Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill

dbrok

Anybody know what's up at Bloom? I only caught a quick glimpse, but notice that the sign is now INSIDE the building and some notices were posted near the door. That usually signifies a move/remodel or closing. I hope it's not the latter. Parhelion?

I know the sign has been inside for quite some time. I always thought it was strange they didn't leave it up. They were open when it was inside...don't know about the notices or if they're still going or not.

Anybody know what's up at Bloom? I only caught a quick glimpse, but notice that the sign is now INSIDE the building and some notices were posted near the door. That usually signifies a move/remodel or closing. I hope it's not the latter. Parhelion?

I haven't had a chance to speak to the owners, but the restaurant is still kickin'. . . perhaps the hanging sign just broke? I'll report back if I get some info. . .

Walked by Bloom this evening between 7:00 & 8:00 p.m. and there were plenty of people in there. Didn't notice the signs written about.

Ok...cool. I only caught a quick glimpse, and I had a good DayQuil/head cold buzz going on.

Edit: Sorry if I alarmed anybody. Long live Bloom.

Edited by Rhino6885

• 4 weeks later...

The Dragon Room? Anyone? Couldn't find anything in a google search. Old 48 West spot.

2978855653_05ab86677c_b.jpg

I believe Kelly Butler, a local football standout and player in the NFL, is a partner in this project. From what I've heard and through someone who walked away from this project (2nd hand), it's not going to be a place you'll find many UPers.

I believe Kelly Butler, a local football standout and player in the NFL, is a partner in this project. From what I've heard and through someone who walked away from this project (2nd hand), it's not going to be a place you'll find many UPers.

They have a website:

http://www.dragonroomgr.com

It's registered to Steven Hummel

When Amy and I went through Eastown this evening, we noticed that the new edition to Bombay Cuisine has now been officially labeled as a Sports Bar. Anyone know if it's non-smoking? That would rock my world. Well, not quite, but I'd be happy to give them my business. :)

What type of place is it going to be?

Heard Sushi type place with a deep house DJ (Tom Hohman and someone else). Not sure if it's trying to do the restaurant -> club late night thing or just the big city "lounge" type feel. Also heard they've got someone from Marado lined up as the sushi chef.

Heard Sushi type place with a deep house DJ (Tom Hohman and someone else). Not sure if it's trying to do the restaurant -> club late night thing or just the big city "lounge" type feel. Also heard they've got someone from Marado lined up as the sushi chef.

The more sushi places in town the better! (man I'm fiending for a nice tuna sashimi).

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to remember the restaurant/bar that was going to open at 1 Ionia had problems because of getting venting to the roof. Well I see a mechanical contractor has installed a venting system now. Anyone heard anything?

3029799043_17f51c35d1_b.jpg

That vent is a bit of an eyesore. But if the bar was in that much of a critical need to have that vent, beggars can't be choosers. I hopes the vent is on a less visible portion of the building.

That vent is a bit of an eyesore. But if the bar was in that much of a critical need to have that vent, beggars can't be choosers. I hopes the vent is on a less visible portion of the building.

That's the building that faces right out onto the plaza in front of the arena. You can't miss the vent. Apparently they need it if they want to any kind of kitchen operation in that first floor space.

That's the building that faces right out onto the plaza in front of the arena. You can't miss the vent. Apparently they need it if they want to any kind of kitchen operation in that first floor space.

Yeah, that area's not going to be covered anytime soon. I wonder if they could paint it? Do they make paint that sticks to aluminum? Powercoating? Something so that it doesn't stick out...or something that makes it a little more unique.

Yeah, that area's not going to be covered anytime soon. I wonder if they could paint it? Do they make paint that sticks to aluminum? Powercoating? Something so that it doesn't stick out...or something that makes it a little more unique.

If you look in the alley between San Chez and Taps, you'll see that San Chez also runs all of their venting along the outside of the building. They've painted their venting to match the brick, I believe required by HPC, so it's not too noticable. I'd assume the exterior venting on 1 Ionia will also be painted to match the brick, but given the current temperatures outside, this likely won't be done until the spring.

I suppose the alternative is to vent through 4 interior floors and a roof, but I'm sure that would have been extremely cost prohibitive to any operation. If this venting is for a kitchen hood, shouldn't we see more venting soon along the exterior of the building to provide return air? Or perhaps this is the return air and there is not going to be a kitchen.

Edited by plee30

I think you can do electrostatic coating to make the paint stick to metals. Not sure how it holds up outside, but I've seen refrigerators repainted that way.

Anyone have any info on when Chipotle on 28th is going to open? Love their building and can't help but think of what a great fit it would for the Medical Mile. I know it will never happen because Spectrum owns the property but the spot next door to the new Lake Michigan CU would be perfect.

Anyone have any info on when Chipotle on 28th is going to open? Love their building and can't help but think of what a great fit it would for the Medical Mile. I know it will never happen because Spectrum owns the property but the spot next door to the new Lake Michigan CU would be perfect.

I heard that it was opening late '08, early '09. It's not too specific, but Chipotle is apparently planning on a grand opening and media blitz, so you can't miss it when it does open.