Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill

dbrok

• 2 months later...

It now appears that Meritage will be opening a new concept restaurant in Standale rather than the Twisted Rooster. It's called the Crooked Goose.

From Rockford Construction's Facebook Page: "Construction is underway for the new Crooked Goose restaurant coming to Standale, Michigan in June 2012. The new eatery will be located at 355 Wilson Avenue. Crooked Goos is owned and operated by the same Group that brought you Twisted Rooster - Meritage Hospitality, headquartered in Grand Rapids, MI. Check out the sketches of the interior design. Be sure to check it out this summer!"

I can't really tell what the differences will be . . . I've attached a picture of the new concept's interior. It should be interesting to see what they come up with. And only a year or so behind the original schedule - at least it's finally getting built.

post-10000-0-65813100-1333719676_thumb.j

It now appears that Meritage will be opening a new concept restaurant in Standale rather than the Twisted Rooster. It's called the Crooked Goose.

From Rockford Construction's Facebook Page: "Construction is underway for the new Crooked Goose restaurant coming to Standale, Michigan in June 2012. The new eatery will be located at 355 Wilson Avenue. Crooked Goos is owned and operated by the same Group that brought you Twisted Rooster - Meritage Hospitality, headquartered in Grand Rapids, MI. Check out the sketches of the interior design. Be sure to check it out this summer!"

I can't really tell what the differences will be . . . I've attached a picture of the new concept's interior. It should be interesting to see what they come up with. And only a year or so behind the original schedule - at least it's finally getting built.

Can't wait for their next restaurant to open in Kentwood called "Oddly Contorted Swan" :blink:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

4th St Deli closed last month. So disappointed, was hoping they would establish a toe hold on the Seward corridor. Facebook indicates a name change to Two Beards to be located at 38 Commerce but someone I spoke with over at Cherry Deli thinks 'it's months off.' Hmmm ...

RUMOR ALERT: I heard that Panera is moving into the space, hence the lease issue. But that space is not big enough for a Panera. Does that mean something else will be moving out as well?

Anyone else hear this?

Joe

The downtown Pita House is closing as well. In this case, it sounds like they couldn't agree to a new lease, and will be looking for a new location in the downtown area.

http://www.mlive.com...t_river_default

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Sandmann's posted the following on their Facebook page today:

Half-time Sports Bar featuring SANDMANN'S KITCHEN is NOW open!" Come visit us daily from 11:00 am until Midnight. Dine in or take out. 2053 S. Division (2 blocks south of Burton). Entrance is in the rear w/a large parking lot. Spread the word! We NEED YOUR SUPPORT and looking forward to serving you again!

I happened to read that post as I was contemplating heating the can of soup I brought with me for lunch, so instead I went over to check out the new place. Typical sports bar atmosphere (dark), the door toward Division is an emergency exit only, and the food (I got takeout) was as good as always. I'd love to see them open up towards Division - that corridor could use some more prominent non-shady storefronts.

The new location has a lot of promise, as long as it doesn't acquire a similar clientele to some of the other bars nearby on Division. It's only a few blocks from our house, so I'm sure I'll be there often.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like 25 Ottawa is getting a new restaurant - McKay's Downtown will fill the main floor (where 25 Kitchen was) while Prohibition will occupy the basement. 

http://michaelmckays.com/

http://www.facebook.com/McKays.Downtown

http://www.facebook.com/McKays.Prohibition

McKay's looks like it has a pretty eclectic menu (see Facebook link). Prohibition sounds pretty interesting too:

Prohibition @ McKay’s Downtown. A classic gin joint with sycophantic surrounds & temptuous small plates of tantalizingly unctuous bites to accompany your libation.

I hope they do well!

Joe