Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill

dbrok

Bar Louie is to open today. Stopped there yesterday and they were finishing training the staff, but still didn't have the liquor license in their hands. The gentleman at the door did tell us they would be opening today though. It is inside the Woodland Mall, but has plenty of outdoor seating right across from On The Border, and near the new Cinemark.

Bar Louie is to open today. Stopped there yesterday and they were finishing training the staff, but still didn't have the liquor license in their hands. The gentleman at the door did tell us they would be opening today though. It is inside the Woodland Mall, but has plenty of outdoor seating right across from On The Border, and near the new Cinemark.

It really suprises me that they decided on this location. I would think they could do MUCH better downtown in the bar district based on what I know about this Bar/Restaurant. They seem to go for a nightlife crowd, and I don't see that happening at the mall.

• 2 weeks later...

Chris Knape talked about it in his blog. I went there for the first time for a gyro because the dog pit was closed. First time I ever had a gyro and damn it was good! I was gonna grab another saturday whilst putting up fliers for my event on friday, and notised they were closed. =[

I hope that space gets filled with something else soon, I'd hate to see a new vacant spot along monroe center.

Just saw a new bar/restaurant just opened up on Stocking and 4th by the KopperTop. Don't know what it's called, but it looks pretty nice! ANyone have any info?

Went to the Monarch Club tonight. It's really nice inside. Pretty small and cozy. I definately recomend it for a beer or two. They have Delirium Tremens on tap. I've only seen it in the bottle prior to this. I paid $8.50 for an 11.6 oz bottle at Rathskellers in Indianapolis, Monarch has it for $5.00 a pint. A must try.

Monarch Club is real nice. I sat there enjoying some porter and imagined the small but cozy interior packed with patrons on a cool fall evening. They have a small food menu, and there liquor selection needs to improve vastly, but they haven't even had there grand opening yet (Oct 13th). Tried to watch a bit of a baseball playoff game from the booths on the same side of the bar as 4th street, but a large structural post blocks the view of the largest TV - strange arrangement. Overall, excellent beer selections on draft and in bottle/can.

Edited by jdfjrph

Monarch Club is real nice. I sat there enjoying some porter and imagined the small but cozy interior packed with patrons on a cool fall evening. They have a small food menu, and there liquor selection needs to improve vastly, but they haven't even had there grand opening yet (Oct 13th). Tried to watch a bit of a baseball playoff game from the booths on the same side of the bar as 4th street, but a large structural post blocks the view of the largest TV - strange arrangement. Overall, excellent beer selections on draft and in bottle/can.

You guys are killing me with this beer talk. What kind of selection are we talking 'bout here? Somehow I doubt it bests Logan's (20 taps, 120 bottles). FWIW, Graydon's Crossing has Delirium Tremens on tap about 10 days ago.

<Totally off topic, but another locked thread worries me: do I need to have a "certain number" of posts before I can start a topic in the coffee house? Seems to be lots of craft beer nuts here....I'd love to see where eveyone's hangout is...>

You guys are killing me with this beer talk.

I think you have to have a certain number to start one in the main urban planet coffee house. This is the GR Coffee House.

And no, Monarch's selection isn't anywhere near logans. They have maybe 6 - 7 on tap. I had an Ichabod and a Founders IPA (both $4.00/pint), then they had the Delirium, and now I can't remember the rest. But it's a great neighborhood atmosphere. Much more cozy than Logans.

If you're ever in the area of plymouth michigan, stop in at the box bar. I want to say they something like 600+ beers. Their cooler is massive.. I had my rehearsal dinner there. :D As an aside, I think my favorite beer of the moment is McEwans Scotch Ale.

:rofl: Classic. You guys realize what Delirium Tremens means, don't you?

The bottle is even better - pictures of dancing pink elephants and crocodiles. The tap handle is even a pink elephant!

In Canada, the beer comes in paper-wrapped bottles because the gov't finds the name offensive. (Actually, used to be sold in the states under a different name, which presently escapes me. . .)

http://www.delirium.be