Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill

dbrok

I heard this weekend that Real Food Cafe is opening another location up near Northland Drive. It's supposed to open next month, I think.

I saw that when I drove by this weekend. It's going into a small strip mall where the old bagel place and Mancino's used to be. Next to the old 4 Star gas station.

I can't wait for that, I love Real Food Cafe.

I don't know if this has been posted yet or not, so if it has, my appologies.

BW3's or are they called Wild Buffalo Wings now is moving into the old Damon's Restuarant on 44th Street between Bryon Center Ave and Ivanrest west of the Rivertown Mall. We have talked about it on this site before, but I didn't know if it was a rumor or not. I drove by the site this past weekend on there was a For Sale sign for the site, but on the old Damon's sign it states that BW3's will be opening soon. I think it will do well in that area being close to the Mall and across from the Ramblewood complex etc.

I think it will do well in that area being close to the Mall and across from the Ramblewood complex etc.

I think you're right. I used to live in Ramblehood and it was a PITA to drive out to 28th St for my buffalo wing fix. I'd have loved to have a B-Dub's in my backyard. About 2 years too late for me, I'm afraid.

/4 miles to the nearest BWW now, woohoo!

I saw a sign at the Celebration North complex for a new Japanese-Chinese restaurant called Minado I think. Surprisingly, it's on the second floor of that office building that was recently completed. Anyone tried it out yet?

Edited by dbrok

I saw a sign at the Celebration North complex for a new Japanese-Chinese restaurant called Minado I think. Surprisingly, it's on the second floor of that office building that was recently completed. Anyone tried it out yet?

Yes, we got Chinese takeout from there. Lunch buffet is $6.99 and Dinner was something like $10.00. They had quite a bit of Sushi in the buffet, all included. We plan to go back and check it out. Nice view of the neighborhood.

Back to you dbrok.

I think you're right. I used to live in Ramblehood and it was a PITA to drive out to 28th St for my buffalo wing fix. I'd have loved to have a B-Dub's in my backyard. About 2 years too late for me, I'm afraid.

/4 miles to the nearest BWW now, woohoo!

Oh good. I thought that I was the only one with the Tuesday night addiction!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone tried the Omelette Shoppe yet? As part of the renovated Breton Village?

I hadn't seen Breton Village since they finished. Not a bad job.

I had a chance to try it a couple months ago and it was surprisingly good. By far the best of the Restaurant Partners Inc line of eateries: Beltline Bar, Sundance Grill, Bagel Beanery.

Yes, we got Chinese takeout from there. Lunch buffet is $6.99 and Dinner was something like $10.00. They had quite a bit of Sushi in the buffet, all included. We plan to go back and check it out. Nice view of the neighborhood.

Back to you dbrok.

sushi on a 6.99 buffet??? is it good???

it's really intresting... the trends in Grand Rapids. I noticed last march that Meijer sells sushi in their front counter area now. A few years ago it seems like everyone in the area was scared of the stuff. raw fish and SEAWEED? OMG!! ;) it's weird how things change... for the better though. I'm glad to see that parts of the US are opening up to non-chinese asian food. I just hope we don't Americanize it more than the CA roll has already (there is real sushi similar to CA rolls).

And... incase people don't know. sushi does not necessarilly always have fish (and when it does, sometimes it's even cooked). Sushi is just the rice. "Vinegar rice". There are a lot of great sushis that are just piles of ride with whatever on it.

for instance... Chirashizushi.

chirashizushi.jpg

Edited by tony speller

suushi <3

One thing I need to learn, is there a certain term to refer to the rolls of suushi? Every time I order it at a resturaunt, I get straight-up raw fish and nothing else... not even suushi, really. Wasn't that called Sashimi? Been a while since I researched that.

My favourite place to eat downtown is still Marado Sushi. That Miso was totemo oishii~! ('very delicious' for 99% of the people here)

Cut out those greens (I don't mind greens, I just hate those two with a passion) and I would be all over chirashizushi.

suushi <3

One thing I need to learn, is there a certain term to refer to the rolls of suushi? Every time I order it at a resturaunt, I get straight-up raw fish and nothing else... not even suushi, really. Wasn't that called Sashimi? Been a while since I researched that.

My favourite place to eat downtown is still Marado Sushi. That Miso was totemo oishii~! ('very delicious' for 99% of the people here)

Cut out those greens (I don't mind greens, I just hate those two with a passion) and I would be all over chirashizushi.

like i said... sushi has noting to do with the fish. it's all about the rice first of all... however else you prepare it just determines what kind of sushi it is. Raw fish is Sashimi, correct. If you're asking for sushi and gettign sashimi then they don't know what they're doing and their sushi probably isn't really worth your time.

since you're intrested... check out these kinds of sushi

here's a larger list :)

Edited by tony speller

like i said... sushi has noting to do with the fish. it's all about the rice first of all... however else you prepare it just determines what kind of sushi it is. Raw fish is Sashimi, correct. If you're asking for sushi and gettign sashimi then they don't know what they're doing and their sushi probably isn't really worth your time.

since you're intrested... check out these kinds of sushi

here's a larger list :)

Mmmm....sushi! This is making me hungry!!! The pic posted of the Chirashizushi looks amazingly delicious!

A new Turkish restaurant called Zeytin is now open in Ada (in the actual small village of Ada).

I guess it's been there for about 1 month. We ate there last Friday and it's outstanding.

A great selection of dinners and alcohol!

By the way, Zeytin means "Olive" in Turkish.

Edited by john_denver

suushi <3

Have you been to Mikado on 28th street/East Paris? Highly recommend the lunch buffet! 5 sushi/6 vegetable rolls and miso soup. This is some of the best sushi I have had...and the price ($6.99) cannot be beat for this quality of sushi.

Have you been to Mikado on 28th street/East Paris? Highly recommend the lunch buffet! 5 sushi/6 vegetable rolls and miso soup. This is some of the best sushi I have had...and the price ($6.99) cannot be beat for this quality of sushi.

My favorite sushi at Mikado is the spicy tuna roll. Their dragon roll is awesome (you have to ask for it... and it is expensive, but well worth it).

BF

Edited by Budgie Frisket