Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill

dbrok

I don't know whether you guys care or not right now :P , but it looks like there is a new restaurant/pub opening up at 1005 Wealthy Street in Easttown called the "Meanwhile". Anyone know which building is 1005?

It is the old Two Stan's bar on the NE corner of Diamond and Wealthy. Members of the Division Ave Arts Coopearative [http://www.thedaac.org] are opening it.

I don't know whether you guys care or not right now :P , but it looks like there is a new restaurant/pub opening up at 1005 Wealthy Street in Easttown called the "Meanwhile". Anyone know which building is 1005?

It is the old Two Stan's bar on the NE corner of Diamond and Wealthy. Members of the Division Ave Arts Coopearative [http://www.thedaac.org] are opening it.

Hey I heard a rumor about a certain 2 guys buying Tapps and Gardellas.. anyone else hear this?

Tapps had two owners. One sold his share to the the other. The new single owner is willing to sell but hasn't done so as of today. I have the name of who bought who out, but you can PM me if you're that curious :)

Daddy,

The Meanwhile project, 1005 Wealthy Street SE, is in the Wealthy Theatre Historic District, which is part of the East Hills neighborhood. It is located just east of Diamond. Oh, and it will be a neighborhood pub, no food.

-Wealthy Witch

Daddy,

The Meanwhile project, 1005 Wealthy Street SE, is in the Wealthy Theatre Historic District, which is part of the East Hills neighborhood. It is located just east of Diamond. Oh, and it will be a neighborhood pub, no food.

-Wealthy Witch

So it's diagonal to that big empty lot and just north of the grocery store/market?

What is the latest on that empty lot? I guess that is question for another thread...do we have one for that?

I found a flyer requesting works from local artists to decorate the walls of a new "Piquant Cafe." No address is given, but it says the cafe is scheduled to open in Grand Rapids in February. The phone number for more information has a 949 area code -- southern CA.

Anyone heard about this?

I found a flyer requesting works from local artists to decorate the walls of a new "Piquant Cafe." No address is given, but it says the cafe is scheduled to open in Grand Rapids in February. The phone number for more information has a 949 area code -- southern CA.

Anyone heard about this?

Ohh ohh, I can answer this one, since it's near where I live. Almost to the corner of Plainfield and 4 Mile. Next to Taco Boy where the Hungry Howies used to be.

It's not open yet. I can't imagine this thing taking off, its not really in a good location.

Ohh ohh, I can answer this one, since it's near where I live. Almost to the corner of Plainfield and 4 Mile. Next to Taco Boy where the Hungry Howies used to be.

It's not open yet. I can't imagine this thing taking off, its not really in a good location.

That section of Plainfield seems like it never recovered from it's heydays of the 60's and 70's. That street is lined with failed projects, Witmark, North Kent Mall and the shopping plaza across from Taco Boy come to mind.

That section of Plainfield seems like it never recovered from it's heydays of the 60's and 70's. That street is lined with failed projects, Witmark, North Kent Mall and the shopping plaza across from Taco Boy come to mind.

You're right. Where the old Handy Andy was has never had a long term tenant. The old Meijer offices near the mall is underutilized by a church. The old movie theater has never been redeveloped (now K&M Dodge is looking at the property to expand their used car lot). Witmark has not had a tenant in close to ten years. The old laundromat in front of D&W is vacant again (Bargain Books closed about a month ago). The Rent-a-Center next to D&W is vacant again. The Hot-n-Now near Jupiter has been vacant for over 10 years. The old Taco Bell is now closed since they've opened two new ones in the area (near I-96 and on the Beltline). The old 4 Star Gas Station has been closed for about 10 years. The lot where the old Fire Barn was is vacant. The area is vacant all over.

It's interesting that the stretch between 96 and 5 mile is horribly stagnant. The other end near the Beltline is going crazy with new development.

The area is ripe for redevelopment.

That'd be a great spot for a bar. I've been looking for something close to Eastown that isn't Billy's or Mulligan's, but not all the way downtown. I also think that Wealthy Business District would benefit greatly from a bar.

What about Pickwick Tavern? on Cherry. That's close to where you're looking. (I think that's what it's called).