Pendleton Street [between West End and West Greenville]

vicupstate

On 8/25/2021 at 5:19 PM, Dino Hassiotis said:

I thought the whole idea of RDV was to limit drive throughs and liquor houses?

I can't remember exactly, but in RDV,  I think a drive thru requires a zoning exception.   They will have to take it to the zoning review board.  

• 2 weeks later...

On 8/25/2021 at 9:30 AM, NewlyUpstate said:

I've seen drive-thru configurations like this in mixed use buildings in other areas of the country and I feel like it's worked well with the right tenant. That being said... any guesses?

I believe Bridge City Coffee has a drive through. Who else?

A-ha, so I was correct

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/2021/09/07/bridge-city-coffee-growing-company-furthering-mission-helping-community/5700985001/

Thank God it's not a Starbucks. I think Bridgec City would fit perfect right here 

On 8/28/2021 at 7:52 AM, chuckyvt said:

I can't remember exactly, but in RDV,  I think a drive thru requires a zoning exception.   They will have to take it to the zoning review board.  

The BZA board approved the Special Exception for the drive-thru, with conditions. I believe one of the conditions is that if a different operator (besides Bridge City) sought to operate there, they would need to re-apply. 

This is only for the drive-thru. I believe Planning Commission and BRD approvals are still required for the project as a whole.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dino Hassiotis said:

Does this set a precedent that locally owned businesses will all be granted a  special exemption to (build,own,operate) a drive thru in the  Pendleton St RDV zoning district?

I would say that it does, although the degree of which might be up for debate.  One reason they were more amenable to approving this as opposed to the one by the Baseball stadium is that the zoning is not C-4 (as it is by the stadium) where the expectation is zero lot lines between buildings.  I think it also helped that the existing convenience store had very wide 'curb access' that is being reduced to a fraction of that length with this project.

2 hours ago, hauntedheadnc said:

Hm... I hadn't been able to read the article about this place and see where it was before now.  I hope it won't affect Crafty Cats to have another coffee shop so close.  I love that place.  

I was very underwhelmed by that place when I went. Their breakfast food seemed microwaved and their coffee was just okay. Bex Cafe is already right down the street and much much superior.

Edited by NewlyUpstate

1 hour ago, NewlyUpstate said:

I was very underwhelmed by that place when I went. Their breakfast food seemed microwaved and their coffee was just okay. Bex Cafe is already right down the street and much much superior.

A lavender dirty chai that I had there was the first coffee I'd had in Greenville that was as good as what I was used to back in Asheville, so they've got a place in my heart.  I don't get to go there very often though.  I'm much more apt to find myself either at Crave out in the burbs, or Coffee Underground.  

Edited by hauntedheadnc

54 minutes ago, Dino Hassiotis said:

I can't understand how a zoning ordinance can allow a local business to have the right to operate yet deny that to a corporate owned business.

Technically they didn't base it on that, and if a different LOCAL operator sought to backfill the space, they would need a new approval as well (as would a national one) . HOWEVER, the local residents were definitely more accepting of it because it was local, so it did have an impact.    

• 3 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Dino Hassiotis said:

It appears that nobody wants to comment on arbitrary and capricious,let me put it another way.Cherry picking is illegal.The fact that RDV has been used as a  basis for who can and who cannot do business on Pendleton St is cherry picking.Therefore RDV is an illegal zoning ordinance.

Every law is subject to interpretation by the staff, elected officials, judges and juries that deal with them. While the ordinance is still new, I have yet to see anyone stopped from doing what they wanted under that classification.  Exceptions under the ordinance are just that and no one should expect a guaranteed outcome.       

How can you differentiate between a  locally based  business and a local  franchisee of a corporate business?They would both be locally owned.Denying a use based on potential traffic is illogical,who's to say that a local business would cause less congestion?Does the city and West End home owners association  have the right to decide the highest and best use of privately owned properties?RDV has the potential for terrible abuse of power and authority 

2 hours ago, Dino Hassiotis said:

How can you differentiate between a  locally based  business and a local  franchisee of a corporate business?They would both be locally owned.Denying a use based on potential traffic is illogical,who's to say that a local business would cause less congestion?Does the city and West End home owners association  have the right to decide the highest and best use of privately owned properties?RDV has the potential for terrible abuse of power and authority 

I don't recall anyone saying the traffic would be more or less based on it being locally owned or not a national franchise.  The owner decided what they wanted to build on the property, not the WENA or the city. 

I'm not interested in tower cranes.All I want is a zoning classification that has my rights and restrictions defined.The ability to convey these rights and restrictions to any potential future investor makes a significant impact on the value of the property.Investors are less likely to be interested in a property if zoning regulations are not clearly defined and applied.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2021 at 9:05 AM, vicupstate said:

Every law is subject to interpretation by the staff, elected officials, judges and juries that deal with them. While the ordinance is still new, I have yet to see anyone stopped from doing what they wanted under that classification.  Exceptions under the ordinance are just that and no one should expect a guaranteed outcome.       

Our lawsuit against the city of Greenville is finally coming up on the docket.We will be arguing that RDV is an illegal zoning ordinance.At this time my brother and I are interested in hearing from other parties that are of the same opinion.I can be contacted through this forum, we are looking for some support.Fighting the city will not be easy for us,and any help would be greatly appreciated !

2 hours ago, Dino Hassiotis said:

Our lawsuit against the city of Greenville is finally coming up on the docket.We will be arguing that RDV is an illegal zoning ordinance.At this time my brother and I are interested in hearing from other parties that are of the same opinion.I can be contacted through this forum, we are looking for some support.Fighting the city will not be easy for us,and any help would be greatly appreciated !

Hope you all win too. Begs the question of how a Burger King can be allowed but a Starbucks can’t in the same area? 

12 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Hope you all win too. Begs the question of how a Burger King can be allowed but a Starbucks can’t in the same area? 

The same way you can drive 70 mph on an interstate but not on Main Street.  

The city tried to prevent the Burger King, but there was little it could do legally. 

For a decade of better, there was very little if any investment in the commercial section of Pendleton Street. Since the rezoning, there has been a significant amount of investment, which is what the intention was.  By raising the bar of what can and can't be build there, investment is flowing in because those investments will be safer.    

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

The same way you can drive 70 mph on an interstate but not on Main Street.  

The city tried to prevent the Burger King, but there was little it could do legally. 

For a decade of better, there was very little if any investment in the commercial section of Pendleton Street. Since the rezoning, there has been a significant amount of investment, which is what the intention was.  By raising the bar of what can and can't be build there, investment is flowing in because those investments will be safer.    

How is RDV raising the bar? Special exemptions for the rich and powerful,nada for the rest of us

9 minutes ago, Dino Hassiotis said:

How is RDV raising the bar? Special exemptions for the rich and powerful,nada for the rest of us

I can invest in the area without worrying about a used car lot going up across the street. Something that would add no foot traffic, break up the street façade, and be a dead zone 24/7.  The city is trying to create a higher density pedestrian oriented commercial zone. The street had outlived its use as a highway commercial zone, thus the high vacancy, downtrodden appearance and lack of investment. 

You should be glad a special exception was granted for the coffee shop because it set precedence if you should ever need one.       

• Like 3