Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill

dbrok

2 hours ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

Not sure if anyone noticed, but a taste of Cairo in downtown on Ottawa is already closed. They opened in early June. A "for lease" sign is in the window

Didn't even know that was a thing. I'm usually pretty up to date on restaurant openings, bummed I missed this one. 

2 hours ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

Of course they do. All the media outlets do. When they're all sitting around the editorial table, there's one person who is assigned to sites like UrbanPlanet to try and pick up any scrap filler articles (or maybe a big hit article like the soccer complex). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Of course they do. All the media outlets do. When they're all sitting around the editorial table, there's one person who is assigned to sites like UrbanPlanet to try and pick up any scrap filler articles (or maybe a big hit article like the soccer complex). 

Fine, but how about some credit? Like, this is for you, cookin peacocks, you handsome SOB

• Haha 3

Ugh, again, blame it on employment issues but if they were 3 months in, lost $20k and owe another $10K (which they can't pay), that's indicative of no business or Marketing plan. I'm sorry, but you can't feel bad for all businesses that exit the market. 

I feel bad for the money lost and time spent by the couple, but it sounds like they needed to strike gold ./ stick the landing in the first month to make this work. And that is not a good/realistic business plan...

Joe 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Ugh, again, blame it on employment issues but if they were 3 months in, lost $20k and owe another $10K (which they can't pay), that's indicative of no business or Marketing plan. I'm sorry, but you can't feel bad for all businesses that exit the market. 

I feel bad for the money lost and time spent by the couple, but it sounds like they needed to strike gold ./ stick the landing in the first month to make this work. And that is not a good/realistic business plan...

Joe 

I wondered the same. How many  vegetarian/no alcohol restaurants have worked DT? Based, on the woodtv8 article I felt like they performed little to no research about having a successful business plan.

On 9/15/2022 at 10:55 PM, egrguy said:

I wondered the same. How many  vegetarian/no alcohol restaurants have worked DT? Based, on the woodtv8 article I felt like they performed little to no research about having a successful business plan.

There have only been a handful of restaurants in GR that did not serve alcohol when they opened. But many of them would let you BYOB. But I don't know how you survive serving dinner without serving alcohol. Most of the profit is made on alcohol sales. That's a huge blunder on their part. 

Plus, imagine being a seasoned server or bartender, that can basically work anywhere. Are you going to jump ship from your current gig to a place that does not serve alcohol, i.e. smaller tips? Nope. 

They probably would have done a lot better out in Cascade or Kentwood, where there are larger Muslim populations, that would be OK with no alcohol. I rarely see Middle Eastern people downtown. 

https://www.wzzm13.com/article/news/local/a-very-warm-welcome-followed-by-a-very-cold-shoulder-restaurant-in-downtown-grand-rapids-closes-three-months-after-opening/69-9fe74fd0-8674-42e7-a5e9-91a836aa2658

I believe the large bar (middle/main floor) was brought here from ?Germany? or someplace in Europe and was from the turn of the century or earlier. The upstairs bar if that's what the article is talking  about i don't know much about. That main floor bar is a gem and would be a bummer to see gone.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, egrguy said:

Couldn't agree more... and to add (restaurant professionals feel free to educate me) but will two high end french themed restaurants really do well? I'm always surprised that Margaux at the JW is still French inspired, but hey, maybe they knock it out of the park.

I don't get the feeling it'll be anywhere near the level of Mertens in terms of price or how much French influence it has. They use terms like "American/French flavor" and "a little-higher end." I'm thinking it'll be a step above maybe like Winchester level food. I could be wrong, but it seems like they just want to differentiate themselves from the old Gardellas menu. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Social House is looking to expand their outdoor seating by adding a mezzanine. It looks pretty nice:

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 5.28.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 5.28.29 PM.png

I had never been to that place until a couple weeks ago we went after a wedding downtown. Didn't realize how clubby it was. It was raging until 2am and there were like 100 people out on the street either trying to get in or in various states of drunkenness trying to get home lol.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Pattmost20 said:

I had never been to that place until a couple weeks ago we went after a wedding downtown. Didn't realize how clubby it was. It was raging until 2am and there were like 100 people out on the street either trying to get in or in various states of drunkenness trying to get home lol.

My problem is every time I walk by, they are playing that "wagon wheel" pop country song and I hate pop country so much. I just assume it's that type of place. 

14 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Yeah, not my thing but glad they are doing well.

I think they opened well before Covid, but as more of a restaurant with a bar. I remember going there for dinner and it was SO empty, we felt awkward and left. Glad they pivoted and made it work. 

Same here. Though, it's somewhat tucked away and hard to see even from Fulton. I'd imagine a second floor mezzanine outside would raise visibility and make it more attractive to people who may forget it's there and not venture south of Fulton.