Pendleton Street [between West End and West Greenville]

vicupstate

4 minutes ago, Dino Hassiotis said:

This is a public forum and I have the right to express myself,If we lose we will at least have defended ourselves.The consequences for the City will be much worse if they lose.

I hope your lawyer is knowledgeable and isn't taking you for a ride. The thoughts expressed on this forum seem to be driven much more by emotion and disjointed thoughts than actual cohesive argument. I wish you luck in defending your interests, but I disagree with your vision for Pendleton Street. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Dino Hassiotis said:

This is a public forum and I have the right to express myself,If we lose we will at least have defended ourselves.The consequences for the City will be much worse if they lose.

I never said that you didn’t. Just curious if you will stop posting about it once it’s resolved or will you continue to bemoan to all of us. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, johnpro318 said:

I never said that you didn’t. Just curious if you will stop posting about it once it’s resolved or will you continue to bemoan to all of us. 

On 12/16/2018 at 10:22 AM, Aruffin07 said:

https://greenvillejournal.com/2018/12/12/123067/

the Greenville Journal has published (in my opinion) a very skewed article on this topic. The property owner featured here was very vocal and disruptive at the most recent community meeting on the rezoning. He took the tactic of saying that all of the city responses to his questions were lies and has found a friend in the Journal who seemingly did not bother to get supporting documentation for any of Dino’s claims. I hope all of you in support of this zoning proposal will write to the journal and attend the meeting at 4 pm on 

I was attacked on this forum before I ever posted a word.I will continue to post as long as I am allowed to.I have that right and the right to defend myself in court.Does that satisfy your curiosity?

19 hours ago, johnpro318 said:

A simple no would have sufficed. 

I'm with Johnpro318 on this one, after a while this starts to look like trolling the forums with a personal agenda.  The horse has been sufficiently beaten IMHO.  Best of luck to Dino with his family's lawsuit if it has merit, I hope that it works out for them in their particular situation, however, their grandfathered needs should not supersede the city's as it grows.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2021 at 4:55 PM, Dino Hassiotis said:

I see that Perry Avenue is being repaved.It seems to me that painting a couple of bike lanes on either side would be safer than going down Pendleton St for bicyclists myself included.

If Augusta Rd is getting a road diet, I would expect one on Pendleton (including protected bike lanes) as well instead of Perry.  The future of these roads I think is mapped out in one of the master plans.  It is odd that Perry is getting repaved, possibly hinting at something, but it could also just be due. 

Here is what I could find from one of the plans (below), the only thing I saw for Perry was adding a pedestrian crossing at Academy, although I do remember seeing a plan where they wanted to add a cross street between Perry and Pendleton as part of the future development of the Kash and Karry shopping center.

image.thumb.png.1ca18b5ff166838f01ba336ed8e35647.png

Edited by gvegascple
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dino Hassiotis said:

Both of those proposals have an elevated 4 foot wide median.Both of those proposals would be detrimental to free flow of traffic,and business development.The most economic,safest option is to route bicycle traffic down Perry then back onto Pendleton St via Leach and then across 123 to the Village.Logical and Simple.

What is more likely to happen in the case you mention is the use of a shared middle lane for turns (a la what is proposed for Augusta road) in lieu of a permanent bicycle only detour although with a road diet, to keep the now  single lane flows of traffic moving, it makes sense to restrict turning for traffic flow and safety.  If Pendleton has the width, I would expect to see that median to keep cars moving.  The future of Pendleton street is planned to be geared to be more neighborhood/pedestrian focused, not automobile.  I wouldn't expect it to stay the way it was ten or twenty years ago forever.  This seems to fit in with general patterns of city growth.   You seem to be asking for having your cake and eating it too.  A raised median, making it more difficult to cross traffic at will for cars which you state is detrimental to free flow and business development, protects pedestrians and cyclists by focusing these more dangerous turns into specific areas.  Augusta road will be pushing for less turning and curb-cuts after the last pedestrian fatality.  You cant have safe cycling/walking AND at will turning for business, they are at odds.  The notion of rerouting bike traffic in this one spot because you happen to have a business there and want to have both cycle safely and not have your business affected makes it look like there is only person you are concerned about, and we have to share this city with everyone else.  No one is stopping you from riding down Perry either,  with or without a bike lane. 

Edited by gvegascple
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, gvegascple said:

What is more likely to happen in the case you mention is the use of a shared middle lane for turns (a la what is proposed for Augusta road) in lieu of a permanent bicycle only detour although with a road diet, to keep the now  single lane flows of traffic moving, it makes sense to restrict turning for traffic flow and safety.  If Pendleton has the width, I would expect to see that median to keep cars moving.  The future of Pendleton street is planned to be geared to be more neighborhood/pedestrian focused, not automobile.  I wouldn't expect it to stay the way it was ten or twenty years ago forever.  This seems to fit in with general patterns of city growth.   You seem to be asking for having your cake and eating it too.  A raised median, making it more difficult to cross traffic at will for cars which you state is detrimental to free flow and business development, protects pedestrians and cyclists by focusing these more dangerous turns into specific areas.  Augusta road will be pushing for less turning and curb-cuts after the last pedestrian fatality.  You cant have safe cycling/walking AND at will turning for business, they are at odds.  The notion of rerouting bike traffic in this one spot because you happen to have a business there and want to have both cycle safely and not have your business affected makes it look like there is only person you are concerned about, and we have to share this city with everyone else.  No one is stopping you from riding down Perry either,  with or without a bike lane. 

