Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill

dbrok

Excluding those mentioned above, here are two prominent restaurants that havent said anything since the crisis.  They might be fine, they might not be.  Any others?

Wheelhouse (facebook and Instagram deleted)

Forty Acres

On 6/13/2020 at 8:12 AM, GRain said:

Excluding those mentioned above, here are two prominent restaurants that havent said anything since the crisis.  They might be fine, they might not be.  Any others?

Wheelhouse (facebook and Instagram deleted)

Forty Acres

I have questions about Wheelhouse. I walk by it every day and it’s all cleaned up/cleaned out though there is a ton of furniture stacked up in there...so curious. 

2 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

I have questions about Wheelhouse. I walk by it every day and it’s all cleaned up/cleaned out though there is a ton of furniture stacked up in there...so curious. 

I saw that last week. Almost looks like some sort of renovations but it's only a few years old. Definitely curious. 

1 hour ago, Raildude's dad said:

I saw a sign yesterday "coming soon - Madgrub" in the old Red Ball Cafe. FB page doesn't share much info

Unfortunately, that space has said 'Coming Soon : Madgrub' for about  nine months with no activity at the space or their online presence.  Seems like it's not going to happen. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2020 at 10:49 AM, ctpgr34 said:

Regarding Creston Brewery, rumor is Saugatuck Brewing has bought it

I've heard that everywhere, but still haven't seen anything official. The posted on their Facebook not that long ago to dispell some rumors, but not this one. Would be great to hear something. 

17 hours ago, Winston1206 said:

I've heard that everywhere, but still haven't seen anything official. The posted on their Facebook not that long ago to dispell some rumors, but not this one. Would be great to hear something. 

There were moving trucks at Creston on Wednesday....

4 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

Ugh. This period of history is going to ravish downtown a bit. I also just learned that Wheelhouse closed officially. 

(

Yes, agree.

Random thoughts looking South of Fulton:

Studio Park & the Tavern there are likely burning through all sorts of funds (but they probably have access to significant cash to hold them over), Luna was probably doing better with their take out than the costs of operating now at 50%, New Hotel Mertens should be ok for a few months with the rooftop after that they'll be in the same boat as the others but they'll also have 9th Street which has established itself quickly & should do well in the winter, Pyramid seems to be in a tough position, Lantern reopens next week and hopefully can operate in a low-cost manner to make the lower volume work, Stellas/Hopcat should do fine but a shadow of what they used to be when they could fill it up, Divani's owner made some public comments about how she doesnt really run it as a business and that she doesnt need the money-- so they'll be ok apparently.

I dont think we've seen the worst of it. I imagine that will come in the winter when there is no outdoor dining. Unless there's some cure/vaccine. I liked Max's, but not enough for me to personally go back,  but I thought it was a great addition for DT.

On 7/3/2020 at 12:22 PM, ctpgr34 said:

There were moving trucks at Creston on Wednesday....

Oh snap! That sounds sort of serious. 

This bit probably belongs in the beer thread but is also food based; Greyline has closed their kitchen but is now canning one of their summer beers. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wheelhouse was mentioned above as re-conceptualizing.  Here we have New Hotel Mertens who has had its rooftop and corner open since June; and is now shuffling the deck a bit before opening its regular restaurant back-up  in a couple of months:

1) deletes the words "New Hotel" from its names, which I always liked.  But I get it (begrudgingly).  

2) moves toward a French steakhouse approach, while still keeping its bistro-center.  I liked it as it was, but again I get it.  French is a difficult sell here, so make it a little more approachable for the meat & potato crowd.

3) For its corner spot: in the AM a focus on beignets & cafe au lait and presumably PM/late-night on frites & poutine.  While I can sort of tolerate the other changes, these two changes Im actually very  excited about.  They'll probably nail both of these (beignets & poutine), which, when done right, can be awesome.  I understand why GRBJ is focusing on the name change, but this  last one is what really grabbed my attention.

https://grbj.com/news/food-service-agriculture/mertens-hospitality-renames-three-concepts/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, egrguy said:

https://grbj.com/news/food-service-agriculture/kingfisher-restaurant-and-deli-closes-doors/

They had a solid breakfast, however, That Early Bird is now open for dinner. Maybe they are transitioning more stuff there.

Good thing it was empty!

https://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/car-crashes-into-gr-building-after-hitting-another-car/