Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill

dbrok

Except the Score has a lot more going for it then Quaker Steak. Still, I think it's a location and imagine something will fill the spot.

I don't know.  That whole area of 28th St. seems like a dead zone for new restaurants.  This location, the old Papa Vino's, the Roaring 20's Plaza with the old Yen Ching, farther East there is the vacant Don Julio's which used to be something else.  Perkins went belly up across from Costco and now it's a mattress store.  On the other hand, there are still plenty of other dining options which seem to do well.  Maybe it's simply maxed out for dining options and anything new is overkill.  

I don't know.  That whole area of 28th St. seems like a dead zone for new restaurants.  This location, the old Papa Vino's, the Roaring 20's Plaza with the old Yen Ching, farther East there is the vacant Don Julio's which used to be something else.  Perkins went belly up across from Costco and now it's a mattress store.  On the other hand, there are still plenty of other dining options which seem to do well.  Maybe it's simply maxed out for dining options and anything new is overkill.  

If I look at our own 28th Street spending patterns, I generally don't drive the 28th Street/Beltline area down to 28th Street/I-96 area anymore. Or very rarely. Coming from the city it's easier just to get off, hit Costco, Target or Dicks, and get back on the highway. Or take the Beltline down to the Woodland Mall area.

I do agree that The Score has upped their game and offers more than Quaker Steak. They even have a growler filling station now with something like 40 beers on tap. At least they're trying.

A tiki hut concept coming to 59 Commerce (that small building next to Stella's that has been for sale forever). I guess there are people who like Tiki restaurants?

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2014/09/hopcat_owner_mark_sellers_to_o.html#incart_river

That's a pretty awful looking building, so It will be nice to have it cleaned up.   I like BBQ, I like retro, and I like Hawaii, seems like a cool concept to me.  I keep thinking about the Tiki that Greg Brady wore when he took a spill on his surf board, and that Peter wore when the Tarantula crawled on his chest.  :shok:

• Like 1

Knowing Barfly ventures, I think this will be a lot cooler than a Tiki Bob's and Kahunaville. :) Great to see that building get a facelift and Commerce continues to get more and more interesting.

Joe

That's a pretty awful looking building, so It will be nice to have it cleaned up.   I like BBQ, I like retro, and I like Hawaii, seems like a cool concept to me.  I keep thinking about the Tiki that Greg Brady wore when he took a spill on his surf board, and that Peter wore when the Tarantula crawled on his chest.  :shok:

A tiki hut concept coming to 59 Commerce (that small building next to Stella's that has been for sale forever). I guess there are people who like Tiki restaurants?

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2014/09/hopcat_owner_mark_sellers_to_o.html#incart_river

I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's and his hair was perfect.  Just saying.

• Like 1

Knowing Barfly ventures, I think this will be a lot cooler than a Tiki Bob's and Kahunaville. :) Great to see that building get a facelift and Commerce continues to get more and more interesting.

Joe

OMG, Kahunaville at Rivertown Crossings. Wow!

That building wasn't awful at all, it was gorgeous, at least on the inside. Matrix Construction used it for their offices and then it had a sweet woodworking shop in the back garage area and a loft upstairs. It could have been a residence too because it had an area that could easily be a bedroom suite with a full bath, and a full deluxe kitchen. I'll see if I can dig up pictures of it. They just wanted too much for it.

Edit: the 59 Commerce website is gone now.

Anyway, it looks like they're going to use Bamboo Ben design out of Huntingon Beach. No website, but they have a FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben/photos

Fun.

GRNow is stating that Dave & Busters is taking over the old Barnes and Noble on 28th st. It's not on their website but a Facebook post. Not sure if that's the most exciting location I'd true, but cool nonetheless.

I Would have rather they picked a downtown location.  I don't know, while 28th and the Beltline may have the highest traffic counts in the metro area, I don't love that B&N location.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...