Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill

dbrok

I noticed the other day that My Bar is open. Anyone check it out yet?

They actually opened early (before their official opening date) for at least the National Championship basketball game. It's been busy in there a couple of times when I've walked by, so it must not be too bad. :) Or maybe it's still just shiny and new.

Edited by fotoman311

I noticed the other day that My Bar is open. Anyone check it out yet?

I watched a sporting event in there a couple of weeks ago, and it got pretty busy at the end of the weeknight. We just went in for drinks and appetizers, and I thought it was a nice addition to the downtown mix. In this economy, it's so exciting we're getting all this investment in our downtown.

• 4 months later...

I heard something about a new restaurant that is taking its place called Wildfire...or something like that.

Yes, Wildfire Grille:

http://www.grnow.com/index.php?option=com_...Itemid=99999999

Don't know when it's opening and don't know anything about it. :dontknow:

edit: LinkedUp Grand Rapids is having a Back to School meetup there this Thursday from 5:30 - 7:30 if you're interested in checking it out:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/event.p...id=123449276167

Apparently no one did....to My Bar.

After seeing the posts on here I dropped by last night. Nice enough place, the bartenders and servers couldn't have been nicer, the beer was cold and there were games on the all too close to the bar plasma TV's. Pretty much all ya need.

As a side note, a roving band of 9/9/09 partiers rolled in and livened up the place, as did some folks doing a liquor promotion. Seems like they should do well come Griffins season ('cept $1 beer nights..)

• 2 months later...

The Indian restaurant, the name eludes me, using the space formerly occupied by Chez Bayou has closed its doors until Monday. I tried stopping by there today for lunch, but had to settle on the Chinese place next door since I filled the meter. The Indian restaurant is still the same owndership, but they're reopening as an "American" restaurant, which I have no idea what that means. He said he may keep some Indian dishes, but no promises.

• 2 weeks later...

Word on the street also says that Third Coast Properties is working to put a South American, possibly Brazilian, restaurant in the space just to the east of the Omelette Shoppe on Michigan St. They have applied for a liquor license. I don't know an estimated opening date. This seems like something Mr. Knape might have an interest in looking into. thumbsup.gif

Word on the street also says that Third Coast Properties is working to put a South American, possibly Brazilian, restaurant in the space just to the east of the Omelette Shoppe on Michigan St. They have applied for a liquor license. I don't know an estimated opening date. This seems like something Mr. Knape might have an interest in looking into. thumbsup.gif

Third Coast has officially moved into that building now. They used to be out by 28th/East Paris.

• 2 months later...

Cinco de Mayo - Monroe Center edition is just about ready to open.

In recent weeks they'd had wooden armature and plastic on the exterior. That's been removed, and the innards look bright and colorful (red teardrop hanging lamps). Tonight an artist was working on a mural showing the Mexican flag, and there's a GRAND OPENING sign in the window.

• 2 weeks later...

Headed to the sprawly wasteland of Alpine Avenue to have some of our favorite Thai food in GR a couple of weeks ago only to find the place had closed. Didn't feel like going all the way out on Plainfield to try the new Thai Fusion place so we ended up at Vitales in Comstock Park. (At some point we will give Angel's downtown another try, but weren't impressed on our first visit opening night.)

Vitales will be nicer when it's smoke free! They were well into construction on a new addition. Had a delicious IPA from Arcadia. I LOVE that such great beer is so plentiful in Grand Rapids.

Edited by fotoman311

• 1 month later...