Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill

dbrok

• 3 weeks later...

Welp...this isn't really the right thread for this, but it was as close as I could figure. It's not a restaurant, so maybe someone could help direct it to a better spot. 

It looks like Diversions on Fountain at Division will no longer be in that building. The story says that Kent County is doing a "space needs study," which has me wondering what exactly they're thinking/doing with that space/building. It'd be nice to see all that ground floor used for a more thoughtful purpose, but that is probably wishful thinking.

It'll also be interesting to see where the club goes, if anywhere. 

http://www.wzzm13.com/story/news/local/grand-rapids-central/2015/02/02/diversions-nightclub-loses-lease/22781991/

Welp...this isn't really the right thread for this, but it was as close as I could figure. It's not a restaurant, so maybe someone could help direct it to a better spot. 

It looks like Diversions on Fountain at Division will no longer be in that building. The story says that Kent County is doing a "space needs study," which has me wondering what exactly they're thinking/doing with that space/building. It'd be nice to see all that ground floor used for a more thoughtful purpose, but that is probably wishful thinking.

It'll also be interesting to see where the club goes, if anywhere. 

http://www.wzzm13.com/story/news/local/grand-rapids-central/2015/02/02/diversions-nightclub-loses-lease/22781991/

Pub 43 gone. Diversions gone. Coincidence...

Diversions didn't seem like it was doing too well, honestly.  They were big years ago, taking up two floors and constantly packed.  But as of at least a year ago they were no longer using the second floor and it was sitting empty, and even the 1st floor (basement) had maybe 10 people in it tops every time I visited.  Perhaps I wasn't there on the right nights but others I've spoken with expressed much the same.  I wouldn't be surprised if they closed, and I'd suspect just poor business as the reason before anything else.

As LGBT becomes more and more accepted, safe havens like Diversion aren't as necessary as they once were, and amongst those remaining, Apartment Lounge, Pub 43, and Rumours is where all the activity are (or were, in Pub 43's case.)

Edit: Shame on me for commenting before reading.  Looks like the lease termination is on the hands of the building owners.  Interesting.  I suppose it could still be a price negotiation as the reason, it's not specific enough, but interesting.  I do imagine Diversions will move into a smaller place though, if they do get a new location.

Edited by tSlater

• 2 weeks later...

Diversions didn't seem like it was doing too well, honestly.  They were big years ago, taking up two floors and constantly packed.  But as of at least a year ago they were no longer using the second floor and it was sitting empty, and even the 1st floor (basement) had maybe 10 people in it tops every time I visited.  Perhaps I wasn't there on the right nights but others I've spoken with expressed much the same.  I wouldn't be surprised if they closed, and I'd suspect just poor business as the reason before anything else.

As LGBT becomes more and more accepted, safe havens like Diversion aren't as necessary as they once were, and amongst those remaining, Apartment Lounge, Pub 43, and Rumours is where all the activity are (or were, in Pub 43's case.)

Edit: Shame on me for commenting before reading.  Looks like the lease termination is on the hands of the building owners.  Interesting.  I suppose it could still be a price negotiation as the reason, it's not specific enough, but interesting.  I do imagine Diversions will move into a smaller place though, if they do get a new location.

I never actually went into the space where Raggs used to be, but I think that spot is still available.  No idea how it compares to the current Diversions space, but it's not too far geographically from the current location. 

• 2 weeks later...

Whoa, is right! I was so confused if I was reading a church sponsored mission trip blog or a small business start up blog.

Yeah, this part is interesting. Do they think that perhaps they'll meet with people who aren't Christian? I would bet on it.

Please also pray for the people with whom I’m meeting. I’m doing a job and so are they. Therefore they require our prayers as well, that they may do their jobs the best they can and in the light of Christ’s will.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A tiki hut concept coming to 59 Commerce (that small building next to Stella's that has been for sale forever). I guess there are people who like Tiki restaurants?

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2014/09/hopcat_owner_mark_sellers_to_o.html#incart_river

Did this stall, or are they currently working on the building for a summer 2015 opening?  Forgot to look when I was in town.

• 3 weeks later...

The DDA agenda says that, "Luna" a Latin-American themed restaurant is seeking signage approval at 64 Ionia. That is the former Ritz Koney space. Is any work going on there right now?

Edited by Gorath