Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill

dbrok

Yeah, there will be two outdoor bars once we get through the cold winter.

Sorry I just saw this thread today....Haven't been on for a while. I went to the McFaddens grand opening and was not all that impressed. They did have Smithwicks though, so that made the waiting for snacks bareable, I thought the juggling leprecan(sp) dude was a bit much, but then after the DJ started blasting tunes it seemed to turn into your usual meat market kind of bar. By the way, he needs to check his mix...the bass was way over and I couldn't hear the tune at all. I'm sure there are plenty of people who love that kind of atmosphere, and that's cool...just not for me. Perhaps I'll go back for an actual dinner to give it another try. I wonder how they are going to do with Black Rose just down the street?? :huh:

Perhaps I'll go back for an actual dinner to give it another try. I wonder how they are going to do with Black Rose just down the street?? :huh:

I ate there on Friday and it was pretty good. Fed two people w/o alcohol for $17.00. It was kinda loud, but hey, it's a bar.

Also, I think it's probably going to draw a different crowd than The Black Rose does.. I think anyway.

Edited by twoshort

Also, I think it's probably going to draw a different crowd than The Black Rose does.. I think anyway.

From what I saw on Friday night, it is definitely a different crowd than Black Rose. I stopped in there around 10:30pm and because it was so crowded I couldn't make out much of the decor. It was like the same Tiki Bob crowd but with different background. The music was really loud both upstairs & down. It didn't matter much to me, I have fun anywhere....but the friend I was with didn't like it much.

From what I saw on Friday night, it is definitely a different crowd than Black Rose. I stopped in there around 10:30pm and because it was so crowded I couldn't make out much of the decor. It was like the same Tiki Bob crowd but with different background. The music was really loud both upstairs & down. It didn't matter much to me, I have fun anywhere....but the friend I was with didn't like it much.

Is their target to be a pub or a dance club? I think that if it's supposed to be a pub concept the dance club goers will stop going there to dance when they all realize it's not Tiki Bob's. I'm willing to bet a lot of people that have gone in there the past week were expecting Tiki's to be open and not a new Irish bar. But I haven't been there yet so maybe it's a night club with Irish decor.

this may have been mentioned and some of you might not care but Culvers recently opened a new location in cascade and red robin in grandville. culvers has been here for a few years now but this is GRs first RR, they are both premium fast food chains if you ask me pobably the 2 best as far as quality food and clean restraunts.

I've gotten take-out from XO a couple of times now. Green Curry with Flank Steak: very good! Pad Thai with Chicken: bad. I mean, not disgustingly bad (I ate all of it), but dry and pretty tasteless. I haven't tried any of the Chinese dishes yet, but for Thai food, I think I'll keep driving to 28th Street unless I'm really crunched for time.

Speaking of time -- and I HATE to add my voice to the chorus of folks usually complaining about this -- finding a parking spot at night on Monroe Center is a pain! I'll walk 10 or 15 blocks from a parking spot if I'm going to sit down and enjoy a meal downtown, but I think it's reasonable to expect some monitored free or even metered parking within a block of a restaurant that offers take-out. The city needs to start enforcing meters on Monroe Center 24 hours a day. Including some 10 minute parking only spots wouldn't be a bad idea either. If you want to get in and out of XO, Jimmy John's, Morado (the sushi place), Cafe Solace, etc., you're going to spend way too much time looking for a parking spot for take-out at any of these places to be convenient.