Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill

dbrok

For what it's worth, I was downtown on Saturday night trying out some new video equipment, and the facade of Johnny's Lunch really caught my eye. The neo-retro design really struck a chord with me. I was certainly excited to see something like that downtown - it reminded me of something I'd see in Denver or Chicago. My curiosity was piqued enough to check out their website - they've been family owned in upstate NY since 1936, until just last year when they decided to franchise. Apparently they signed an impressive 75-store deal right off the bat, as far as they can find it's the largest initial franchise deal anyone's ever come out with. GR is only about the fourth one to open.

I'm looking forward to eating there. The current trend may be to scoff at "just dogs and burgers", but I have a great appreciation for those simple foods, especially when they have a pedigree all the way back to the '30s. Certainly I was sorry to hear of the Olive Express closing and wish I'd gotten to try the shawarma and tabouli, but Johnny's Lunch caught my eye as a charming place.

No! I like Wendy's. For a fast food place it's one of my favorites. I hope they are planning on keeping the restaurants seperate brands and no turning the Wendy's into Arby's

I hope so too because I'm not a huge fan of Arby's - I'm not a huge fan of any fast food place really - but Wendy's would be my first choice.

I would imagine that Arby's would keep some of Wendy's staples such as their burgers - or their frosty's - now that they'll have access to the recipes.

Edited by blueradon

I'm no fast foodie, but I can't imagine Arby's would give up the brand recognition of the Wendy's name.

I'd guess it will be like the Taco Bell/KFC marriage. Same ownership, seperate franchises, some over-lap in distribution, promotions, and advertising.

I hope so too because I'm not a huge fan of Arby's - I'm not a huge fan of any fast food place really - but Wendy's would be my first choice.

I would imagine that Arby's would keep some of Wendy's staples such as their burgers - or their frosty's - now that they'll have access to the recipes.

I'm the same way. I don't eat fast food often, but do like to get a spicey chicken sandwhich at Wendy's once in a while and from what I remember Arby's doesn't have anything like that on their menu.

I'm no fast foodie, but I can't imagine Arby's would give up the brand recognition of the Wendy's name.

I'd guess it will be like the Taco Bell/KFC marriage. Same ownership, seperate franchises, some over-lap in distribution, promotions, and advertising.

You're probably right, plus if they did make them all in to one name they would end up closing a lot of locations because suddenly some streets would have two Arby's right next to each other.

I guess I'm just paranoid. Which is silly because if Wendy's did disappear I would have one less excuse to eat fast food.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Speaking on Alger Heights - The owners of Sundaes in the Heights (ice cream shop on the corner of Alger/Eastern) recently took over Gather Grounds coffee shop and turned it into a sandwich shop with coffee - think it's now called Sundaes in the Heights and Cafe. Had lunch there the other day, great build your own sandwich menu and a lot faster than the old place for lunch. Wasn't very busy, but they said their grand opening isn't for another couple of weeks, working on the kinks.

Speaking on Alger Heights - The owners of Sundaes in the Heights (ice cream shop on the corner of Alger/Eastern) recently took over Gather Grounds coffee shop and turned it into a sandwich shop with coffee - think it's now called Sundaes in the Heights and Cafe. Had lunch there the other day, great build your own sandwich menu and a lot faster than the old place for lunch. Wasn't very busy, but they said their grand opening isn't for another couple of weeks, working on the kinks.

That's awesome, I was really disappointed when Eric shut GG down. It'll be nice having a sandwich shop back in the Heights when I return in April.

Did Fulton Heights reopen?

No, unfortunately Alger Heights Foods (nee Fulton Heights) remains closed, seemingly for good. What's sadder is the lack of vocal community support for its replacement. When Boorsma's closed, there was a lot of energy put in to getting another store (Fulton Heights, as it turned out) opened as soon as possible. And compare this to all the support for Alger Hardware after their fire! The two stores used to bouy each other up, but I haven't heard anything about an Alger Heights Foods replacement.