Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill

dbrok

I was just going to say that. Pretty bizzare (although, there's probably a good reason for it).

They have a pretty small staff, and everytime I'm in there, none of them seem too enthusiastic about being there. Staying open 'til 2:00 just probably isn't worth it for them.

Edited by houseofdon

You're right. Where the old Handy Andy was has never had a long term tenant. The old Meijer offices near the mall is underutilized by a church. The old movie theater has never been redeveloped (now K&M Dodge is looking at the property to expand their used car lot). Witmark has not had a tenant in close to ten years. The old laundromat in front of D&W is vacant again (Bargain Books closed about a month ago). The Rent-a-Center next to D&W is vacant again. The Hot-n-Now near Jupiter has been vacant for over 10 years. The old Taco Bell is now closed since they've opened two new ones in the area (near I-96 and on the Beltline). The old 4 Star Gas Station has been closed for about 10 years. The lot where the old Fire Barn was is vacant. The area is vacant all over.

It's interesting that the stretch between 96 and 5 mile is horribly stagnant. The other end near the Beltline is going crazy with new development.

The area is ripe for redevelopment.

To add to all of this the D&W is closing, so I'm sure that will be vacant for a while as well.

And the plainfield Meijer is a COMPLETE piece of trash.

I work/live less than a mile from it, and REFUSE to shop there. BARF.

I go to Knapp instead. :)

I live halfway between both and always go to the one at Knapp's Corner. It's amazing the difference in quality and upkeep between the two stores. I have to say Meijer isn't exactly consistent keeping all stores uniform in the area. Compare the Cascade and Knapp's Corner Stores to the Plainfield and 28th & Kalamazoo locations.

I live halfway between both and always go to the one at Knapp's Corner. It's amazing the difference in quality and upkeep between the two stores. I have to say Meijer isn't exactly consistent keeping all stores uniform in the area. Compare the Cascade and Knapp's Corner Stores to the Plainfield and 28th & Kalamazoo locations.

Don't forget about the 54th and Clyde Park location! EWW!

I love the Meijer at Kalamazoo and 28th street, but then, I've been going

there since it was "Meijer Thrifty Acres." It could certainly be cleaner,

but there is something I really enjoy about shopping there on a Saturday

morning. As you go through the aisles, you can here at least three other

languages being spoken by other customers. Gives me a world market

feeling I don't get too many other places in town. Rumor has it that it is

also a favorite store of Fred Meijer, and as soon as he passes away, the

kids will dump the property. Sad.

I love the Meijer at Kalamazoo and 28th street, but then, I've been going

there since it was "Meijer Thrifty Acres." It could certainly be cleaner,

but there is something I really enjoy about shopping there on a Saturday

morning. As you go through the aisles, you can here at least three other

languages being spoken by other customers. Gives me a world market

feeling I don't get too many other places in town. Rumor has it that it is

also a favorite store of Fred Meijer, and as soon as he passes away, the

kids will dump the property. Sad.

I love this Meijer, too. We call it "International Meijer" and usually go there or to Knapp Street. I like the size of Int'l Meijer and the fact that the layout has stayed relatively the same over the years. And like you, I love to hear the vast array of languages spoken by the shoppers.

That'd be a great spot for a bar. I've been looking for something close to Eastown that isn't Billy's or Mulligan's, but not all the way downtown. I also think that Wealthy Business District would benefit greatly from a bar.

I'm telling you, the area could use another bar or two, even with the approved Meanwhile project. With 20,000 residents living within a 15 minute walk at most, bring it on.

Don't forget the red wine, I prefer a Shiraz.

I do too. It usually throws people off that I can throw with both hands. It helped me get out of a few tough spots.

Sweet - I am ambidextrious (sp?) too. I shoot hockey left-handed, golf right-handed, throw foot/baseball right handed, throw frisbee right and left, bocce right, horseshoes righ and left....

Quite odd...