Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill

dbrok

14 hours ago, walker said:

Can't say my wife and I were in any way regular patrons but we decided to stop by for lunch today at the Grand Villa on Chicago Drive for wet burritos.  The parking lot was empty and the electronic sign out front said CLOSED and there was a handwritten sign on the door saying "Closed Today."  According to their Facebook page they had announced they were going to close at the end of the month and their latest entry dated June 14 said they were closed that day due to heat and would re-open in a couple of days.  Appears maybe they threw in the towel and never re-opened.

It's one of the restaurants that have been around for like what seems forever.

FACEBOOK: Grand Villa Restaurants

134728755_GrandVillaClosed.jpg.e76903b2614273db069be2664d885962.jpg    

We went there once when we first moved here in 1995 because everyone talked about the Dungeon. We weren't quite sure what the hubbub was after going there (once). :)

• 1 month later...

On 6/7/2022 at 7:36 PM, Winston1206 said:

It looks like Royals is at least temporarily closing for a "reconcepting"

https://www.instagram.com/p/CehSA36L7fg/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Looks like their new concept will involve pizza, but not much else is known. Only info has been them slowing releasing pieces of a "coming soon" photo on their FB and Instagram.

The photo gives me big Park and Field vibes. For those that haven't been, it is a bar/restaurantin Chicago that has a vintage sports theme with a huge outdoor space. 

Edited by Pattmost20

1 hour ago, Pattmost20 said:

Looks like their new concept will involve pizza, but not much else is known. Only info has been them slowing releasing pieces of a "coming soon" photo on their FB and Instagram.

The photo gives me big Park and Field vibes. For those that haven't been, it is a bar/restaurantin Chicago that has a vintage sports theme with a huge outdoor space. 

I remember the original concept for Royals had a lot of outdoor games, including pool played with soccer balls. I'd love to see something like that happen.

Joe

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

Was at Donkey last night and our server said it's going to be a "sports bar" with outdoor games. 

23 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Was at Donkey last night and our server said it's going to be a "sports bar" with outdoor games. 

It will be interesting if they go the way of a more modern sports bar or if they do end up being influenced by Park and Field and use a more Retro, collegiate theme in their decor. 

2 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

It will be interesting if they go the way of a more modern sports bar or if they do end up being influenced by Park and Field and use a more Retro, collegiate theme in their decor. 

"Sports bar" doesn't have the greatest connotation to me but maybe it will turn out cool. I can't help but think of Peppino's or Uccello's.