dbrok

Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill

Anyone know anything about terra Bagels on Lake Drive? They have Pumpernickel and salt Bagels so I'm calling them legit

Also there's a new pizza place called quarantinos !? Detroit style pizza apparently. 

2 hours ago, grandrollerz said:

Anyone know anything about terra Bagels on Lake Drive? They have Pumpernickel and salt Bagels so I'm calling them legit

Also there's a new pizza place called quarantinos !? Detroit style pizza apparently. 

Quarantinos is owned by the little bird people. Not had it myself, but friends have said it is good. 

On 11/1/2020 at 7:17 AM, grandrollerz said:

I've been to Terra Bagels multiple times and enjoy it quite a bit.

Also heard that Max's declared bankruptcy.

51 minutes ago, egrguy said:

Also heard that Max's declared bankruptcy.

As in Max's South Seas?  I've been meaning to go there...I did walk around there not too long ago and it was pretty amazing.  Hope they find a way out of it and survive - that's a pretty amazing buildout and decor to just shut down.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2020 at 9:53 PM, egrguy said:

Grand Rapids tiki bar owner files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy

Bummed that its true. I thought it was a fun place. Hopefully, this process allows it to have a future. However, the next 6 months are probably going to be the worst for the restaurant industry.

I'm hoping this gives them a bit of protection and runway to pop out the other side. I love Max's. We've had takeout 3-4 times, but I'm sure that doesn't do much as I'm sure the bar was expected to be a huge source of revenue (the canned tiki drinks are fantastic though. I'd highly recommend them). 

Joe

• Like 2

1307977846_BEERCITYROCKFORD1.thumb.jpg.e812c0a491eb990c3aee8d00fc54a762.jpg

Was walking on the White Pine Trail through Rockford today and saw this new notice posted on the take-out window of Beer City Bread Company (formerly Arnie's.)  Their dining room has been closed all along so it's hard to imagine that a take-out window itself needs to close for remodeling.  Just my guess but now that the cooler weather is here likely there is not enough walk-up business to make take-out pay.   They don't have a drive-through.   

I continue to be amazed at the innovation coming out of this pandemic.  (couldn't find the farther afield thread)

https://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/2020/12/moving-container-pods-turned-into-makeshift-private-dining-rooms-at-kalamazoo-restaurants.html

I had to travel recently for medical reasons and seeing things like bathrooms with a countdown clock on them saying "last cleaned at 2pm, 13 minutes until next cleaning". I really like knowing how freshly cleaned the bathroom was/is.

Some of their beer bread offerings at Meijer (which I buy when I make soup) are pretty good. I think that's a nice move for both companies.