Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill

dbrok

• 4 weeks later...

There's another Indian restaurant possibly coming to Fulton, between LaGrave and Jefferson. Heard this from one of the neighboring tenants. Sign in the window says "Pending." 

The Palace of India is moving to 138 E Fulton, next to One Trick Pony.  They are currently located at 526 Stocking NW.

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2014/03/downtown_development_authority_27.html

Also, a Saladworks franchise is opening at 30 Ionia SW, next to Menna's Joint.

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2014/03/saladworks_franchise_coming_to.html

Edited by Gorath

Can't wait to see the inside of Flat Landers. Sounds like this place is going to be pretty interesting!

Joe

This place looks interesting, opening tomorrow on Michigan St.

http://www.rapidgrowthmedia.com/features/031314flatlanders.aspx

And another distillery plans an opening this fall across from Mitten Brewing:

http://www.rapidgrowthmedia.com/devnews/LongRoadDistillers0313.aspx

• 2 months later...

Pub Kraal, a new bar & restaurant is being planned for the former Copper Top on Stocking. An adjacent banquet facility is also part of the plan.

I believe the old Kopper Top is going to be Blue Dog Bar and Grille. They've got a facebook page with some photos of the renovation taking place.

I've heard something about the Pub Kraal place but can't recall where that will be going.

I believe the old Kopper Top is going to be Blue Dog Bar and Grille. They've got a facebook page with some photos of the renovation taking place.

I've heard something about the Pub Kraal place but can't recall where that will be going.

Looks to me like Pub Kraal is the LLC for Blue Dog Bar and Grille.

• 2 months later...

Meanwhile their stock is tanking.  Opened at $30, and is now $12.32.  Morgan Stanley just sold off their entire stake in the company.  

Wow.

BTW, when did the Ruby Tuesday's on 28th Street close? Not that I liked the place, but I hadn't noticed it before.

the Saladworks on Ionia opened last week, let's hope it fares better then the one I saw out of business in downtown Philly earlier this year. Also, Toppers opened last week on Wealthy just before Diamond, grand opening is next Saturday.

Hopefully Toppers lasts longer than the one in Ann Arbor (8 months).

• 2 weeks later...

Quaker Steak and Lube closed up on 28th St. (there is also a brand new building going right up next to it). Based on the location I assuming it wont be empty long and hopefully something better.

Was there a few times (it fits the profile of what my in-laws typically like). Not terribly impressed; food was generic and mediocre. Atmosphere was fun, though.

IIRC, the building was empty for a few years after Damon's closed. That stretch of 28th isn't terribly lively–lots of buildings in need of facelifts. There's also the empty former Italian restaurant behind Steak'n'Shake (though that building has a much worse location than Quaker Steak). It seems like since Costco came in, most of the energy has shifted east across Patterson.

Was there a few times (it fits the profile of what my in-laws typically like). Not terribly impressed; food was generic and mediocre. Atmosphere was fun, though.

IIRC, the building was empty for a few years after Damon's closed. That stretch of 28th isn't terribly lively–lots of buildings in need of facelifts. There's also the empty former Italian restaurant behind Steak'n'Shake (though that building has a much worse location than Quaker Steak). It seems like since Costco came in, most of the energy has shifted east across Patterson.

About the only thing Quaker Steak had going for it was cheap beer (not a bad selection) and cheap food. You could feed a family of 5 for less than $40 with tip. Sort of like the Score.