Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill

dbrok

• 2 months later...

2 hours ago, grandrollerz said:

Anyone know anything about terra Bagels on Lake Drive? They have Pumpernickel and salt Bagels so I'm calling them legit

Also there's a new pizza place called quarantinos !? Detroit style pizza apparently. 

Quarantinos is owned by the little bird people. Not had it myself, but friends have said it is good. 

On 11/1/2020 at 7:17 AM, grandrollerz said:

Anyone know anything about terra Bagels on Lake Drive? They have Pumpernickel and salt Bagels so I'm calling them legit

Also there's a new pizza place called quarantinos !? Detroit style pizza apparently. 

I've been to Terra Bagels multiple times and enjoy it quite a bit.

Also heard that Max's declared bankruptcy.

51 minutes ago, egrguy said:

Also heard that Max's declared bankruptcy.

As in Max's South Seas?  I've been meaning to go there...I did walk around there not too long ago and it was pretty amazing.  Hope they find a way out of it and survive - that's a pretty amazing buildout and decor to just shut down.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2020 at 9:53 PM, egrguy said:

Grand Rapids tiki bar owner files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy

Bummed that its true. I thought it was a fun place. Hopefully, this process allows it to have a future. However, the next 6 months are probably going to be the worst for the restaurant industry.

I'm hoping this gives them a bit of protection and runway to pop out the other side. I love Max's. We've had takeout 3-4 times, but I'm sure that doesn't do much as I'm sure the bar was expected to be a huge source of revenue (the canned tiki drinks are fantastic though. I'd highly recommend them). 

Joe

• Like 2

1307977846_BEERCITYROCKFORD1.thumb.jpg.e812c0a491eb990c3aee8d00fc54a762.jpg

Was walking on the White Pine Trail through Rockford today and saw this new notice posted on the take-out window of Beer City Bread Company (formerly Arnie's.)  Their dining room has been closed all along so it's hard to imagine that a take-out window itself needs to close for remodeling.  Just my guess but now that the cooler weather is here likely there is not enough walk-up business to make take-out pay.   They don't have a drive-through.   

• 1 month later...

I continue to be amazed at the innovation coming out of this pandemic.  (couldn't find the farther afield thread)

https://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/2020/12/moving-container-pods-turned-into-makeshift-private-dining-rooms-at-kalamazoo-restaurants.html

I had to travel recently for medical reasons and seeing things like bathrooms with a countdown clock on them saying "last cleaned at 2pm, 13 minutes until next cleaning". I really like knowing how freshly cleaned the bathroom was/is.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 7/8/2021 at 9:55 AM, walker said:

Amazing chili dog record, especially considering how fast she did it:

WOODTV: woman-sets-record-at-rockford-corner-bar-eats-50-chili-dogs

I think the most I've topped out at is two, and in my old age no more than one and I can often taste it for a couple of days.  But they are good.

Same woman:

WOODTV: woman-eats-7-lb-burrito-in-less-than-8-minutes-in-ionia

• 1 month later...

Cherry Deli closing.  From their Facebook page:

We are sad to share that Cherry Deli will be closing after 17 years of business. The deli was one of the first businesses to locate on the now revitalized Cherry Street. “I wanted to open a business that would be a main-stay for the neighborhood and provide great food,” said Chef Scott Schulz, the genius behind the sandwiches. Unfortunately, Chef Scott was in a debilitating car accident last October. His children, Jacob and Madeline, powered through and kept the deli open through Covid. They will now be attending college this Fall. We love our customers that have supported us through the years. For the foreseeable future, our two sister delis - Two Beards Deli at 38 Commerce SW and West Side Deli in the Bridge Street Market - will continue to remain open. Thank you all for the years of love and support that we have seen from the community. Cherry Deli’s last day will be Friday, September 10th.

All outstanding gift certificates/punch cards will be honored at TwoBeards or West Side deli.

Cherry deli will also be closed this Saturday 8/28 due to lack of staff unfortunately, we will be open 11am-3pm on Sunday!

.facebook.com - Cherry Deli

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, egrguy said:

https://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/downtown-grand-rapids-osteria-rossa-announces-closure/

Osteria Rossi closing on New Year's Eve for good.  I only visited once, enjoyed it, and wanted to return, but with covid, didn't really get a second opportunity. 

I too only went once, years ago. Thought the food was great and they did a nice job on the renovation. But strangely never went back. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I too only went once, years ago. Thought the food was great and they did a nice job on the renovation. But strangely never went back. 

It was REALLY good, but same. Went twice, loved everything about it, but forgot about it. I was even disappointed when I read the story. Needed some marketing help. 

Anyone been to Social Misfits yet? If so, how’s the food. It looks like the most instagram able restaurant in GR. Bet it does well. 

Joe

10 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

It was REALLY good, but same. Went twice, loved everything about it, but forgot about it. I was even disappointed when I read the story. Needed some marketing help. 

Anyone been to Social Misfits yet? If so, how’s the food. It looks like the most instagram able restaurant in GR. Bet it does well. 

Joe

I went earlier this week with a group. The sweet options outperformed the savory waffle options during breakfast. I'd return again, it definitely has a great vibe. I hope it succeeds 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, egrguy said:

Former Shiraz Grille to become Michigan’s first Mr. and Mrs. Crab

Interesting this is the first Michigan location and only the second outside of Florida. Interesting we had three new seafood restaurants (Real Seafood Co, Beacn and this one). Seafood boom?

Not quite the same, but Saucy Crab and Yummy Crab also opened recently in the suburbs.