Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill

dbrok

• 1 month later...

15 hours ago, TheLonesomeHobo said:

I can confirm this isn't a rumor, HopCat will be opening a second GR location somewhere around Knapps Corner. I'd keep my eyes on the former Fajita Republic building, or a new stand alone across the road.

Seems very odd for Hopcat since all of their other locations are urban/college/rooftop type places. I would have thought a second GR location would be Bridge ST., Easttown, EGR, new downtown Ada, downtown Grandville, downtown Rockford, even a chance on the new downtown Wyoming or something before suburban Knapps corner.  I guess I could see a suburban location in the false urban setup like if they finish the main street concept at knapps corner and have it be a central piece of a mixed use building with a rooftop patio...

44 minutes ago, GR8scott said:

Seems very odd for Hopcat since all of their other locations are urban/college/rooftop type places. I would have thought a second GR location would be Bridge ST., Easttown, EGR, new downtown Ada, downtown Grandville, downtown Rockford, even a chance on the new downtown Wyoming or something before suburban Knapps corner.  I guess I could see a suburban location in the false urban setup like if they finish the main street concept at knapps corner and have it be a central piece of a mixed use building with a rooftop patio...

I agree but I think they're specifically targeting the eastern upscale suburbs (EGR/Forest Hills/etc.).  A downtown Ada spot would be great.

Edited by RegalTDP

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2017 at 11:56 PM, walker said:

Cherie Inn is up for sale:

Cherie Inn Listing

The restaurant seems to have a following and generally has good reviews, but I think it may be time for a new concept, and a overhaul of interior/exterior.   It's a hot corridor, and it appears the owner is ready to cash in.  The building is under utilized too.

• 3 months later...
47 minutes ago, twoshort said:

Rumors abound about a new sports bar on 28th in Cascade? Anyone got the scoop?

Is it going where Quaker Steak was? Or Carabba's? Or by that fireworks place by Home Depot?  Or ....insert chain restaurant that has closed in the last 10 years.... site? 

44 minutes ago, twoshort said:

You know, I think it's the Fowling place that made all the waves 12 months ago. Their liquor license was finally approved in December of 2017 and it looks like they're finally hiring. I'm sure that's it.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2017/02/what_is_fowling_and_why_cascad.html

Maybe this will be fine but it seems at first glance like a great lost opportunity for Cascade to do something special with that location.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, thebeerqueer said:

Confirmed that news yesterday with someone that works in one of the long term tenants. 

That's too bad, I enjoyed their pizza and generally thought they were pretty steady. Is Love's Ice Cream staying open?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On November 21, 2018 at 10:53 PM, uncus said:

Any updates on the former Marie Catribs?

I thought we we would have heard an announcement by now.

But the place just sits . . .

Dark, lonely, with all the chairs on the tables

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was by there today and there was a sign in the window saying something along the line of "a little bird says to watch here closely as something is coming soon". 

I drove by so didn't get a pic. I wonder if that's a clue it's by the same owners as the early bird and little bird cafe/restaurants.

15 hours ago, jdkacz said:

Was by there today and there was a sign in the window saying something along the line of "a little bird says to watch here closely as something is coming soon". 

I drove by so didn't get a pic. I wonder if that's a clue it's by the same owners as the early bird and little bird cafe/restaurants.

That's the last I had heard too; the Little/Early Bird folks. 

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.rapidgrowthmedia.com/features/GR_restaurants_2019.aspx?utm_source=Emma&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=New+year%2c+new+food%3a+10+restaurants%2c+cafes%2c+%26+bars+you%27ll+be+digging+into+in+2019&utm_content=Newsletter&utm_campaign=Welcome+back%2c+readers!+10+new+restaurants+for+2019%2c+MLK+day+celebrations%2c+and+more.

its official, they have a lot to live to at that spot.