Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill

dbrok

Does anybody know where the nearest Sonic is? I know, it doesn't fit the mold of most of the other restaurants discussed in this thread. However, they flood Grand Rapids television stations with advertisements, and there isn't one anywhere in town. My buddies and I always talk about pulling a Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle move and taking a road trip to a Sonic on those nights with nothing else to do.

For the aspiring entrepreneur, I bet a Sonic would take in some serious $$ in the right location.

Does anybody know where the nearest Sonic is? I know, it doesn't fit the mold of most of the other restaurants discussed in this thread. However, they flood Grand Rapids television stations with advertisements, and there isn't one anywhere in town. My buddies and I always talk about pulling a Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle move and taking a road trip to a Sonic on those nights with nothing else to do.

For the aspiring entrepreneur, I bet a Sonic would take in some serious $$ in the right location.

KOKOMO, IN

There isn't one in Michigan, but everyone knows about the Sonic commercials. I always thought Sonic would be a great business to open...BUT...here's the info I found on the Sonic website:

These are the basic requirements to own a SONIC franchise:

* The term of a SONIC franchise is 20 years, plus a 10-year renewal.

* The franchise fee is $30,000, with a total initial investment ranging from $710,000 to $2.3 million.

* You must have prior or current successful restaurant experience and/or strong entrepreneurial skills.

* Royalty fees are 1 to 5 percent; advertising fees are 4 to 5 percent.

* Financial Requirements Are:

Liquidity Net Worth

1 Store $500,000 $500,000

2 Stores $1,000,000 $1,000,000

3 Stores $1,500,000 $1,500,000

5+ Stores $2,000,000 $3,500,000

Edited by GrandRiverCityKid

"Secchia has (and has had) his hands on numerous properties downtown. He used to have his office in the Federal Square Building. He also used to own the Rowe Hotel (Olds Manor). Although that does make you wonder why he doesn't currently have office space downtown."

CORRECTION: Peter Secchia currently does have office space downtown in the Exhibitor's Building behind the Amway Grand Plaza on Lyon.

Off-topic, I know, but this forum is where the false statement above was originally made.

I often wonder why I constantly see Sonic ads when we don't have any in this area. Don't most companies, especially retailers and restaurants, do ad placements regionally??

Oh, sorry woz :blush: Thanks for the correction on Secchia. ^^^back up a few posts^^^

It may be we see them because of Comcast... Maybe they just blanket advertise (are there any in Detroit?)...

Not really a "rumor" but here's a story on Noto's expansion and the new "The Cellar" Dining area:

"The Cellar" shoots for gastronomic stars

...reservation only dining area includes a chef's menu with five, seven or nine courses..

..price per person is $100 not including wines...

..more than 40,000 bricks from 200 year old buildings in Chicago make up the gazebo-like ceilings, domes and columns...

Here's a photo from the Business Journal from last year:

Noto.jpg