dbrok

Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill

15 hours ago, jdkacz said:

Was by there today and there was a sign in the window saying something along the line of "a little bird says to watch here closely as something is coming soon". 

I drove by so didn't get a pic. I wonder if that's a clue it's by the same owners as the early bird and little bird cafe/restaurants.

That's the last I had heard too; the Little/Early Bird folks. 

http://www.rapidgrowthmedia.com/features/GR_restaurants_2019.aspx?utm_source=Emma&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=New+year%2c+new+food%3a+10+restaurants%2c+cafes%2c+%26+bars+you%27ll+be+digging+into+in+2019&utm_content=Newsletter&utm_campaign=Welcome+back%2c+readers!+10+new+restaurants+for+2019%2c+MLK+day+celebrations%2c+and+more.

its official, they have a lot to live to at that spot.

According to the city's permits there is a 3,900 square foot build out going in at 169 LOUIS CAMPAU PROMENADE. I wonder/HOPE that is the creepy gross vacant space across from Panera/Z's. That would be really cool if that promenade could be lined on both sides with some dining options and fill the area with cafe tables. Wonder what it will be. 

I noticed that Buddy's Pizza was having a contest to guess where their next location would be on Twitter.  They haven't announced but they linked to an article in Mlive about Carrabba's on 28th street closing.  I've never had their pizza but it seems people are pretty excited about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GRJohn said:

I noticed that Buddy's Pizza was having a contest to guess where their next location would be on Twitter.  They haven't announced but they linked to an article in Mlive about Carrabba's on 28th street closing.  I've never had their pizza but it seems people are pretty excited about it.

That would be pretty cool to get a Buddy's over here. They are generally considered one of the original Detroit Style Pizzas.

On 1/18/2019 at 8:35 AM, GVSUChris said:

According to the city's permits there is a 3,900 square foot build out going in at 169 LOUIS CAMPAU PROMENADE. I wonder/HOPE that is the creepy gross vacant space across from Panera/Z's. That would be really cool if that promenade could be lined on both sides with some dining options and fill the area with cafe tables. Wonder what it will be. 

Is that where that dentist's office used to be? 

4 hours ago, GRJohn said:

That would make sense, I drove by a week or two ago and noticed there was work being done.  And I concur , it would be nice to get Buddy’s over here.

3 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

So I was downtown the other night with a group of friends and we noticed that this space has signs in all the window for Korean BBQ and Korean Karaoke. For some people that might seem a little odd but that is actually a huge deal and if done well I think it'll be amazing. Korean Karaoke is a legit thing that people seek out when traveling and so I could see this actually being a really fun spot. It'll need to be because it's such an odd spot. 

I believe that the Emonae Korean BBQ people are behind this place. They were mentioning that they were looking to bring a concept downtown, but I hadn't anything about it in a while.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, EastownLeo said:

I heard a rumor that Taqueria San Jose will be closing because the owners are moving away?

Is this true?

That would be a huge loss for GR. I really hope it isn't true.

Really hope that isn't true. There are many excellent taquerias in S GR, but Taqueria San Jose is among the best.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mpchicago said:

Zivio is up and running on Wealthy Street in the former Georgina's.

https://www.ziviogr.com/

Went there last Friday for dinner and everything was great. It looks like they really haven't changed any of the interior besides signage

Tillman's closing Thursday.  Kind of a mostly forgotten old style full service steak house:

GRBJ: steakhouse-closing-doors

My wife goes there occasionally with friends.  I don't think I've been there since it was Tillman's and it's been Tillman's for probably at least thirty years.  It used to have an Italian name, can't remember the name, it might have been something like Delmonico's.  I remember it has a mirror almost completely across one wall that made the room seem like it was twice as big.      

On 2/26/2019 at 11:39 PM, walker said:

Tillman's closing Thursday.  Kind of a mostly forgotten old style full service steak house:

GRBJ: steakhouse-closing-doors

My wife goes there occasionally with friends.  I don't think I've been there since it was Tillman's and it's been Tillman's for probably at least thirty years.  It used to have an Italian name, can't remember the name, it might have been something like Delmonico's.  I remember it has a mirror almost completely across one wall that made the room seem like it was twice as big.      

I heard yesterday that the building had been sold (so it won't reopen). Don't know if that means future development on the property, or if it'll eventually be a different restaurant. 

Joe