Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill

dbrok

14 hours ago, walker said:

Can't say my wife and I were in any way regular patrons but we decided to stop by for lunch today at the Grand Villa on Chicago Drive for wet burritos.  The parking lot was empty and the electronic sign out front said CLOSED and there was a handwritten sign on the door saying "Closed Today."  According to their Facebook page they had announced they were going to close at the end of the month and their latest entry dated June 14 said they were closed that day due to heat and would re-open in a couple of days.  Appears maybe they threw in the towel and never re-opened.

It's one of the restaurants that have been around for like what seems forever.

FACEBOOK: Grand Villa Restaurants

134728755_GrandVillaClosed.jpg.e76903b2614273db069be2664d885962.jpg    

We went there once when we first moved here in 1995 because everyone talked about the Dungeon. We weren't quite sure what the hubbub was after going there (once). :)

• 1 month later...

On 6/7/2022 at 7:36 PM, Winston1206 said:

It looks like Royals is at least temporarily closing for a "reconcepting"

https://www.instagram.com/p/CehSA36L7fg/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Looks like their new concept will involve pizza, but not much else is known. Only info has been them slowing releasing pieces of a "coming soon" photo on their FB and Instagram.

The photo gives me big Park and Field vibes. For those that haven't been, it is a bar/restaurantin Chicago that has a vintage sports theme with a huge outdoor space. 

Edited by Pattmost20

1 hour ago, Pattmost20 said:

Looks like their new concept will involve pizza, but not much else is known. Only info has been them slowing releasing pieces of a "coming soon" photo on their FB and Instagram.

The photo gives me big Park and Field vibes. For those that haven't been, it is a bar/restaurantin Chicago that has a vintage sports theme with a huge outdoor space. 

I remember the original concept for Royals had a lot of outdoor games, including pool played with soccer balls. I'd love to see something like that happen.

Joe

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

Was at Donkey last night and our server said it's going to be a "sports bar" with outdoor games. 

23 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Was at Donkey last night and our server said it's going to be a "sports bar" with outdoor games. 

It will be interesting if they go the way of a more modern sports bar or if they do end up being influenced by Park and Field and use a more Retro, collegiate theme in their decor. 

2 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

It will be interesting if they go the way of a more modern sports bar or if they do end up being influenced by Park and Field and use a more Retro, collegiate theme in their decor. 

"Sports bar" doesn't have the greatest connotation to me but maybe it will turn out cool. I can't help but think of Peppino's or Uccello's. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2022 at 9:09 AM, GRDadof3 said:

In poking around the development site at the city, I see that Condado Tacos is taking over the Omelette Shoppe in Breton Village. 2nd location for GR then. 

Condado is actually going back next to DWR. Some changes are in the works for the old Omelette Shoppe facade however. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Seems like a good location for a Morning Belle. I remember Omelette Shoppe being very busy for years. I think Covid knocked them out (is the location on Michigan Street still open)?

I ate at the Michigan street location last week and there were only three tables occupied at 8 a.m.  Doesn't bode well.

4 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Seems like a good location for a Morning Belle. I remember Omelette Shoppe being very busy for years. I think Covid knocked them out (is the location on Michigan Street still open)?

Breton Village site plan shows a Morning Belle in the same strip as Bobcat Bonnies.   My assumption is they have signed a lease?  :dontknow:

https://www.cwdrealestate.com/great-spaces/breton-village

4 hours ago, cstonesparty said:

I ate at the Michigan street location last week and there were only three tables occupied at 8 a.m.  Doesn't bode well.

I haven't been there in a few years. Parking is weird. And it's a modern building on the outside but looks like Mel's diner. I like to go out to breakfast but I always forget about that place. 

5 hours ago, numstead said:

Yes, Morning Belle is going in by Bobcat Bonnies. Under construction now.

Serious? I guess a broken clock is right twice a day. I was wildly speculating that Breton Village would be a good place for Morning Belle. 

im going to go take a victory lap around the block. LOL

• Like 1

9 hours ago, walker said:

Osgood Brewing in Grandville is closing.  From what they say, it sounds like the all too common restaurant staffing issues triggered their decision to close:

WOODTV: we knew it was time - Osgood brewing closing in Grandville   

Yeah, I'm acquaintances with one of the owners and they've been struggling for a couple of years. 

I have a hard time believing staffing is ever the MAIN reason a restaurant or bar closes. It may be the nail in the coffin, but I imagine bad location, bad product, under capitalized (or oversaturated market) is the more likely cause (not speaking specifically about Osgood; I'd dare say marketing was an issue as this is the first time I've heard of it, and only because it is closing)

Joe.

• Like 2

On 9/2/2022 at 11:45 AM, joeDowntown said:

I have a hard time believing staffing is ever the MAIN reason a restaurant or bar closes. It may be the nail in the coffin, but I imagine bad location, bad product, under capitalized (or oversaturated market) is the more likely cause (not speaking specifically about Osgood; I'd dare say marketing was an issue as this is the first time I've heard of it, and only because it is closing)

Joe.

Yes if you have good enough product/marketing/location then demand will be there, if its there then you can charge a premium if you can do that and create a fun environment/good employee benefits, people will want to work there and/or you can afford to pay them more.

Downtown Grandville has a lot of potential but I dont think theres critical mass there again yet. If there were a few more places to feed off each other and there could be a little better streetscaping/planning/parking to go along with it, this would be a type of business that could do well there. Also if there were ever the Holland-Zeeland-Hudsonville/Jenison/Grandville-Grand Rapids commuter train, these areas near the stations such as downtown Grandville would be perfect for brewery/bar/coffee shop places  

• Like 1

Harmony Hall seems like it’s in a weird position. The statement is that they outgrew the production space and are moving that to I assume a more industrial site. As well as adding distribution to retail store. Which bodes well for the company overall. Maybe they just couldn’t justify the whole building for a beer hall? Did they expand it after Little Mexico?  That restaurant seemed to do well, but maybe after the fire reconstruction it was too much for them in a constantly changing marketplace. Maybe this is more of a refocusing on the Harmonies values and vision and they will open another pub down the line?