Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill

dbrok

Looks like the electric Eel is about ready to open on Wealthy! Are they still going to serve ice-cream. If not, that tangy (is it asian?) frozen yogurt you can find at places like Pinkberry would be a nice complement.

I don't know much about what's going on there, but I do know this cheesecake place is sharing space with the Eel: Cheesecake Jake's

Heard through the rumor mill Shogun is closing the 2nd week in April to be replaced by another sushi place.

Shogun has been sold to new owners and is closing April 11th. The new owners plan to remodel the place and reopen with a new menu later this year, still offering sushi.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone been watching the progress of Stella's Lounge? 87 video games from the 80's (Donkey Kong, Ms. Pacman, Galaga, etc.), cool decor and a 40 ft. mural by Erwin Erkfitz, I can't wait til the opening on May 1. Sounds like its "sister" bar Viceroy opens in June.

Check out the photos (nice bathroom):

http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=160326&id=375028332694

Joe

Been meaning to post this but kept forgetting. Arnie's on Leonard Street appears to be gone for good. Fire debris has been removed, all the concrete footings/walls removed, the hole filled with sand and covered with topsoil and the building site has been seeded. The office structure saved in the fire has the east wall bricked up to match the other 3 sides.

Edited by Raildudes dad

Looks like the electric Eel is about ready to open on Wealthy! Are they still going to serve ice-cream. If not, that tangy (is it asian?) frozen yogurt you can find at places like Pinkberry would be a nice complement.

Looks like its off to a rocky start.

http://grgrub.com/2010/04/20/electric-eel-fails-to-match-the-ferocity-of-the-cheetah/

I've been there 4 or 5 times.

It's a mixed bag.

Their chow mein called "Mr. Lawrence" was great.

The Sezchuan Peanut Noodles were not as great.

The hot-and-sour soupe was fantastic, the rangoons meh.

I've tried it a few times though and they're getting better.

It's a mixed bag.

I had the Vietnamese Pho yesterday. Quite good. Although eating out of the 32oz container w/ chopsticks was tricky. Some sort of bowl would've been easier to maneuver the chopsticks into.

I'm looking forward to my next visit.

• 2 weeks later...

Rowster's New American Coffee posted some construction photos today on Facebook from their new roasting and tasting room on Wealthy.

http://www.facebook.com/?sk=nf#!/album.php?aid=26&id=100172890026814&ref=mf

25549_100190706691699_100172890026814_228_1681849_n.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/?sk=nf#!/photo.php?pid=228&id=100172890026814

29113_103499043027532_100172890026814_27130_2821558_n.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/?sk=nf#!/photo.php?pid=27130&id=100172890026814

Not sure what the current timeline for opening is. Add 2 months to that and that's when they'll actually be opening. :P :P

• 2 weeks later...

Two pizza chains could be possibly coming GR's way in the next few years:

-Happy's

-Topper's

Both already have K'zoo franchises in the works.

Farmington Hills-based Happy’s expects to open a Kalamazoo franchise, at the corner of South Westnedge Avenue and Crosstown Parkway, in the next four months, Master said.

The company, which has 65 stores in the Midwest, expects to add 20 more before the end of this year, including in the West Michigan cities of Grand Rapids, Battle Creek and South Haven...

Meanwhile, a Wisconsin-based pizza franchising company, Toppers Pizza, says it plans to expand throughout Michigan in the coming years.

Link to article [MLive]

Edited by RegalTDP

It's a mixed bag.

It seems they had the same problem with the electric cheetah. I went there after they first opened and was underwhelmed. they have since figured things out and it's much better. they are probably going through the same learning curve that they went through before.

It seems they had the same problem with the electric cheetah. I went there after they first opened and was underwhelmed. they have since figured things out and it's much better. they are probably going through the same learning curve that they went through before.

While I haven't tried the Eel yet because of all the mixed reviews, I remember when the Cheetah opened and like you, was less than impressed. Now, it is one of my favorite spots and they seem to be getting better al the time. Hopefully, this will be the case with the Eel.

Went to Cinco de Mayo (Monroe Center) tonight. Good food. Sign on the door says liquor license coming soon. I think the place will be hopping once they get one.

Joe

We've been there a couple of times and have always had good food and service. I'm not holding my breath much on their liquor license since that same sign has been there since at least March. I know there are a lot of hoops to jump through for that stuff, so hopefully it's still happening.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...