Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill

dbrok

4 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I didn't realize the owner is a guy that has attempted to build several develops in Belknap. Not sure if any of his came to fruition? 

I don’t think they did. I liked some of his ideas though. 

speaking of taco joints, the sign is up at Barrio. It’s a very cool day of the dead inspired skull. I like it. 

On 5/13/2022 at 9:28 AM, GRDadof3 said:

I didn't realize the owner is a guy that has attempted to build several develops in Belknap. Not sure if any of his came to fruition? 

As far as I know he does own a few places on Belknap. (Source is a friend of mine who is friends with Angel)

This is outside of Z’s tonight, I personally GM a bar / restaurant downtown and I can’t put it into better perspective than this of how much we need our establishments staffed. Covid 100% ruined nightlife in Grand Rapids, this is proof of it, everyone in this line with me are out of town people here for a convention. This city is 100% embarrassing itself, it’s Tuesday night, not Friday. 

52CB3676-CE78-433C-9EA2-5AFCF2DB366A.jpeg

Edited by TheLonesomeHobo
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, TheLonesomeHobo said:

This is outside of Z’s tonight, I personally GM a bar / restaurant downtown and I can’t put it into better perspective than this of how much we need our establishments staffed. Covid 100% ruined nightlife in Grand Rapids, this is proof of it, everyone in this line with me are out of town people here for a convention. This city is 100% embarrassing itself, it’s Tuesday night, not Friday. 

I wouldn't say Grand Rapids is "embarrassing" itself. Staffing issues are a nationwide problem. What exactly are restaurants supposed to do?

We just got back from 3 days in NYC and I couldn't believe all of the permanently closed restaurants in the block around our hotel, including the restaurant IN our hotel. Closed.  

In fact, Monday nights seem to be the night that many of the local restaurants here are closed for dinner service. Don't plan on going out to eat on Monday nights for a while.

And who the heck would stand in line for Z's. :rofl:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I wouldn't say Grand Rapids is "embarrassing" itself. Staffing issues are a nationwide problem. What exactly are restaurants supposed to do?

We just got back from 3 days in NYC and I couldn't believe all of the permanently closed restaurants in the block around our hotel, including the restaurant IN our hotel. Closed.  

In fact, Monday nights seem to be the night that many of the local restaurants here are closed for dinner service. Don't plan on going out to eat on Monday nights for a while.

And who the heck would stand in line for Z's. :rofl:

I noticed a lot of closures in the Chicago Loop as well. And Downtown Lansing has been absolutely gutted (Old Town and the Ballpark area are OK, but Washington Street...yikes). 

GR actually seems to have made it through Covid with less restaurant/nightlife damage than many places.

I think the key to downtown nightlife/restaurant scenes surviving the last few years is residential populations. That's allowed Downtown Detroit to stay surprising vibrant despite GM/Rocket/Blue Cross still being largely work-from-home, and I think GR benefits from that as well. 

• Like 1

I stayed in DT Spokane a couple of weekends ago... there's more people in that one photo than I saw outside of buildings over an entire weekend. Not sure what your comparing GR too, but I feel like it's doing relatively well.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/17/2022 at 11:26 PM, TheLonesomeHobo said:

Pay more,  It's really that simple.  No one wants to work for slave wages in a high stress environment.  It's basic economics. You're the one who's embarrassing..  Go serve those tables for $3.67/hr mr. gm.

On 5/18/2022 at 7:41 AM, GRDadof3 said:

I the heck would stand in line for Z's. :rofl:

out of towers who don't know any better :)

it's ok for what it is..... and close

New pizza restaurant in Eastown run by the Ucello family. Unlike most of the other new restaurants lately, what's notable about this one is that it won't be serving tacos (however Tamales Mary right next door does.) 

WOODTV: opening-monday-francas-brings-taste-of-sicily-to-gr

EDIT: OK, here's another new restaurant that's planning to open soon and it doesn't look like they will be serving tacos either:

WOODTV: a-dream-come-true-in-gr-inside-monsoon-vietnamese-cuisine

Edited by walker
to add another new restaurant
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

20220602_085009(2)-01.thumb.jpeg.b7ba71c664561e01188e89e134527330.jpeg

This morning I saw that a new place is set to open at the former Rinaldis Pizza (966 E. Fulton St).

The name is "Black Napkin", and I have no idea what the food will be (info is a bit hard to find), but it looks to be a takeout only establishment.

I do love their logo, though! 

I just wish the landlord had made an effort to get rid of, or greatly improve, that boarded-up facade that it will be in.

Edited by GR_Urbanist

47 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

This morning I saw that a new place is set to open at the former Rinaldis Pizza (966 E. Fulton St).

