. I wonder why they chose to be located next to The Dog Pit.

Indian food: Taste of India or Bombay. People on here aren't high on Bombay, but I've always had great food there. The Sunday buffet is infamous.

Vegetarian: Marie Catribs, Gaia (veggie hash!), Little Africa (Ethiopan), new Ethiopian place in Eastown, XO (many vegetarian Thai options), Mirado (have vegetarian rolls), Cherry Deli (a ton of vegetarian sandwiches), Dog Pit has vegetarian hot dogs, Brandywine has a veggie benedict that is do die for

If you're up for a short drive. There are two Indian resturants in Kalamazoo that are better

than what we currently have available here in GR. Saffron. Which is located 1710 West Main,

and Indian Cusine, which is located in Portage, near the Mall.

Both have excellent food, and are open for Lunch and dinner.

Saffron makes me smile, since there menu (Like the Cusine), and entree decriptions are written

with flavor.

Enjoy!

Not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere, but a new place called Johnny's Lunch is moving into the old Olive Express location: Johnny's Lunch website

They have quite a few locations on the east side Michigan and also New York and Ohio. The menu is hot dogs and burgers, similar to Johnny Rockets. I wonder why they chose to be located next to The Dog Pit.

That is interesting - I hope it doesn't have a negative effect on the Dog Pit. I think it's a great addition to downtown, especially for a family friendly option. I hear so many people say they want fun places to take their kids downtown to eat when they're out at the children's museum or ice skating - or even at family events at the VanAndel. It would have been nice though if a different location would have been selected.

1 Ionia is for lease subject to lessee purchasing the liquor license and furniture and equipment. I'd say whatever bar was going to go in there is no more (some guy from Kalamazoo was the rumor i think).

Guess you should do some Due Diligence before you assume you can just cut a venting hole for your kitchen in a historic building. :dontknow:

• 1 month later...

According to Chris Knape, the new Riverfront Cafe owned by Ferris Coffee & Nut is open next to Kinko's, where the Urban Mill was. Anyone check it out yet? It sounds like they reused all the interior furnishings and decor, which seemed to be fine with me.

• 2 weeks later...

According to Chris Knape, the new Riverfront Cafe owned by Ferris Coffee & Nut is open next to Kinko's, where the Urban Mill was. Anyone check it out yet? It sounds like they reused all the interior furnishings and decor, which seemed to be fine with me.

Haven't actually been in yet to sample the goods, but have seen the decor and it's eh compared to Urban Mill's. I'm pretty sure they painted, and the color palette isn't as bright as before. And there are lots of "coffee" themed pictures, nothing too original.

... It sounds like they reused all the interior furnishings and decor, which seemed to be fine with me.

Non-friendly business hours. I peeked in the window last week...the large portraits of jazz artists went to Michigan Street, and the furniture looks the same.

I spoke with an employee from Johnny's today and they said that they should be open Saturday, April 19th around 11 am.

Haven't actually been in yet to sample the goods, but have seen the decor and it's eh compared to Urban Mill's. I'm pretty sure they painted, and the color palette isn't as bright as before. And there are lots of "coffee" themed pictures, nothing too original.

Isn't as bright? They must've repainted in very dark colors! I always thought it was dark in there when it was Urban Mill, and the walls of the new Urban Mill on Michigan are painted black.

I spoke with an employee from Johnny's today and they said that they should be open Saturday, April 19th around 11 am.

Friday night looked to be a trial run, with frantic last-minute punch-listing occurring (and some horrible cigar-smoking suit type sitting outside on the patio chairs). The neon outlining the upper windows is awfully bright.

[doubting they have chicken shwarma nor tabouli]

Friday night looked to be a trial run, with frantic last-minute punch-listing occurring (and some horrible cigar-smoking suit type sitting outside on the patio chairs). The neon outlining the upper windows is awfully bright.

[doubting they have chicken shwarma nor tabouli]

We ate there Saturday afternoon. The food was solid, but not spectacular. Lots of people (owners?) from Detroit hanging around outside that definately stood out in the crowd.

We ate there Saturday afternoon. The food was solid, but not spectacular. Lots of people (owners?) from Detroit hanging around outside that definately stood out in the crowd.

when were you there?? I was there with my GF eating outside next to the GM and owner peoples....