Jump to content

Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill


Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, twoshort said:

Mission BBQ is opening on E Beltline north of Knapp, where Bagger Daves was.

https://mission-bbq.com/

I ate at the new City BBQ on 28th near woodland last week. Very good!  But... what's with all the BBQ all of the sudden?

In bulk, brisket is $2-3 a pound, they can easily charge $15-20 a pound when cooked. Pork shoulder is $1 a pound, slap half a pound on white bread with some pickles and it is an $8 sandwich. Combine that with the counter service business model (i.e. no servers) and BBQ is about the only high(ish) margin restaurant business out there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The old Chili's near the Knapp Celebration Cinema will be turned into a Buddy's Pizza

So I was downtown the other night with a group of friends and we noticed that this space has signs in all the window for Korean BBQ and Korean Karaoke. For some people that might seem a little odd but

I'll try to get some pictures when I go, really excited for this to finally open.   Also, we got a bit on national press for it: https://punchdrink.com/articles/most-notable-best-new-bars-am

Posted Images

  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/18/2019 at 8:22 AM, mpchicago said:

Mark Sellers' Tiki Bar and Restaurant is set to open October 19th.  Third floor tiki-themed hotel rooms to open in 2020. 

https://www.grbj.com/articles/94293-downtown-tiki-bar-schedules-opening

https://maxstiki.com/

 

I'll try to get some pictures when I go, really excited for this to finally open.

 

Also, we got a bit on national press for it: https://punchdrink.com/articles/most-notable-best-new-bars-america-fall-winter-2019/

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/19/2019 at 8:24 PM, Winston1206 said:

Not really a “restaurant” necessarily, but wasn’t sure where else to post this. Anyone know more about Two James coming to GR? Just saw they are hiring in Grand Rapids

 

It's supposed to be inside of 7 Monks on Michigan St.. Good idea to help build additional traffic at that site and provide an added experience.

https://www.grbj.com/articles/94777-two-james-to-open-cocktail-bar-inside-7-monks-taproom

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, KCorner said:

It's supposed to be inside of 7 Monks on Michigan St.. Good idea to help build additional traffic at that site and provide an added experience.

https://www.grbj.com/articles/94777-two-james-to-open-cocktail-bar-inside-7-monks-taproom

Agreed. I liked the atmosphere (and the fried dill pickles) when I visited, but was worried it was struggling a bit. I'll definitely make a return visit once it Two James opens!

Joe

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Houlihan's in Breton Village suddenly closed yesterday. Their post mentioned bankruptcy (I am unfamiliar if the franchisee or the company as a whole). I thought that location generally did pretty well and seems like a great spot for something new.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, egrguy said:

Houlihan's in Breton Village suddenly closed yesterday. Their post mentioned bankruptcy (I am unfamiliar if the franchisee or the company as a whole). I thought that location generally did pretty well and seems like a great spot for something new.

Looks like it was one in a string of closings that all went down yesterday.  The parent company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in November.  This was the last one in Michigan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Winston1206 said:

Interesting development in Monroe North/Creston 

 

Never been to the location in West Olive, but excited to see Zoko move to Plainfield. 

 

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2020/01/sandy-point-beach-house-restaurant-coming-to-grand-rapids.html

Their food is tasty and the service is great, that being said the name is a bit misleading. It's neither in a sandy location or on the beach but has a decidedly beach-y vibe. I'm not sure how that will translate to the Monroe North neighborhood. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, BLUESCRUBS said:

The Cottage Bar is for sale. I really hope who would buy these places would not change anything.  Mike Wallace used to call in his reports the the Cottage Bar.

 https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2020/02/the-cottage-bar-one-of-grand-rapids-oldest-restaurants-is-being-sold.html

I can't seem to find a listing anywhere, curious to see what they want for it. In a dream world, if I were to buy them I would keep the concepts the same and maybe just tweak the food a bit (I think I could improve upon the burgers at Cottage).

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BLUESCRUBS said:

The Cottage Bar is for sale. I really hope who would buy these places would not change anything.  Mike Wallace used to call in his reports the the Cottage Bar.

 https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2020/02/the-cottage-bar-one-of-grand-rapids-oldest-restaurants-is-being-sold.html

Nice longer story in GRBJ (if you haven't used up all your free clicks this month):

GRBJ: owner selling cottage bar

Kind of doubt the Al Capone GRBJ story.  Seems like they say that about every old bar in Michigan and Wisconsin.  The Mike Wallace story is probably true.  Wallace worked for WOOD radio, I think they were in the McKay Tower back then.  Since it was a block from the old Grand Rapids Press and Grand Rapids Herald buildings, it was the hang-out neighborhood bar for the newsmen.  And back when Civic Theater performed at  St. Cecilia Auditorium it was a hang-out for the local theater crowd.  Even when the theater and the Press moved and the Herald went out of business, it continued on as a meeting place for both of them.  Don't know if it is anymore or not. 

Personally I've got plenty of memories from this place, but then who doesn't.    

Edited by walker
Link to post
Share on other sites

I know that it was a newsman hangout. My grandpa worked for many years for the Press in both the old and new( now old and demolished) buildings, he never drank but he was about the only guy who didn’t  make multiple trips a week to the Cottage Bar according to him. 

Hopefully its legacy continues on for many years. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, walker said:

Nice longer story in GRBJ (if you haven't used up all your free clicks this month):

GRBJ: owner selling cottage bar

Kind of doubt the Al Capone GRBJ story.  Seems like they say that about every old bar in Michigan and Wisconsin.  The Mike Wallace story is probably true.  Wallace worked for WOOD radio, I think they were in the McKay Tower back then.  Since it was a block from the old Grand Rapids Press and Grand Rapids Herald buildings, it was the hang-out neighborhood bar for the newsmen.  And back when Civic Theater performed at  St. Cecilia Auditorium it was a hang-out for the local theater crowd.  Even when the theater and the Press moved and the Herald went out of business, it continued on as a meeting place for both of them.  Don't know if it is anymore or not. 

Personally I've got plenty of memories from this place, but then who doesn't.    

I have a few friends in the theater community and they were all posting about it, so I would assume it is still a theater hang out.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.