Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill

dbrok

Saw on Facebook The Sovengard head chef is scheduled for open heart surgery today.  Sounds like a sudden, unexpected turn.  I think they were planning on opening in March so this is not good timing for the restaurant.

Is there ever a good time for medical drama?  In the bigger picture, obviously not.  But this is just a restaurant forum topic.  I hope the surgery goes well.

On February 15, 2016 at 0:49 PM, elcelc said:

Saw on Facebook The Sovengard head chef is scheduled for open heart surgery today.  Sounds like a sudden, unexpected turn.  I think they were planning on opening in March so this is not good timing for the restaurant.

Is there ever a good time for medical drama?  In the bigger picture, obviously not.  But this is just a restaurant forum topic.  I hope the surgery goes well.

I heard that the surgery went well.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/16/2016 at 8:01 AM, ctpgr34 said:

The spot that had Memphis Smokehouse in it on Monroe (next to The Bulls Head) has been leased.  Hopefully something that will stick!

Sushi place going in.  Not sure if it is an existing downtown place moving or a new one all together.

• 1 month later...

Brandywine has been purchased by a new owner. Only the Eastown location.  The new owner is planning to remodel and rebrand this summer.  Full cosmetic update along with a name change.  They will be changing the menu and moving to a breakfast to 2pm, 2pm - 4pm appetizers and drinks, 4pm - close drinks and dinner.  Sounds like they will be having a full bar and will focus on a step similar to Greenwell and Terra, in terms of food and selection, but with a lower price point.  Budget gastropub?  

I have been hoping for a refresh of this place for a while. I am happy its moving forward but I hope that it is enough to stand out and get new customers.  They have been struggling for a while.  Later hours and a full bar could possibly help but with the italian place next to Bombay cuisine closing a while back I'm not sure its enough to kick its customer levels up.  We will see.

On 4/26/2016 at 7:42 PM, EastownLeo said:

Brandywine has been purchased by a new owner. Only the Eastown location.  The new owner is planning to remodel and rebrand this summer.  Full cosmetic update along with a name change.  They will be changing the menu and moving to a breakfast to 2pm, 2pm - 4pm appetizers and drinks, 4pm - close drinks and dinner.  Sounds like they will be having a full bar and will focus on a step similar to Greenwell and Terra, in terms of food and selection, but with a lower price point.  Budget gastropub?  

I have been hoping for a refresh of this place for a while. I am happy its moving forward but I hope that it is enough to stand out and get new customers.  They have been struggling for a while.  Later hours and a full bar could possibly help but with the italian place next to Bombay cuisine closing a while back I'm not sure its enough to kick its customer levels up.  We will see.

Lately this has been where my wife and I end up on a Friday or Saturday night by default when we are hungry and don’t feel like waiting for a table at a more popular restaurant.  I guess we’ll have to find a new fading restaurant or plan our evenings better.   Still like their food though.  

On 4/26/2016 at 7:42 PM, EastownLeo said:

I feel stupid but I can't place Brandywine in my head? 

• 4 months later...

I went to Creston Brewery on Saturday afternoon with my brothers.  It was busy, but not packed.   Service was friendly and attentive.  Beer was good to excellent.  I think I tried eight samples, and really enjoyed 5 of the eight. I took a few growlers home as well.  Large cushy booths have been added to the mix.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mpchicago said:

I went to Creston Brewery on Saturday afternoon with my brothers.  It was busy, but not packed.   Service was friendly and attentive.  Beer was good to excellent.  I think I tried eight samples, and really enjoyed 5 of the eight. I took a few growlers home as well.  Large cushy booths have been added to the mix.  

I went to the Creston Brewery as well on Saturday.  If my previous visits were a 3 out 10 for service, this time around was in the 7-8 range for service.  Hopefully it is just working out the bugs.

Edited by ctpgr34

• 1 month later...

Brighton Greyes closed on Plainfield next to Little Lucy's which is still open. Sign on the door and Facebook says it's now an event center. My daughter says the neighborhood isn't ready for a high end restaurant. She thinks a good burger and specialty fries with some good craft beer would fit better. 

53 minutes ago, Raildude's dad said:

Brighton Greyes closed on Plainfield next to Little Lucy's which is still open. Sign on the door and Facebook says it's now an event center. My daughter says the neighborhood isn't ready for a high end restaurant. She thinks a good burger and specialty fries with some good craft beer would fit better. 

"Sign on the door and Facebook says it's now an event center."

Gone the way of Waldron. I agree with your daughter, Creston market just down the road had to scale back ordering their higher end items, they weren't selling in that neighborhood. 

1 hour ago, ctpgr34 said:

I'm not sure how it was doing but it seems abrupt- http://www.grbj.com/articles/86349-downtown-cheesesteak-business-closes-doors

Not a shocker, but XO closed too

Since both of these announced new ownership the same day they announced closure, it makes me think in both cases someone put an offer on the table to buy-out the lease of the businesses. Granted XO was hurt by the heath department violations, Fat Johnnys probably could have hung on. It was just like Wealthy Street Station, they were doing okay, but a good offer is a good offer, so they walked away.

21 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

Since both of these announced new ownership the same day they announced closure, it makes me think in both cases someone put an offer on the table to buy-out the lease of the businesses. Granted XO was hurt by the heath department violations, Fat Johnnys probably could have hung on. It was just like Wealthy Street Station, they were doing okay, but a good offer is a good offer, so they walked away.

More restaurants changing hands-http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2016/10/restaurateur_buys_rockwell_rep.html#incart_2box_news_grand-rapids

7 minutes ago, ctpgr34 said:

Lobdell has more money than he knows what to do with. He's just finished building 2 Grand Coneys on 28th street, guess he needed a new project. It makes sense Dave and Paul wanted to sell, they are dumping a lot of money into the old Montes to make Butchers Union. It'll be interesting to see how Lobdell handles higher end food, most of his portfolio is cheap eats.