Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill

dbrok

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, GrSportsGuy said:

That article doesn't even say where it will be. A shit 400 store taco chain opening a store here in West Michigan? Wins best non-story of non-stories. 

That was not a knock on you GRSportsGuy. Just can't believe that publications regurgitate press releases and treat it as news. 

Oh, here's the floorplan for Barrio, for those interested. It'll be cool to have an outdoor seating area on the corner of that building. 

852206068_BarrioGrandRapids.thumb.jpg.188e59e6bb745ec4da5d846f8d4a267e.jpg

The one thing that makes it newsworthy is that Meritage is the largest private franchisee of Wendy's restaurants and does quite well. I think the fact that there could be a couple of these fast food taco joints is moot. The bigger news story is that Meritage is probably trying to replicate what they did with Wendy's with Taco Johns. If they build 50, and expand to 200, that probably brings a decent number of jobs to their downtown HQ. So I think it's a good news story (from the corporate, Meritage perspective). 

Joe

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joeDowntown said:

The one thing that makes it newsworthy is that Meritage is the largest private franchisee of Wendy's restaurants and does quite well. I think the fact that there could be a couple of these fast food taco joints is moot. The bigger news story is that Meritage is probably trying to replicate what they did with Wendy's with Taco Johns. If they build 50, and expand to 200, that probably brings a decent number of jobs to their downtown HQ. So I think it's a good news story (from the corporate, Meritage perspective). 

Joe

I would agree with that aspect. 

18 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

That article doesn't even say where it will be. A crap 400 store taco chain opening a store here in West Michigan? Wins best non-story of non-stories. 

That was not a knock on you GRSportsGuy. Just can't believe that publications regurgitate press releases and treat it as news. 

Oh, here's the floorplan for Barrio, for those interested. It'll be cool to have an outdoor seating area on the corner of that building. 

852206068_BarrioGrandRapids.thumb.jpg.188e59e6bb745ec4da5d846f8d4a267e.jpg

I get it

• 2 weeks later...

Don't think anyone else has reported this, there's a new sign on an old restaurant.

Old sign:

317969402_OneTrickPony.png.b26e521c702763122481f774f0b738dc.png

New sign:

1389960516_LosPotrillosSign.png.31bc3c52379171a18fb2cfd44d89afd3.png

So the old sign has a picture of a single pony and says One Trick Pony Grill and Tap Room.  The new sign has a whole herd of horses and says Los Potrillos Mexican Bar and Grill, Authentic Mexican Food.  Los Potrillos translates from Spanish as The Foals. 

There are also new advertising signs running along the bottom of the windows naming various Mexican entrées:

1023510787_LosPotrillos.thumb.png.98ece9e5dd09fe32428c8521e791e5eb.png

Looks like the restaurant is still being remodeled and it isn't opened yet.  Didn't someone recently say we needed more Mexican restaurants here?

Found this local LLC with the name Los Potrillos, don't know if it's connected to this establishment or not:

BIZAPEDIA: los-potrillos-llc

Edited by walker
better new photo and corresponding updated narrative
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Interesting news at the 25/35 Michigan Spectrum Health/HDVCH Food Court.  The Smashburger has finally been replaced by....Le Kebob!   https://goo.gl/maps/zhfYaesFhAFcF3fM6   The hours are pretty good, 10am to 8pm Mon-Sat, 10-7 on Sundays....and as long as the food is the same quality as there other locations, this is going to be a win for the employees of Medical Mile.   Just learned this today so probably going to check it out this week. I hope they have one of those wood fired ovens for the fresh bread.....

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Andy Rosario, the owner of the Mexican restaurant in Rogers Plaza, has bought the old Chinatown restaurant building on 28th Street.  He plans to open it after extensive remodeling as a new concept Latino restaurant.  Article says he got a good deal on the building.  It's not where I'd put my money for a new restaurant but I'm not in that business and he's made a go of it in a mostly empty low rent Rogers Plaza so maybe he knows what he's doing. 

warning - WOOD is apparently updating their website to bring in a little more money and you might have trouble navigating around their pop-up ads.

WOODTV: new-plans-for-former-28th-st-chinatown-restaurant

5 hours ago, HavingAhoot said:

I'm ALWAYS complaining about how the NE side needs/could use  more tacos

You guys have Taco Bell On Michigan, the greatest of all taco places in the universe.

On 5/5/2022 at 1:10 PM, HavingAhoot said:

I'm ALWAYS complaining about how the NE side needs/could use  more tacos

El Agave is way up the NE side (near the Score on Northland Drive) but their food and service is good. Over 100 tequilas on the menu. 

16 hours ago, walker said:

First baby formula and now tacos.  Apparently the demand is still greater than the supply:

WOODTV: taco-borracho-temporarily-closes-after-overwhelming-demand

I didn't realize the owner is a guy that has attempted to build several develops in Belknap. Not sure if any of his came to fruition?