Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill

dbrok

According to the city's permits there is a 3,900 square foot build out going in at 169 LOUIS CAMPAU PROMENADE. I wonder/HOPE that is the creepy gross vacant space across from Panera/Z's. That would be really cool if that promenade could be lined on both sides with some dining options and fill the area with cafe tables. Wonder what it will be. 

I noticed that Buddy's Pizza was having a contest to guess where their next location would be on Twitter.  They haven't announced but they linked to an article in Mlive about Carrabba's on 28th street closing.  I've never had their pizza but it seems people are pretty excited about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GRJohn said:

I noticed that Buddy's Pizza was having a contest to guess where their next location would be on Twitter.  They haven't announced but they linked to an article in Mlive about Carrabba's on 28th street closing.  I've never had their pizza but it seems people are pretty excited about it.

That would be pretty cool to get a Buddy's over here. They are generally considered one of the original Detroit Style Pizzas.

On 1/18/2019 at 8:35 AM, GVSUChris said:

According to the city's permits there is a 3,900 square foot build out going in at 169 LOUIS CAMPAU PROMENADE. I wonder/HOPE that is the creepy gross vacant space across from Panera/Z's. That would be really cool if that promenade could be lined on both sides with some dining options and fill the area with cafe tables. Wonder what it will be. 

Is that where that dentist's office used to be? 

4 hours ago, GRJohn said:

That would make sense, I drove by a week or two ago and noticed there was work being done.  And I concur , it would be nice to get Buddy’s over here.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

So I was downtown the other night with a group of friends and we noticed that this space has signs in all the window for Korean BBQ and Korean Karaoke. For some people that might seem a little odd but that is actually a huge deal and if done well I think it'll be amazing. Korean Karaoke is a legit thing that people seek out when traveling and so I could see this actually being a really fun spot. It'll need to be because it's such an odd spot. 

I believe that the Emonae Korean BBQ people are behind this place. They were mentioning that they were looking to bring a concept downtown, but I hadn't anything about it in a while.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tillman's closing Thursday.  Kind of a mostly forgotten old style full service steak house:

GRBJ: steakhouse-closing-doors

My wife goes there occasionally with friends.  I don't think I've been there since it was Tillman's and it's been Tillman's for probably at least thirty years.  It used to have an Italian name, can't remember the name, it might have been something like Delmonico's.  I remember it has a mirror almost completely across one wall that made the room seem like it was twice as big.      

On 2/26/2019 at 11:39 PM, walker said:

Tillman's closing Thursday.  Kind of a mostly forgotten old style full service steak house:

GRBJ: steakhouse-closing-doors

My wife goes there occasionally with friends.  I don't think I've been there since it was Tillman's and it's been Tillman's for probably at least thirty years.  It used to have an Italian name, can't remember the name, it might have been something like Delmonico's.  I remember it has a mirror almost completely across one wall that made the room seem like it was twice as big.      

I heard yesterday that the building had been sold (so it won't reopen). Don't know if that means future development on the property, or if it'll eventually be a different restaurant. 

Joe

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think it could fit well in that area. It is a bit of a cursed location, but it only takes the right concept (Hopcat on east Beltline). I had never heard of Coopers Hawk but it looks like a fast growing chain of “upscale American” food with a wine bar. 

I hope it does well. That immediate area needs a reboot. 

Joe

That general area is bizarro world.  It is so hit and miss.  The old Don Julio’s next to ihop has been vacant for years.  The Roaring Twenties strip mall seems to always struggle for quality tenants.  That new hotel on the south side of 28th St. is interesting.  From 96 west to East Paris it just doesn’t feel cohesive.  

• Like 2