Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill

dbrok

Yes, they did a nice job on the old Gibsons, the new paint job really brings out the details! Thanks Jeff! Here is the State of Michigan Online Historical background on this Home:

Paddock, Augustus, House

1033 Lake Drive, SE, Grand Rapids - Kent County Other Names Paddock Place

Property Type brick house

Historic Use DOMESTIC/single dwelling

Current Use COMMERCE/TRADE/business

Style Italianate

Late Victorian

Architect/Builder Antoine C. Campau

Robinson and Campau

Narrative Description:

The Agustus Paddock House, erected in 1874, with additions in 1910 and 1914, exhibits Italianate styling present in the original structure, along with Neo-Classical motifs which were added at the beginning of the twentieth century. The brick house rests on a foundation of coursed gray and red cut granite. The fenestration consists of flat topped arched windows surrounded by pedimented hood moldings and several bay windows on the first and second stories. A wrap-around enclosed porch encircles the house and features dentilation at the eaves and paired Ionic columns. The 1910 and 1914 renovations added a third floor ballroom with stucco siding along with a half-tile roof composed of red-orange terra cotta with projecting eaves. Side porches with flat roofs and eight lighted casement windows were added to the second story, while the porch was enclosed by installing multi-paned windows. The structure is set in a landscaped, three acre, fenced parcel of land. Although the building's interior has been altered, the first floor retains many decorative elements from the Italianate period and from the early twentieth century modernization. The building has been substantially rehabilitated and now functions as a restaurant on the first floor with office space on the second and third floors.

Statement of Significance:

Paddock Place was constructed during the lumbering boom of the mid-1800s when Grand Rapids was a fledgling city and furniture manufacturing was just beginning to thrive and associated with the lives of persons who have been significant in the development of Grand Rapids and who have made contributions in other communities throughout Michigan. Lumberman, Augustus Paddock had the present structure built in 1873 or 1874. Prior to his move to Grand Rapids, Paddock was instrumental in bringing the railroad to Newaygo County and he provided leadership in several community positions there. Melvin J. Clark and his wife Emily, later residents of Paddock Place, made an impact in Grand Rapids through various ventures in the grocery and lumber businesses and made many benevolent gifts to the community including the Grand Rapids Art Gallery. Architecturally, Paddock Place remains one of few examples of nineteenth-century Italianate design east of the center city Heritage Hill National Register District. The structure's early twentieth century modifications and addition, were designed, in part, by Robinson and Campau an architectural firm which was responsible for numerous significant buildings in Grand Rapids and throughout Michigan. In 1941, the house was sold to the Order of Franciscans and became known as St. Bernadine's Friary. It is currently the location of Gibson's Restaurant.

Period of Significance 1866-1900

Significant Date(s) 1914

Registry Type(s) 09/12/1985 National Register listed

Site ID# P23732

Edited by mpchicago

A new restaurant to the area is opening at 28th and Beltline, called Old Chicago. Right in front of the new Ramada Inn.

Old Chicago is actually a pretty good place. I ate at one in Tampa, FL and loved it. Great selection of local microbrews and other imports and the pizza was great. For a national chain, I like it. When is it going to open?

Just a note from the press article that GRDadOf3 posted in another thread:

"The hotel's Cygnus restaurant, bar and lounge also is getting a facelift and consolidation of the 27th and 28th floors. The two areas will be combined on the lower level for more casual dining and a relaxed dress code. The upper level will be used for private parties."

Quick question..

We're looking to go Mexican and a movie at Celebration tonite--I know the new Mexican place just south of the Knapp Corner Meijer is now open, but I heard there was a new Mexican place opening in Eastown somewhere also?

Anyone know if its there yet?

:unsure:

No good Mexican places on the NE side, publius :(

Isn't there one on Leonard, possibly at College, that is supposed to be good? I havent been there yet though

Hey andy, you're right. I was thinking Adobe on Leonard (nah), but there is a Caramba at 1215 Fuller. I'll have to check that out. Thanks ;)

http://www.grnow.com/index.php?option=com_...id=312&Itemid=0

If you wanted to head to the burbs and go see a movie at Cinemark at Rivertown Crossings, On the Boarder is MINT!

I know it's chain and all, but you can't deny it all the time.

Maybe its just me, but I've not been impressed with that place. For mexican, nothin beats Maggies or Tacos El Ganadero

Hey andy, you're right. I was thinking Adobe on Leonard (nah), but there is a Caramba at 1215 Fuller. I'll have to check that out. Thanks ;)

http://www.grnow.com/index.php?option=com_...id=312&Itemid=0

We tried that one about a month ago--it had a great reputation and we finally had the night to try it out, but when we got there the doors had been closed, with a note pasted on to a friend saying they had to go back to Mexico suddenly? I hoped everything was ok, but don't know if they ever re-opened? We ended up at Vitali's that night, lol

tonite IS downtown: Bite and Little Shop of Horrors with friends, yeah

:lol:

I second the motion for Seven Seas!-- its the best authentic Mexican restaurant i've found in the Grand Rapids area--and i've tried most of them. Kind of a hole-in-the-wall, but the food rocks!

The new Mexican place in Eastown is going in on Carlton, next to the Domino's pizza at Carlton and Lake Drive. They just put a sign out front last week (the name escapes me) and are currently working on interior remodeling. Not sure when they plan to open. I think they may have a tough time with visibility and parking, but i'm certainly wishing them the best-- my wife and I don't have much in the way of culinary skills and are looking forward to another restaurant within walking distance!

The new Mexican place in Eastown is going in on Carlton, next to the Domino's pizza at Carlton and Lake Drive. They just put a sign out front last week (the name escapes me) and are currently working on interior remodeling. Not sure when they plan to open.

I think it's going to be called Silver Cactus. They had a booth at Eastown Street Fair a couple weekends ago. Not sure on the date either. They were giving away a flyer that just said Fall 2005.

Edited by dbrok