Orlando City Place

Jaybee

I did see that post and it basically stated that the Aviation Advisory Board (FAA) only raises concerns on safety issues and the MPB refers height concerns to them for review, but stated that they didn't have to follow the FAA advice or something like that. If the Ridgely Manor Condos can be 440 feet where it is at than i see know reason why this project (where it is at) can't be 550 feet. But i don't make the advisements to the MPB. Where did people get info on that 440 feet height for Ridgely?

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone want to take a crack at my earlier question about the FAA, whether they'd look more kindly on this project, seeing that it's several blocks farther away from the airport than other proposed towers ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The FAA has no binding legal authority here, they can only advise the city council/zoning board and OAA.

The question is whether or not the city council/zoning board and OAA [Orlando Aviation Authority] would approve it so, considering that the OAA [like the FAA] can only legally advise the city, it is completely up to the city council/zoning board.

I forget who it was, but a few months ago someone made a long post about how there isn't any law on the books prohibiting buildings from going above a certain height - it is just all pressure that the FAA puts on the MPB to have a downtown height restriction.  In the post from a few months ago, the poster had diagrams outlining approach patterns, and downtown Orlando isn't even in the way of the approach.  But, smaller aircraft are allowed to "cut in line" for approach, and doing that means flying directly over downtown Orlando before landing at the executive airport.

I myself have seen planes "cutting in line" to land; I have been looking out the window (I work in Copper Wopper) and have regularly seen planes flying due south directly over downtown and then bearing to the west to land.  This makes me think that the FAA would still raise hell even if a building west of I-4 wanted to go higher than their "restriction."

Does anyone else remember the post I referred to above?  It was one of the best posts I've seen on here, very informative.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was my post, thanks.

You are probably right that the FAA would, umm, "voice their concerns" over this. It really is just a matter of how adamant the city of Orlando is willing to be on the issue of height.

With the exception of the 'Glowing Cube' from a few years ago there have really never been any serious proposals for tall buildings in the CBD [and the financing was shaky on that one from the beginning] so there hasn't really been a worthy case to test the city's resolve.

I do however fault the Sentinel in propagating the urban myth that the FAA has [or even has the ability to] set some arbitrary height limit in the CBD. I would not be surprised if a few developers, just giving Orlando a cursory first look, turned away after reading in the Sentinel multiple times that, "The FAA has to approve

Jaybee, where do you get these wonderful pics? You must have an inside source at BBARCH or the MPB? Either way thanks...Please if you get any further details let us know. This project simply looks amazing.........I honestly don't mind the visors on these towers.....We need to create a new height category in Orlando.

1.) Height to the Roof

2.) Height to the top of the visor

Just a bit more info for those interested.

In certain cases where real intrusion into airspace may occur, the project owner may need to receive from the FAA what is known as a 'Determination of no hazard' approval [e.g. someone wanting to put a 300' short-wave antenna in their back yard].

My understanding is that the SunTrust tower obtained such an approval [though I don't think that they were legally required to do so because of height but rather because of possible antennae and proper lighting for same] and now everyone is sort of saying, "well, the FAA has no problem with buildings up to 'x' height" which over time has morphed into, "the FAA mandates a maximum height in the Orlando CBD as 'x' feet".

The fact remains that the Orlando CBD is outside of the FAA's control of KORL and it's approaches. The only legal authority the FAA really has over the CBD is to give these 'no hazard' approvals over things like building top features and antennae lighting and decoration, etc., but not the height itself.

Wow, if the building on the corner is an office building at 38 stories than those residential towers have got to be over 500 feet and 40-50 stories. Orlando City Place is the working name of this project but can you tell us who the participants are or is that not public yet? Just checked and OrlandoCityPlace.com was recently registered at Register.com. hmmm?

Just checked and it was registered Friday may 20,2005 to a man from rhs development out of madison, Wisconsin. Cool, keep watching rhsdevelopment.com

Hey UPSDan, did you add it yet? Detective Firemick

I can not believe how massive those residential towers are........Parramore will definetly need some more 30+ Story towers. As posters have mentioned before the drive down I-4 would be incredible with these on one side and Washington St Residential on the other......

A quote from RHSDevelopment.com...

"Future projects planned by RHS Companies, Inc. include the continued development of large, multi-faceted land tracts, as well as the development of condominium hotels in various markets throughout the United States."

I know the condo-hotel market is strong in orlando near the attractions, perhaps this could be a first move by that market into downtown for one of the towers???? Just speculating, of course.

I was thinking about the magnitude of this development:

5 times as many condos as the Solaire.

3 times as many condos as Ridgely Manor

It was mentioned earlier that there was 100,000 sq ft of office space. Wouldn't the front office tower have a lot more then that. You would think at least 500,000 sq ft for something of that size. It must be a mixed use tower.

Jaybee, great pics and I applaud you for finding them but where are these renderings from? Who is putting up the money? Is this a part of Buddy's "I have a dream" campaign that he's just putting out there to see if he can build interest? Maybe it's tried to trying to hold on to the Magic?

Ridgely may not be in front of the MBP, but the fact that realators are selling it gives it a little credance.

NuPizzuti is also not in front of the MBP, but the fact that the people who own the land have publicly stated a general conept, gives it a little credance.

Kodsi M&M is not in before the MBP, but Kodsi has an Orlando track record (Sanctuary, and hopefully Star Tower) that gives him some credance.

Even the old City Centre that didn't get built had a name and money behind it in Pizzuti.

Nice pictures, but where do we look for credance on this one?

Archived