Pendleton Street [between West End and West Greenville]

vicupstate

12 minutes ago, Dino Hassiotis said:

When we built the new Boston Lunch  in 1992 we hoped to be the one of the linchpins to the revitalization of Pendleton St.Now that revitalization is coming we are disposable,just like we were in the Piazza Bergamo.

There's a disconnect I see in your arguments. 

IF significant redevelopment occurs along this corridor, and Pendleton Street becomes a much more walkable environment (and people embrace it in that capacity), then the drive thru honestly has no business being there. Similar to the DENIAL of a drive thru Starbucks on Main Street in the West End this year.  There is no difference, except that Pendleton Street is at least 10 years behind the West End's Main Street. And while Pendleton Street is a different place at the PRESENT moment, the RDV zoning designation, and the VISION for the future of Pendleton Street hopes to guide its redevelopment, and rightfully make it a place where cars are less important and therefore drive thru establishments are not appropriate.

IF this area is much more desired, then you're going to be able to demand much higher rent anyway. So, this isn't a static discussion and vision for the future, which is where I don't see where your argument based on 2020 conditions hold water into the future. 

Edited by GvilleSC
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Dino Hassiotis said:

I was there and so was my attorney.This is not done by a longshot. The city will be answering in court.Depositions starting.

You absolutely should sue. Aughtry/Hughes sued ReWa for loss of value caused by the Big Dig running a tunnel hundreds of feet under new proposed convention center. If you can show that government has taken value from you, then they owe you the difference. I don't have much confidence in the success of your case (Aughtry/Hughes weren't able to get much), but it is your right to have this in front of a civil jury.

We built a drive through nearly thirty years ago in a run down depressed area of Greenville that had no value after running us out of our prior property. Now that it does,the city neferiously has proceeded to cause us financial difficulties again.The city will never apologize for what they did to our parents.Our only recourse is to fight for our constitutional rights in defense of our prior property and our current.

2 hours ago, transplant08 said:

I am also a fan of RDV zoning. Without zoning controls, some neighborhoods would be saturated with liquor stores, payday lending, pawn shops, etc. While those businesses may simply be responding to consumer demand, some residents want control over which goods and services can locate in their neighborhoods. RDV isn't perfect (it failed to stop Burger King), but it is often the last line of defense for some residents. 

For more background on the OJ's parcel, see this greenville journal article from 2 yrs ago: https://issuu.com/cjdesigns/docs/12_14_gj_issuu/4

After reading the story, this particular write-up (and quotes by the owner's son at that time) make it apparent that eminent domain was not used. The property was sold. The city may have applied pressure, but nothing illegal appears to have occurred from what I can tell. 

You absolutely should sue. Aughtry/Hughes sued ReWa for loss of value caused by the Big Dig running a tunnel hundreds of feet under new proposed convention center.

This is news to me, can you elaborate on what you are referring to. The city, county and state in addition to Aughtry/Hughes all want to see the convention center built.   

1 hour ago, Dino Hassiotis said:

We built a drive through nearly thirty years ago in a run down depressed area of Greenville that had no value after running us out of our prior property. Now that it does,the city neferiously has proceeded to cause us financial difficulties again.The city will never apologize for what they did to our parents.Our only recourse is to fight for our constitutional rights in defense of our prior property and our current.

But how does trying to make a place more livable really hurt the long term financial viability of your property? If your current property ends up being part of an extension of Main St, you win BIG, right?

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

This is news to me, can you elaborate on what you are referring to. The city, county and state in addition to Aughtry/Hughes all want to see the convention center built.   

civil case last year.  Trying to dig up the case file. This law firm handled ReWa's case. This hints at it but doesn't name names. https://bannisterandwyatt.com/mr-wyatt-and-the-big-dig/

Edited by transplant08

30 minutes ago, Dino Hassiotis said:

Pendleton St.should be the main route into downtown Greenville and a C3 rating is appropriate regardless of the name.

But... it's not. :ermm: It's a small neighborhood commercial street, not "the main route into downtown Greenville." Academy Street serves that purpose these days from that direction. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dino Hassiotis said:

It's previous C3 rating said otherwise 

Or was out-dated and incongruent with the future of the neighborhood and the City. I'm happy and thankful we have a City that looks to the future and is willing to evolve, invest in its neighborhoods, and enhance the community. I hate that you cannot see that as well. 

• Like 1

Since this change took effect, there has been more investment along this stretch of Pendleton than there was in the immediate prior years. The new building at Pendleton and Calhoun and the renovation of the long vacant building at 1122 Pendleton represent more investment than had been made for at least 5-10 years in this corridor.  To say nothing of the Academy/Pendleton project that is finishing up now (but that wasn't DIRECTLY affected by rezoning). 

Yes, you lost the chance to have a drive-thru in the future perhaps, but the value of the property in that corridor has not been detrimentally impacted, it has been the opposite. 

• Like 3

Dino is right. Why can’t he expand his restaurant but it’s perfectly fine for Burger King to build a brand new one just down the street? Makes no sense. The City of Greenville should be ashamed of themselves for playing favorites. 

Edited by gman430

23 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Dino is right. Why can’t he expand his restaurant but it’s perfectly fine for Burger King to build a brand new one just down the street? Makes no sense. The City of Greenville should be ashamed of themselves for playing favorites. 

I agree that limiting Dino in that regard is egregiously wrong. I'd be surprised if the City would want to preclude the expansion of OJ's. Has it been formally proposed and denied?