Orlando City Place

Jaybee

Heh..my [deleted] post was actually nothing negative about the project. I just pointed out that the latest rendering was fashioned by Baker Barrios but then realized that it has been common knowledge for a long time that they are the architects for this project.

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did anyone else see in the OBJ that they've begun discussions with grocers Whole Foods and Fresh Market, as well as entertainment venue Dave & Busters, about being anchors in the building. I was really skeptical about this being a viable destination for a downtown mall, especially since 500,000 SF is only half the size of Millenia, but if they can get places like Dave & Busters to come on board, it could be a destination for sure. Especially with the creative village being around the corner and being walking distance (albeit a long walk) from the new arena.

Also, the article said this phase is supposed to be open within three years, and the other four high rise towers would be in place within five years. The total cost is said to be between $2.5-3 billion.

Did anyone else see in the OBJ that they've begun discussions with grocers Whole Foods and Fresh Market, as well as entertainment venue Dave & Busters, about being anchors in the building. I was really skeptical about this being a viable destination for a downtown mall, especially since 500,000 SF is only half the size of Millenia, but if they can get places like Dave & Busters to come on board, it could be a destination for sure. Especially with the creative village being around the corner and being walking distance (albeit a long walk) from the new arena.

Also, the article said this phase is supposed to be open within three years, and the other four high rise towers would be in place within five years. The total cost is said to be between $2.5-3 billion.

A Dave and Busters has been noticeably absent from Orlando. I wonder why it's taking so long for them to open one here. I would think this market would support two. One in tourist land and another either downtown or in the North suburbs. I think City Place would be a great location and be a big draw.

A Dave and Busters has been noticeably absent from Orlando. I wonder why it's taking so long for them to open one here. I would think this market would support two. One in tourist land and another either downtown or in the North suburbs. I think City Place would be a great location and be a big draw.

Couldn't agree with you more! Those things are cash-cows... Too bad they don't franchise :(

Looks like a pipe dream to me.

Ok native, I'm typically very skeptical when it comes to these things, and I have always been skeptical of CityPlace as a whole (I can't see those towers coming to fruition for at least a decade) - but why not this proposed retail phase? Can I ask where your skepticism is based, coming from a fellow skeptic who isn't completely sure this phase couldn't happen???

Orlando'tive said it wont get built.

According to the current OBJ article, that would be news to the developers. I think orlandonative is just skeptical that it won't get built, not that there are any actual facts pointing to that (yet).

I think we're all skeptical that all of the proposed phases of City Place will come to fruition, but if they can line up viable retailers like Dave & Busters to anchor this retail component (granted, that's a big if), this phase at least could have legs to stand on. We'll see.

According to the current OBJ article, that would be news to the developers. I think orlandonative is just skeptical that it won't get built, not that there are any actual facts pointing to that (yet).

I think we're all skeptical that all of the proposed phases of City Place will come to fruition, but if they can line up viable retailers like Dave & Busters to anchor this retail component (granted, that's a big if), this phase at least could have legs to stand on. We'll see.

And a Fresh Market or Whole Foods.

I don't see this thing being built. that's my first impulse. But then again, I also thought Baldwin Park was going to suck back when I first entered the sales trailer before the first house was built. what do I know.

if this gets built, they need to alter the roadway network somehow to connect this to the other side of I-4 better w/o relying on Colonial. I dnk.

^How are they doing down there?

To the rest of this, I dont know. 50% of my scepticism is what I'm hearing, 25% is what im not hearing, and the other 25% is gut instinct. Besides "the word on the street", conventional wisdom tends to lead me to believe that taking all of downtowns developments total estimates and shifting it into one project is highly unrealistic. $2.5-3 Billion dollars? There is nobody in this town that currently has the name to put behind this much money. Some red flags (again, just my opinion): project estimates have nearly doubled in the last year, arena is moving further away, your still in Parramore, too tall, no major tenant(s), and too many other feasible projects closer too development right in the heart of the action (with tenants in place).

So I guess the questions then become, would this be more realistic if say, the location was different? Will the retail happen without the towers? (I doubt it). Would you guys be reasonably happy for this project to get built if it meant that nothing else goes up for the next five years (no M&M, no 400 North, no Cap Plaza III?). Only time will tell. Until that time arrives, i'm not holding my breath.

