Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill

dbrok

if UNO opens, it will be a discrace to everyone in the area who knows how great REAL chicago pizza is. What they need to do is open a Giordanos!!

Didn't Uno's invent Chicago-style pizza?

Uno's founded 1943 (source: unos.com)

Giordano's founded 1974 (source: Giordanos.com)

All that said, there's a chance I suppose that Giordano's will come here eventually too. They have multiple locations in Florida now so clearly they're no longer a Chicago-only chain any more than Uno's.

Edited by suydam

Didn't Uno's invent Chicago-style pizza?

Uno's founded 1943 (source: unos.com)

Giordano's founded 1974 (source: Giordanos.com)

All that said, there's a chance I suppose that Giordano's will come here eventually too. They have multiple locations in Florida now so clearly they're no longer a Chicago-only chain any more than Uno's.

According to Wikipedia, yeah... UNO's invented chicago style pizza. but honestly, i don't care who came first. I do know that every UNO's I have eaten at pales in comparison to the smaller chicago style pizza chains and local restaurants in the city. Maybe UNO's was great too at one time, but I'm sure (like most other chains) that when it became corporate or a chain or whatever, that it lost a lot of quality. I mean, people outside of the midwest probably wouldn't know what good chicago pizza is or isn't anyway. if UNOs shows up in a town where there was nothing like that before, I'm sure people would love it. There are a TON of Chicagoans in the area though... besides the fact that a lot of Grand Rapidians go there pretty often. If they opened a Giordanos (it does actually have some restaurants outside of IL), I can pretty much guarantee it'd get more business than UNO's.

Edited by tony speller

i agree. i like uno, but giordanno's takes the cake (or pie). gino's never did it for me. uno in chicago is great. uno in grand rapids is a poor carbon-copy.

I think Big Bob's has a better chicago here than Uno's does. I also agree with the gioradonno's sentament, i love that place.

We need an original house of pancakes! I love that too!

UNO's in downtown chicago (and due, the sister restaurant) are COMPLETELY different than Uno's Chicago Grill (The chain restaurant).

The chain pizza comes on a rack, is thinner and is not true deep dish. (because of the rack).

The put the pizza on the rack and then insidethe deep pan to make it look more traditional, it is not.

Uno chain restaurants are a total scam. For Grand Rapids people, Chicago Deep Dish and Dogs is by far the best true deep dish pizza. While in Chicago, eat at Uno and do a comparison, so different.

Edited by rallymatt

Uno chain restaurants are a total scam. For Grand Rapids people, Chicago Deep Dish and Dogs is by far the best true deep dish pizza. While in Chicago, eat at Uno and do a comparison, so different.

Sadly, Chicago Deep Dish and Dogs just went out of business.

Really? I shoulda gone there last week when I wanted too!

Total bummer. But I was completely expecting that to happen. (suprised they lasted this long really)

I thought the same thing! I went there last week, and there was a sign on the door saying they closed on Sept. 30.

"Chicken Out"

Who has been to this amazing mexican resturant on Burton, just west of 131? I know that Chicken Out isn't it's real name, but when I lived in town... that's the name that was always on the sign. If it's still there, you people should really go check it out if you haven't. They might have put up a real sign by now though... so i guess only knowing it as Chicken Out isn't really going to help you on this one. If you're down there though... check it out :)