Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill

dbrok

All I know is that you can bring the goods in, and they will supply you with cups, glasses and even a wine opener if needed, but they will not go anywhere near the booze. The customers have to take care of all of the serving.

I hope they weren't on the down low. If so, I just ruined everything. :scared:

The rule is pretty clear that alcohol consumed in restaurant must be bought there. If you're a "regular" you might mention you weren't aware they could do this and see what they say.

New restaurant on East Paris planned. Naya

My wife and I just got back from our wonderful dinner at NAYA

We started with a wonderful goat cheese appetizer with flatbread.

I had a very fresh bibb lettuce salad with candied walnuts and fuji apples. My wife had the Misto salad, also beautifully presented and so tasty.

The entree I chose was the filet mignon - which was sooooo melt in your mouth good, words do not describe. My better half had the Ahi tuna, impeccably delicious.

We finished with two very unique desserts. I had a churro and chile chocolate ice cream... a rich chocolate ice cream with a hint of spicy chili (it was awesome). My wife has six small cups of tea-sorbet (six flavors) that cleaned the palette and was a great finish to a fantastic dining experience.

NAYA is located on East Paris south of Cascade - in the same 'lifestyle center' as Woody's, Bonefish, etc.

I highly recommend it.

My wife and I just got back from our wonderful dinner at NAYA

We started with a wonderful goat cheese appetizer with flatbread.

I had a very fresh bibb lettuce salad with candied walnuts and fuji apples. My wife had the Misto salad, also beautifully presented and so tasty.

The entree I chose was the filet mignon - which was sooooo melt in your mouth good, words do not describe. My better half had the Ahi tuna, impeccably delicious.

We finished with two very unique desserts. I had a churro and chile chocolate ice cream... a rich chocolate ice cream with a hint of spicy chili (it was awesome). My wife has six small cups of tea-sorbet (six flavors) that cleaned the palette and was a great finish to a fantastic dining experience.

NAYA is located on East Paris south of Cascade - in the same 'lifestyle center' as Woody's, Bonefish, etc.

I highly recommend it.

how much was the meal?

Just noticed yesterday there are small coming soon signs posted up on a building near Park Row on Michigan. Looks like Urban Mill/It's a Grind is building a new drive thru location. Although I hope it doesn't hurt their downtown location in the process...

I saw that, too. I really hope Michigan Ave. fills in between that and the hospital, I think it's just a matter of time. It's been awhile since I took Michigan from the Beltline/37 to the city, there are so many big buildings going up there! There is such a difference even from when I lived in Heritage Hill a couple of years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

New BBQ/Chicken place will be opening on Plainfield just south of Creston Business District. Speaking of which, took a peak into Red Ball Jet this morning and they have 2 postings on the door. One is a menu teaser for breakfasts (omelete, fritatta) and also wood fired oven pizzas. No mention of cocktails that I saw on the teaser. Also, they are accepting applications on site and at the B.O.B. if anyone is looking for work. ^_^

every time a friend succeeds, i die a little - Gore Vidal

• 1 month later...

Bloom

Just had dinner at bloom last night.

Wonderful meal, expensive but so different than anything else in town that I am aware of. Here comes the rumor part.

While sitting I overheard that they might be moving. Getting out of that location.

They are having issues with transfering the liquor license over from kentwood.

They are also having huge issues with air conditioning, and the landlord said he could not do anything about it. It was hot.

They are thinking of moving to East Grand Rapids, I hate to see this place go. I hope it does not go. It is a great pairing with the other places in the area. Anyone know anything more.?

Bloom

Wonderful meal, expensive but so different than anything else in town that I am aware of. Here comes the rumor part.

While sitting I overheard that they might be moving. Getting out of that location.

They are also having huge issues with air conditioning, and the landlord said he could not do anything about it. It was hot.

They are thinking of moving to East Grand Rapids, I hate to see this place go. I hope it does not go. It is a great pairing with the other places in the area. Anyone know anything more.?

Thanks for the news corvine. I wish it was just a rumor, I've heard similar rumblings and would absolutely hate to see this place leave East Hills. I am coomforted that if they move they will still be open somewhere in metro GR and the city will still have access to their creative cuisine.

...damn I like that place, I really hope they stay.

... ... and secure their liqour license

Bloom

At least in EGR they haven't up and left for some far-flung suburb.

Gaslight Village is just a short bus ride, bike ride or a long (long) walk from East Hills.

Won't they have similar issues with liquor license in EGR?

I hope this isn't old news but a search didn't turn up any hits. The newest restaurant from the owners of Bistro Bella Vita is scheduled to open in mid-September. It's called The Green Well and is in the area of "Wealthy & Cherry" accourding to our server. More of a pub and less of a restaurant as compared to Bistro.

Union Square definitely does NOT need a restaurant. Charonman, which unit are you in? Are you on the east side, west side, north, south... what? Do you live anywhere near where the restaurant was going to be? If not, then put yourself in the shoes of the residents who would be most affected by this folly.

You need to think about this rationally, not from "a restaurant would be sooo cool!" perspective.

I finally had a chance to eat at Bloom.

Holy cow, what a great little restaurant.

We were blown away by how different it was compared to literally everywhere else we've eaten in town.

Kudos to the team over there, we'll be back for sure.

I even got off my butt and blogged about our visit (which happens very infrequently...I'm lazy like that.)

New BBQ/Chicken place will be opening on Plainfield just south of Creston Business District. Speaking of which, took a peak into Red Ball Jet this morning and they have 2 postings on the door. One is a menu teaser for breakfasts (omelete, fritatta) and also wood fired oven pizzas. No mention of cocktails that I saw on the teaser. Also, they are accepting applications on site and at the B.O.B. if anyone is looking for work. ^_^

every time a friend succeeds, i die a little - Gore Vidal

If im correct, the new bbq/ chicken place is another Corey Hart/ Shannon Williams venture. Does anyone know what's the hold up on its opening?

• 2 weeks later...

I hope it's a Chinese restaurant Budgie. Ha ha!

Union Square definitely does NOT need a restaurant. Charonman, which unit are you in? Are you on the east side, west side, north, south... what? Do you live anywhere near where the restaurant was going to be? If not, then put yourself in the shoes of the residents who would be most affected by this folly.

You need to think about this rationally, not from "a restaurant would be sooo cool!" perspective.