Orlandonative makes some excellent points-- I actually thought about the new arena location as a factor, but I think this is the first time its been mentioned. Its move could be a huge factor in this not getting built, or, that creative village might offset the effect of its move.

OCP is huge-- 3 huge towers. 3 Vues in essence. if OCP was proposed across the street of the new arena, then I'd say wow. Now, its like they are taking a big risk to be the catalist for new development and traffic on that portion of DT.

It's not like its on Orange Ave. but further down the road-- its off of an access road. A first class project off of an access road on one side, and Colonial on the other.

Orlandonative makes some excellent points-- I actually thought about the new arena location as a factor, but I think this is the first time its been mentioned. Its move could be a huge factor in this not getting built, or, that creative village might offset the effect of its move.

After spending a week in Berlin...I am inspired!.....I see alot of commonality with Orlando...especially on the newly revived east berlin side....what a vibe! WOW!

O'native, despite his common sense, infinite wisdom, and knowledge of construction, he is only human! Is he visionary...not for me to decide. He appears to be against anything that goes on the west side of I-4 and I haven't quite figured out why. Hmmm...

The point about OCP is that these guys spent approx. $30M to acquire that land and put about 2yrs worth of detail design and drawing creation. Yes they nickeled and dimed the Lexington because they were cash strapped, but once they get this occuppied, they should be able to find some investors to back them up. Do you think anything less than SMOG would justify their efforts? I think they probably received some kind of assurances from the City. I wouldn't be surprised to see the arena become a downtown convention center with hotels/retail/restaurants all around Lake Dot in front of the arena. I can't see the Salvation Army staying there much longer. It all ties in nicely with the redevelopment of the centroplex and FAMU/UCF.

I can feel the downtown excitement....all the way across the atlantic! The Europeans are here to stay.....who's next, the Japanese?!? :whistling:

p.s. I miss the "I love Parramore!!!" motto!?

I have noticed that they never put the sign on the Lexington, nor did they put any exterior lighting save the giant spotlight. What exactly do we know about the "nickel and dime" of the Lexington, b/c I haven't been there to see it up close yet.

I talked to a guy that was doing construction on the building and he said the units in the Lexington are awful. He said that anyone that buys one is in for so problems later on, they basically did a make over to make it look appealing but the construction underneath all the makeup is not so good. But that is hear say, so i dont know what the deal is the whole idea of a condo/hotel sounds ridiculous to me.

I have a question, and it probably somewhere on here, i just dont know where. There is a site just south of 50 and east of i4 that is being developed, they are putting in pipes and stuff and i cant figure out what is going there. There is a furniture store on 50, and the land i am talking about is right behind it next to the train tracks, is that the lightrail station or something????????????????????

I have a question, and it probably somewhere on here, i just dont know where. There is a site just south of 50 and east of i4 that is being developed, they are putting in pipes and stuff and i cant figure out what is going there. There is a furniture store on 50, and the land i am talking about is right behind it next to the train tracks, is that the lightrail station or something????????????????????

This is the Camden Orange Court apartment complex. It's a group of four-story buildings similar to the stuff further north on Orange Avenue. There will also be some ground-floor retail along Orange.

This is the Camden Orange Court apartment complex. It's a group of four-story buildings similar to the stuff further north on Orange Avenue. There will also be some ground-floor retail along Orange.

That is not very good, 4 stories this area should be like 40 stories, who approves this small stuff right in the downtown area. Just on the other side of i4 is going to be the City Place complex and that is going to be around 50 stories, arrrggg...... :cry:

That is not very good, 4 stories this area should be like 40 stories, who approves this small stuff right in the downtown area. Just on the other side of i4 is going to be the City Place complex and that is going to be around 50 stories, arrrggg...... :cry:

That was not the choice the PB was given. It wasn't 4 stories or 40 stories ... it was 4 stories or a weedy abandoned lot that generated very little taxes. Put it on the developer not the approvers.

Not sure if this belongs here or under that food topic, but Jim Philips (The Philips Phile) is raving about District Five at The Lexington. He said big city dining is now Downtown. Sounds good, sounds expensive!

Hmm....am I dreaming? How come the last time I went by there the restaurant in front appeared to be still under construction (at least on the outside).

Has someone actually been there? Are we talking about the same thing or is District Five restaurant on the inside of the main building? :unsure:

Archived