Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill

dbrok

11 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

I know one of the managing partners of Charleston's and they're a South Carolina low country/seafood joint. Great people behind it with lots of restaurant experience and a clever concept. Looking to open in early-ish April. 

Sounds fantastic, its within walking distance so i can't wait. Will they have beer/wine?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jdkacz said:

Sounds fantastic, its within walking distance so i can't wait. Will they have beer/wine?

10 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say yes! 

Sounds great!

For sure! I can't speak for the wine but the managing partner and I are brewing/beer nerd buddies (hence the screen name), so I expect the beer selection to be solid. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Kilwin's in Gaslight? If I recall, I did not think the first chocolate store failed, I thought they had retired/moved out of town.

Sweetielicious, I thought was not ever a great fit. I'd been by multiple times and was advised their breakfast items weren't in as the delivery from the market downtown had not occurred yet.

I think Kilwin's will actually do pretty well.

6 hours ago, twoshort said:

Why would someone put a chocolate store in a retail store front that has failed two previous chocolate stores in the same amount of years?  They have good ice cream too, but you know, Jersey Junction and all.  

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know where this is going?  It's a quote from a MiBiz article-" I’ll let you know of one: We’re going to be reopening Johnny Noto’s pizzeria on the West Side (of Grand Rapids), the store that started it all. The concept is to give that back to the West Side. It’s what got them here. Where is it going to take them the next 20 years? Now we’ll form Noto’s Restaurant Group. It’s a big deal for the family and for myself."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ctpgr34 said:

Anyone know where this is going?  It's a quote from a MiBiz article-" I’ll let you know of one: We’re going to be reopening Johnny Noto’s pizzeria on the West Side (of Grand Rapids), the store that started it all. The concept is to give that back to the West Side. It’s what got them here. Where is it going to take them the next 20 years? Now we’ll form Noto’s Restaurant Group. It’s a big deal for the family and for myself."

I haven't heard a thing about Noto's being interested in the Westside. But I'm all ears now. The Westisde could use a pizzeria that also has a bakery, it's something missing in the neighborhood. 

On 4/25/2017 at 9:36 AM, ctpgr34 said:

Let's hope the food is better there than at Noto's. :P

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/30/2017 at 6:27 PM, walker said:

So, it opened this week but with a different name as explained in this Mlive story:

charleston-inspired_restaurant

Its tasty stuff! The soups and salads were great, the hush puppies are on point and I had the tastiest roasted chicken at a restaurant in a long time. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, ctpgr34 said:

I went here once, it was good, but I can see how parking would be a pain.- http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2017/07/barbecue_joint_closes_in_downt.html#incart_river_home

Yeah, good food but terrible location. The only destination in that area is Founders, which is like a bug zapper drawing everything to it. If you're going out to eat and going to Founders, you'd just eat at Founders. If you're just going out to eat, it's way off the radar for most people. No real lunch crowd either. Love the building though. It has to be a destination in and of itself to survive. 

48 minutes ago, EastownLeo said:

New restaurant is opening at 1146 Wealthy.  Across from the, hopefully soon, sister restaurant to donkey and winchester.

I have not heard any details but know that Copperrock is currently doing buildout.

I've seen that space listed for a long time. Always thought it would be a great building for a restaurant.

• 2 weeks later...