Pendleton Street [between West End and West Greenville]

vicupstate

56 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Dino is right. Why can’t he expand his restaurant but it’s perfectly fine for Burger King to build a brand new one just down the street? Makes no sense. The City of Greenville should be ashamed of themselves for playing favorites. 

It is not playing favorites as much as it is a zoning issue.  The city did not want BK to open there but they were within the law to do so. 

2 hours ago, vicupstate said:

It is not playing favorites as much as it is a zoning issue.  The city did not want BK to open there but they were within the law to do so. 

Yeah, the BK project straddled two parcels, one RDV and the other C3. BK initially got pushback from the neighborhood, but shifted the building footprint to stay off the RDV portion and thus were able to do what they wanted. That being said, I am not naive enough to think there was no favoritism going on. My larger point is that the city has been picking winners and losers for decades. Up until the creation of the RDV zoning tool, poorer neighborhoods have ALWAYS been on the losing side. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2021 at 4:12 PM, Spero said:

Why? Normal NIMBY reasons?

They have a homeowners association?  I have learned that when you live near or in a city, you need to pay attention to zoning and adjust your expectations accordingly when it comes what/who your neighbors might be one day.  I wonder what their argument is.

1 hour ago, gvegascple said:

They have a homeowners association?  I have learned that when you live near or in a city, you need to pay attention to zoning and adjust your expectations accordingly when it comes what/who your neighbors might be one day.  I wonder what their argument is.

It is a Neighborhood Association, so it is different from an HOA in a Condo or subdivision.  There are no rules or guidelines that residents have to adhere to. There are dues but they are nominal and voluntary.  They do act as an advocate for the group with the city though. 

There complaints revolve around additional traffic, lack of open space for the new residents, it being all-rental with no ownership options and the loss of trees that are on the site currently. They also objected to a multi-level garage being next to a SFH, but that is gone now.  

You are right, though in that people that move into an urban neighborhood sometimes still have suburban expectations. 

As I said earlier, I think this will eventually pass albeit with a few more tweaks being possible.       

The West End Neighborhood association (or association leadership anyway), has generally said that for the association to support the development, the developer has to significantly reduce density.    Part of a broad "Density is bad" stance that is common among the neighborhood associations as far as I can tell.   I tried to give some feedback that they would probably have much more success targeting more specific actions to make developments more walkable, more amenities, etc vs broad opposition.   They also have a new president for 2021, we'll see if anything changes.   

7 hours ago, vicupstate said:There complaints revolve around additional traffic, lack of open space for the new residents, it being all-rental with no ownership options and the loss of trees that are on the site currently. They also objected to a multi-level garage being next to a SFH, but that is gone now.  

So yes, normal NIMBY reasons. If you want the trees to stay then buy the lot yourself, Karen

45 minutes ago, Spero said:

So yes, normal NIMBY reasons. If you want the trees to stay then buy the lot yourself, Karen

For the record, I support the project, I was only relying the spoken sentiment of the majority of the group. BTW, probably 50-60% of the trees on  the project site, are on land that  was already owned by the public (the city).    

15 hours ago, vicupstate said:

For the record, I support the project, I was only relying the spoken sentiment of the majority of the group. BTW, probably 50-60% of the trees on  the project site, are on land that  was already owned by the public (the city).    

Yes, sorry, I was addressing the association as Karen. Nothing gets me worked up like an objection to development founded on traffic or existing amenities that people don’t own

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, Dino Hassiotis said:

Nice to see the sympathy for the misfortune of someone else from the friendly people of the  West end homeowners association 

I agree which is why a 30 story high rise needs to get constructed immediately in the West End.

9 hours ago, Dino Hassiotis said:

Nice to see the sympathy for the misfortune of someone else from the friendly people of the  West end homeowners association 

The property has been on the market for well over a year.  I heard it was under contract around a year ago. Since hearing nothing afterwards, I assumed the deal had fell thru. In all likelihood it just took awhile or a new deal is now in place. If so, they no doubt will soon get a nice payday.  The guy that owns it now ran for County Council last year, so I doubt he is strapped for cash.    

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, vicupstate said:

^^ I wish they would have put a more substantial buffer between the parking lot and Perry Ave. It certainly calls for that. 

Supposedly the first floor was going to be a restaurant.  Maybe once Covid is behind us, we will hear more on that.

That whole Pendleton / Academy Street intersection is way over engineered. I wish they'd bury those power lines in order to significantly landscape along Academy, and eliminate that turn lane to Perry Ave. It's not needed and would slow people down. 

I would rather see the lines buried on Pendleton St.  Pendleton could be a nice neighborhood commercial corridor but Academy is a US highway and real wide, it would be very difficult to transform it into anything other than what it is now. They was a plan to streetscape Pendleton but it is dormant for now.  

10 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

^^ I wish they would have put a more substantial buffer between the parking lot and Perry Ave. It certainly calls for that. 

Supposedly the first floor was going to be a restaurant.  Maybe once Covid is behind us, we will hear more on that.

Yeah, the first floor is slated to be a restaurant: https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/OQwYhHUN7S3wEx2TeVv3zvLVx_FcXD1XEP1IJEKGDis/Marketing Flyer.pdf The space is still for lease.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vicupstate said:

I would rather see the lines buried on Pendleton St.  Pendleton could be a nice neighborhood commercial corridor but Academy is a US highway and real wide, it would be very difficult to transform it into anything other than what it is now. They was a plan to streetscape Pendleton but it is dormant for now.  

Yes - ideally both streets would get lines installed underground to allow for a taller variety of street tree to be planted. Pendleton is certainly ripe for a road diet and a consistent streetscaping from Main to the Village. My vision for Academy, as a gateway to downtown, is more akin to Church Street's transformation -- ideally 5 lanes MAX, trees, wide sidewalk separated from the street (multi-use path for bicycle safety?), and handsome lighting for vehicles and pedestrians. It will always be what it is, but there are certainly ways to soften it as a neighborhood boundary, and make it safer as Unity Park opens and the number of residential units continue to multiply. 

• Like 2