Agreed. As a West End resident, I'd like to see less "free flow" of traffic to allow for greater pedestrian/cyclist safety. It would actually benefit a lot of the businesses in the area as it would increase the overall foot traffic. 

Both of those proposals have an elevated 4 foot wide median.Both of those proposals would be detrimental to free flow of traffic,and business development.The most economic,safest option is to route bicycle traffic down Perry then back onto Pendleton St via Leach and then across 123 to the Village.Logical and Simple.

Business development is not dependent on "free flow of traffic". That kind of mindset might be true for the suburbs (even then, I'm skeptical), but definitely not for an in town business. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you look at the photo both the Family Legacy building and the Trehel building have vacant floor level retail space and have for some time.Businesses will not come to Pendleton St already because of RDV,how would restricting access help?That proposal makes it nice for pedestrians and cyclists,but if it's not retail friendly what does it leave Pendleton St as? Only a conduit from Main St.to the Village at West end?

If you look at the photo both the Family Legacy building and the Trehel building have vacant floor level retail space and have for some time.Businesses will not come to Pendleton St already because of RDV,how would restricting access help?That proposal makes it nice for pedestrians and cyclists,but if it's not retail friendly what does it leave Pendleton St as? Only a conduit from Main St.to the Village at West end?

The fact that you think it would “restrict” access shows a car-centric mindset. This has been shown time and time again not to be the case. Encouraging pedestrian and cycle access increases business. After all, you can get a lot more people in one place if they walk there than drive there. 

And I would argue that those locations on Pendleton haven’t been filled precisely because Pendleton is built like a 4 lane highway. Who would want to eat outside at a restaurant as cars whiz by? Who would want their office to look out onto an asphalt desert? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, GMoxley said:

And I would argue that those locations on Pendleton haven’t been filled precisely because Pendleton is built like a 4 lane highway. Who would want to eat outside at a restaurant as cars whiz by? Who would want their office to look out onto an asphalt desert? 

THIS 

Edited by gvegascple

16 hours ago, Dino Hassiotis said:

You just listed two developments that have come to Pendleton recently in your own argument that businesses will not come so no need to respond to that.    Slowing traffic increases safety and allows for a focus on businesses instead of zooming past them.  Your current view seems to be dependent on Pendleton remaining just an automobile focused higher speed thoroughfare to the village.  I would expect density on Pendleton to only increase going forward.  Instead of focusing on how to cling to how things were, for your business there, it might make more sense to look at how to adapt to how things are and will be going forward.  This area is going to become more valuable as an existing business owner not less.  The spot you mentioned under Trehel is slated to become the new owner of WOW's location if I am not mistaken.  The gas station that was demolished is slated for a mixed use development and I believe a coffee shop.  Residential infill is happening along secondary streets.  Foot and cyclist traffic is increasing as the street becomes safer to walk and ride on and more people move to the area.   You seem to be looking for examples to confirm your bias and its clouding your view of what is happening around you.  

Edited by gvegascple
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, gvegascple said:

You just listed two developments that have come to Pendleton recently in your own argument that businesses will not come so no need to respond to that.    Slowing traffic increases safety and allows for a focus on businesses instead of zooming past them.  Your current view seems to be dependent on Pendleton remaining just an automobile focused higher speed thoroughfare to the village.  I would expect density on Pendleton to only increase going forward.  Instead of focusing on how to cling to how things were, for your business there, it might make more sense to look at how to adapt to how things are and will be going forward.  This area is going to become more valuable as an existing business owner not less.  The spot you mentioned under Trehel is slated to become the new owner of WOW's location if I am not mistaken.  The gas station that was demolished is slated for a mixed use development and I believe a coffee shop.  Residential infill is happening along secondary streets.  Foot and cyclist traffic is increasing as the street becomes safer to walk and ride on and more people move to the area.   You seem to be looking for examples to confirm your bias and its clouding your view of what is happening around you.  

I don't see why this always ends up being a personal attack. My bias and cloudy view aside, All we want is to see some growth and prosperity on Pendleton St. 

14 minutes ago, Dino Hassiotis said:

I don't see why this always ends up being a personal attack. My bias and cloudy view aside, All we want is to see some growth and prosperity on Pendleton St. 

I didn’t read any of these comments as a personal attack. Myself and others just vehemently disagree with you on what will bring growth and prosperity to this street.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Dino Hassiotis said:

It seems as though what you want to see is limited to only your personal growth and prosperity without much consideration for those around you.  Any mention that challenges this viewpoint, which you also seem to be unyielding in, you take offense and are quick to play the role of the victim.    When you post a viewpoint on a public forum, you also have to be prepared to hear views that disagree with yours.  This is becoming a recurring theme with your posts and how you respond to feedback.  

Edited by gvegascple
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The car wash has been there for decades and  is still operating. Otherwise everything you have pictured was just as vacant when it was zoned C3. In fact the Trehel building was a vacant single story building when it was zoned C3. Now it is a three story 66% occupied building.   The Family Legacy building property was a vacant single story building as well. Now it is two stories and 50% occupied. 

The car wash property has been staked off so a sale may very well be imminent. 

• Like 1