The name is "Black Napkin", and I have no idea what the food will be (info is a bit hard to find), but it looks to be a takeout only establishment.

I just wish the landlord had made an effort to get rid of, or greatly improve, that boarded-up facade that it will be in.

It is owned by the people that own Any Color You Like. The popsicle place. 

They posted about it on Instagram a while ago https://www.instagram.com/p/CU-pcAMLjwh/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

48 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

It will be flat top/fried foods. To go exclusively I think. I think they are working on a mural in the east wall too. (friend of a friend)

7 hours ago, cstonesparty said:

Anyone have any insight as to what's ACTUALLY going on with the Arnies/Beer City restaurants other than Centerpointe?  They all say closed for renovation.  But I think it's fairly clear that's not really the case.

It's been the same with the Leonard location.

9 hours ago, Winston1206 said:

It looks like Royals is at least temporarily closing for a "reconcepting"

https://www.instagram.com/p/CehSA36L7fg/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I hope someone can understand that weird post of theirs, because it just sounds like slo-mo "going out of business" announcement.

Like why close down for the summer to "retool" or whatever, when this is the time of year to really take advantage of the type of space you have? You neighbors across the street have so much business they have to expand the place, but you are shutting down "temporarily" to do *something* they really dont explain clearly.

Maybe I'm reading too deep into it? Anyway, this is something Wealthy St. Didnt need right now with some places on the street closing or closed like Elk Brewing, and the old Tatum building still a fenced-off pile of debris.

1 hour ago, GR_Urbanist said:

I hope someone can understand that weird post of theirs, because it just sounds like slo-mo "going out of business" announcement.

Like why close down for the summer to "retool" or whatever, when this is the time of year to really take advantage of the type of space you have? You neighbors across the street have so much business they have to expand the place, but you are shutting down "temporarily" to do *something* they really dont explain clearly.

Maybe I'm reading too deep into it? Anyway, this is something Wealthy St. Didnt need right now with some places on the street closing or closed like Elk Brewing, and the old Tatum building still a fenced-off pile of debris.

Are you referring to Donkey expanding? Because it's owned by the same group (Paul Lee et al). 

We were there a few weeks ago it wasn't bad. It's a really cool space, one of my favorites on Wealthy. Especially when the garages are open. 

4 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

I know Jonny B, who started that restaurant before they bought it and then subsequently started messing with the concept...  That group seems to be trying to figure out how to increase the per-transaction $$ from the original concepts, and haven't been able to get the concept and financials in line together.  They've got tons of experience in that neighborhood and restaurants in general, so they'll eventually hone it to what they want.  Not going out of business imho...

5 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

When you own 4 restaurants you have the luxury of temporarily closing the worst performing one to re-invent it. They have 3 other patios on Wealthy street and it also could be a good move to up the staff at the other 3 for the busy months with the current Royals employees.

On 5/13/2022 at 2:13 PM, joeDowntown said:

speaking of taco joints, the sign is up at Barrio. It’s a very cool day of the dead inspired skull. I like it. 

We always need more tacos!  I really like the location of this. Feels like an under used downtown street that this could bring some life to. Certainly will get good arena foot traffic right out of the parking ramp, lol.

https://grbj.com/news/food-service-agriculture/barrio-tacos-hosting-grand-opening/?_hsmi=216619546&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--m8Ig07Z4gWYi_hBacnN8peb9Mv-Sao0jl5s7aQCT9EQNvhj4RPcIRw0Q2ia-r3emO6tSR8kKhpZksFOc2QYYZWgw39Q

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grandrollerz said:

We always need more tacos!  I really like the location of this. Feels like an under used downtown street that this could bring some life to. Certainly will get good arena foot traffic right out of the parking ramp, lol.

https://grbj.com/news/food-service-agriculture/barrio-tacos-hosting-grand-opening/?_hsmi=216619546&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--m8Ig07Z4gWYi_hBacnN8peb9Mv-Sao0jl5s7aQCT9EQNvhj4RPcIRw0Q2ia-r3emO6tSR8kKhpZksFOc2QYYZWgw39Q

Looking forward to checking that out.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't say my wife and I were in any way regular patrons but we decided to stop by for lunch today at the Grand Villa on Chicago Drive for wet burritos.  The parking lot was empty and the electronic sign out front said CLOSED and there was a handwritten sign on the door saying "Closed Today."  According to their Facebook page they had announced they were going to close at the end of the month and their latest entry dated June 14 said they were closed that day due to heat and would re-open in a couple of days.  Appears maybe they threw in the towel and never re-opened.

It's one of the restaurants that have been around for like what seems forever.

FACEBOOK: Grand Villa Restaurants

134728755_GrandVillaClosed.jpg.e76903b2614273db069be2664d885962.jpg    

Edited by walker